TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Tick bit  (Read 2252 times)

Offline plantman

• I'm new!
Re: Tick bit
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 09:50:22 pm »
In my landscaping business some people will spray a solution of cedar oil around the yard to repel insects like ticks. I would seriously consider spraying my clothing down with cedar oil solution and perhaps even wiping it on my skin . There are other natural oils and extracts also used to repel insects.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 07:57:56 am »
Dont know where I have been the past couple of months but just got back on this thread.
Lynn thanks for the link, I had my vaccination in the late 90s so maybe I have been living with a false sense of security.
Our local publication, the NY outdoor news runs an ad by a doc specializing in Lyme stuff with a lengthy list of symptoms.
I'll have to be more careful.
I have a tick spoon but the twister is intriguing.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 06:06:34 pm »
Plantman, spraying your self with cedar oil can't hurt, very worst you will smell like a hope chest. I'am in the woods often and find if I don't rub agents brush and check my pants for crawlers I get by. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 08:36:09 am »
Try using "REPEL", it contains permethrin and according to the label it repels and kills ticks!

Spray it on your boots, pants cuffs backpacks, and the ticks stay away!

I got mine in a 3-Pack at Walmart 2 years ago, a spray-down can last up to 2 weeks!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline D6c

• I'm new!
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 09:06:11 am »
I've been bit by deer ticks about 6 times in the last 3-4 years....so far no problems but it makes me nervous.
There seem to be at least 3 kinks of the very small ticks around here....tiny black ones, brown ones, and black with a white spot, as well as the bigger wood ticks that we've always had.

I've gone to using permethrin on my jeans, boots & sometimes t-shirts.  (available at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/19887389?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227016955202&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40968071432&wl4=pla-78911120912&wl5=9017898&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_multichannel&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=19887389&wl13=&veh=sem ).   

One thing that seems to help as much as anything is blousing my pant legs into my boots military style (I wear desert boots so it's easy)
That way ticks can't crawl up the inside of your pants and attach to your sensitive parts they seem to love.  With the permethrin on my jeans, I've seen wood ticks crawl up to about my knee, start acting funny, then fall off dead.
Had one doctor seem surprised I knew about permethrin....said it's the same thing they use to treat scabies.

Offline tareece

• I'm new!
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2017, 10:52:01 pm »
In my landscaping business some people will spray a solution of cedar oil around the yard to repel insects like ticks. I would seriously consider spraying my clothing down with cedar oil solution and perhaps even wiping it on my skin . There are other natural oils and extracts also used to repel insects.
I use "cedarcide" ... It's freezing awesome...Ticks and fleas die die die.
Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

Offline plantman

• I'm new!
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2017, 01:41:06 pm »

Cedarcide  ? I'll have to look for that one. "freezing awesome" ? is that anything like neat-o' awesome ? So what you are saying is that it works well , correct ? I'm a little skeptical of these products because the mix appears very modest using a natural product. How exactly do you use this "cedarcide" product ?

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2017, 01:56:39 pm »

Cedarcide  ? I'll have to look for that one. "freezing awesome" ? is that anything like neat-o' awesome ? So what you are saying is that it works well , correct ? I'm a little skeptical of these products because the mix appears very modest using a natural product. How exactly do you use this "cedarcide" product ?

My goodness, I don't know why this is not better publicized but you should spray all outerwear with Pyrethrin, it is tick killing chemical but has natural origins; it is in lots of products and they will all work.  This is the only really safe thing to apply to clothes to kill ticks (fleas, redbugs, etc) that will crawl on you.  If your pants, boots, socks are sprayed and not washed it will last for some time (read label!).  Keep everything tucked in and don't leave gaps.  If you do this properly you will have done the maximum and best effort to keep disease free.   No guess work, no "try this it worked for my friend"; no off label crap that could give you cancer. 

Offline ChugiakTinkerer

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2017, 04:37:05 pm »
Permethrin Pyrethrin is an awesome insecticide in aerosol form.  I installed a battery-powered dispenser at my cabin and it is like the wall of death for mosquitos and deer flies.  Practically harmless to mammals and birds,  but it does have an effect on fish.  My dispenser has a warning not to use it near fish tanks.

Edit: Whoops, got the wrong product.  Pyrethrin is a general insecticide and repellent derived from chrysanthemum.  Permethrin is apparently a synthesized variant that is more potent.  Permethrin does have a toxic effect on cats.
Woodland Mills HM130