iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tick bit

Started by bandmiller2, January 24, 2017, 04:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Swamper, just wait til that ice melts you will have them, any temp above freezing. Went bird hunting in nov. there was a hard white frost sat down to rest and picked twenty something ticks off my pants. I wish that Lyme vaccine had worked out. I tell my doctor the ticks bought him a new car, he didn't deny it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SwampDonkey

In the woods all day in the spring until winter, never seen a deer tick. I have seen 2 wood ticks up here in 50 years.

In Nova Scotia, wood ticks are bad, seen lots down there around Bridgewater. But never seen deer ticks.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

I was fortunate to get the Lyme vaccine back in the 90s just before it was pulled from the market.
Only have had 1 tick bite since, got it off within 4 hrs
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kbeitz

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 28, 2017, 11:04:55 AM
I was fortunate to get the Lyme vaccine back in the 90s just before it was pulled from the market.
Only have had 1 tick bite since, got it off within 4 hrs

Why was it pulled ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Google is your friend:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Kb, just a note, it was not necessary to quote what I said.  Your reply immediately followed mine and the train of thought/conversation was never broken.  Notice that I did not quote your question before I answered it.

You had also quoted petefrom bearswamp's reply which was unnecessary.

Unnecessary quotes tend to clutter up the reply and are just that.  Unnecessary.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I just wanted the thanks to go to the right person.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Swamper, count your blessings the trouble with deer ticks is you usually don't see them until the itchy red lump. I fear like wild hogs and killer bees ticks are moving north. When I was growing up back in the 50's we didn't have deer ticks just the old big dog ticks and you could feel or see them easily. Stay warm mate. Frank C.

Magicman

I understand Kb, but read back through and you will see my point. 

Jeff has often threatened to woodshed the quote because of redundant quotes.  Sometime replies contain quotes of quotes which is certainly confusing at best.   smiley_dizzy

Kbeitz

Yep... Got it ... Thanks
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ChugiakTinkerer

That OTOM TickTwister looks incredibly useful.  Thanks for the link.
Woodland Mills HM130

plantman

The problem with tests for Lyme is that they are notorious for being unreliable. I don't know if they have better tests today.
I've read that the fall is the most active time for deer tick activity as the ticks are trying to find something warm to latch on to.
Problem with deer ticks is that they are very small , much smaller than wood ticks.

Arkyrick

I read somewhere if you eat pickled garlic it will repel ticks, I do that when I plan on being in tick territory and it seems to work. My wife is a tick magnet and doesn't like pickled garlic she always gets them and I almost never get bit. Or kissed by her ;D
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

WV Sawmiller

We used to swear by sulfur to keep pests away. used to eat Sulfur cream of tarter tablets when chiggers were bad. Grandpa used to dust sulfur in his shoes thinking his skin absorbed enough to keep skeeters and ticks and chiggers away. He used to drop a drop of syrup in sulfur and roll it around to make a ball he'd swallow. I know neighbors around an Artesian well that was high in sulfur and we'd be swatting skeeters like crazy and they would act like nothing around them. I assume sulfur works with ticks as well as mosquitoes and chiggers. May be like chicken soup - can't hurt and might help.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

plantman

In my landscaping business some people will spray a solution of cedar oil around the yard to repel insects like ticks. I would seriously consider spraying my clothing down with cedar oil solution and perhaps even wiping it on my skin . There are other natural oils and extracts also used to repel insects.

petefrom bearswamp

Dont know where I have been the past couple of months but just got back on this thread.
Lynn thanks for the link, I had my vaccination in the late 90s so maybe I have been living with a false sense of security.
Our local publication, the NY outdoor news runs an ad by a doc specializing in Lyme stuff with a lengthy list of symptoms.
I'll have to be more careful.
I have a tick spoon but the twister is intriguing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bandmiller2

Plantman, spraying your self with cedar oil can't hurt, very worst you will smell like a hope chest. I'am in the woods often and find if I don't rub agents brush and check my pants for crawlers I get by. Frank C.

Chuck White

Try using "REPEL", it contains permethrin and according to the label it repels and kills ticks!

Spray it on your boots, pants cuffs backpacks, and the ticks stay away!

I got mine in a 3-Pack at Walmart 2 years ago, a spray-down can last up to 2 weeks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

D6c

I've been bit by deer ticks about 6 times in the last 3-4 years....so far no problems but it makes me nervous.
There seem to be at least 3 kinks of the very small ticks around here....tiny black ones, brown ones, and black with a white spot, as well as the bigger wood ticks that we've always had.

I've gone to using permethrin on my jeans, boots & sometimes t-shirts.  (available at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/19887389?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227016955202&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40968071432&wl4=pla-78911120912&wl5=9017898&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_multichannel&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=19887389&wl13=&veh=sem ).   

One thing that seems to help as much as anything is blousing my pant legs into my boots military style (I wear desert boots so it's easy)
That way ticks can't crawl up the inside of your pants and attach to your sensitive parts they seem to love.  With the permethrin on my jeans, I've seen wood ticks crawl up to about my knee, start acting funny, then fall off dead.
Had one doctor seem surprised I knew about permethrin....said it's the same thing they use to treat scabies.

tareece

Quote from: plantman on March 19, 2017, 09:50:22 PM
In my landscaping business some people will spray a solution of cedar oil around the yard to repel insects like ticks. I would seriously consider spraying my clothing down with cedar oil solution and perhaps even wiping it on my skin . There are other natural oils and extracts also used to repel insects.
I use "cedarcide" ... It's freezing awesome...Ticks and fleas die die die.
Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

plantman

Quote from: tareece on March 23, 2017, 10:52:01 PM

Cedarcide  ? I'll have to look for that one. "freezing awesome" ? is that anything like neat-o' awesome ? So what you are saying is that it works well , correct ? I'm a little skeptical of these products because the mix appears very modest using a natural product. How exactly do you use this "cedarcide" product ?

nativewolf

Quote from: plantman on March 24, 2017, 01:41:06 PM
Quote from: tareece on March 23, 2017, 10:52:01 PM

Cedarcide  ? I'll have to look for that one. "freezing awesome" ? is that anything like neat-o' awesome ? So what you are saying is that it works well , correct ? I'm a little skeptical of these products because the mix appears very modest using a natural product. How exactly do you use this "cedarcide" product ?

My goodness, I don't know why this is not better publicized but you should spray all outerwear with Pyrethrin, it is tick killing chemical but has natural origins; it is in lots of products and they will all work.  This is the only really safe thing to apply to clothes to kill ticks (fleas, redbugs, etc) that will crawl on you.  If your pants, boots, socks are sprayed and not washed it will last for some time (read label!).  Keep everything tucked in and don't leave gaps.  If you do this properly you will have done the maximum and best effort to keep disease free.   No guess work, no "try this it worked for my friend"; no off label crap that could give you cancer. 
Liking Walnut

ChugiakTinkerer

Permethrin Pyrethrin is an awesome insecticide in aerosol form.  I installed a battery-powered dispenser at my cabin and it is like the wall of death for mosquitos and deer flies.  Practically harmless to mammals and birds,  but it does have an effect on fish.  My dispenser has a warning not to use it near fish tanks.

Edit: Whoops, got the wrong product.  Pyrethrin is a general insecticide and repellent derived from chrysanthemum.  Permethrin is apparently a synthesized variant that is more potent.  Permethrin does have a toxic effect on cats.
Woodland Mills HM130

Thank You Sponsors!