iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic Power Issue

Started by Warren, March 04, 2017, 07:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren

Good evening.  Been gone for a while, but, starting to do a little sawing again.  Mill has set idle, under cover, for the past 2 years.  Had to replace the battery to get the mill to crank and start.  However, the battery on the mill will not drive the hydraulic pumps.  If I connect a battery charger to the frame and the brass power strip on the side of the mill, the pumps seem to run O.K.   So, assuming that I either need to (a) fix the power connection at the brass strip on the side of the mill, or, (b) may have some other breaker or fuse blown in the operator console.

I have confirmed that none of the little breakers on the 4 corners of the operator console have tripped.  Seems that I have forgotten what little I knew about what was on the inside of the console.   Looking for constructive suggestions on where to start looking.

Thank you!
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Magicman

Shine the contact strip (emery cloth, wire brush, or whatever) and then look and be sure that the spring loaded brass contact button is engaging the strip.  If you do not have 12 volts at the contact button, then you have either a fuse or a cable connection problem.  The other item in the hydraulic circuit is the spring loaded ground that rides along the bottom rail.  The bottom rail needs to be clean/shiny and the ground contact firmly against the bottom rail.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cazzhrdwd

There's two steel fuse strips inside a small box where the main power wires go into the battery. I just cut some steel strapping to replace them.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Magicman on March 04, 2017, 08:13:08 PM
Shine the contact strip (emery cloth, wire brush, or whatever) and then look and be sure that the spring loaded brass contact button is engaging the strip.  If you do not have 12 volts at the contact button, then you have either a fuse or a cable connection problem.  The other item in the hydraulic circuit is the spring loaded ground that rides along the bottom rail.  The bottom rail needs to be clean/shiny and the ground contact firmly against the bottom rail.

Mine gets affected by any amount of oil. Wiping it clean with laquer thinner gets it going.

Warren, It wouldn't be the steel strips as your mill wouldn't start. MM has the correct advice, the copper strip and brass block need to be clean.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

BBTom

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Warren

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the quick response.  I'll start with buffing the contact strip and bottom rail. Will post back results.

Been gone several years and the place is just as helpful as before...   ;D

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Magicman

I do no believe that the older sawmill models had solenoids.  Even with the key off, if the sawmill was/is left at the front of the sawmill, the hydraulics are "hot".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BBTom

My 2001 has one, well had one, til I got tired of replacing them.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Warren

Shined the strip and brass shoe with some emery cloth.   Still no hydraulic power.  Will check the fuse strips and look to see if I have a hydraulic solenoid.   I did find my multi meter over the weekend.  Now that I have the multi meter, I may call WM support and have them step me thru it...

MartyParsons

Hello,
  with a 12 volt test light.

Start at the battery negative to positive check connections

Check at fuse, there should be two fuses on the hydraulic post on a Super ( please dont put metal across the fuse area)

Check across the the two big posts on the solenoid in the fuse block. Ignition key must be on.

Check the Brass contact that moves on the saw head.

With the saw head on the front 6' of the frame, check the contact strip brass should be shiny not green

Remove the hydraulic box cover. On a super there are two solenoids ( same part as in the box) You should have power to one big post on each solenoid.

If you have 12 volt to one of the big terminals on both solenoids then you need to check the micro switch that closes the solenoid connection. You can check this with your volt ohm meter or a test light.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Warren

Quote from: MartyParsons on March 22, 2017, 08:14:56 AM
Hello,
  with a 12 volt test light.

Start at the battery negative to positive check connections

Check at fuse, there should be two fuses on the hydraulic post on a Super ( please dont put metal across the fuse area)

Check across the the two big posts on the solenoid in the fuse block. Ignition key must be on.

Check the Brass contact that moves on the saw head.

With the saw head on the front 6' of the frame, check the contact strip brass should be shiny not green

Remove the hydraulic box cover. On a super there are two solenoids ( same part as in the box) You should have power to one big post on each solenoid.

If you have 12 volt to one of the big terminals on both solenoids then you need to check the micro switch that closes the solenoid connection. You can check this with your volt ohm meter or a test light.

Hope this helps.

Marty
Sir,

I appreciate the pointers.  Been busy.  Just found my multi meter yesterday.   Hydraulics function just fine when I hook a battery charger to the copper strip (+) and to the frame (-).  Copper strip and brass shoe/foot have been polished.  I will work my way thru the fuses and solenoid that you mentioned above.

Thank you!   Warren

Chuck White

Sounds like the contact (which is spring loaded) needs to be adjusted so it will make positive contact with the copper strip!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!