iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just What I Needed Now!!

Started by Andy White, January 24, 2017, 02:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Do you ever want to pull the covers over your head and just stay in the bed? Well I do.  A tree cutter stopped at the house Friday and asked if we had any trees to cut. After talking to him and showing him what we had, and questioned him about insurance, we were told he has been insured and bonded and all that stuff was in place.  After agreeing on price, he said they would do it Saturday. Upon pulling into the yard, YEP!!! bogged down to the bumper on that huge bucket truck. No work today. Monday was a little better. Got the truck out, and trimmed the tree on the east end of the house. No problems. Next was the 24" Oak in back that has been leaning toward the house since we first built.  I wanted to cut it before we poured the slab, but Nancy wanted to keep it. In last weeks storm a big limb fell and hit the edge of the roof and fell on her sitting bench. A big mess. So now to remove it the right way. No climbing, use the bucket and remove the limbs a little at a time. Soon I hear the crash! It is down!  ...... ON THE HOUSE!!!!   Now comes the repair work and the price negotiations for fixing my house. I told him that I am very unhappy and get their people off my place! He has assured us that he will make everything right. SHOW ME!!!   I feel like someone hit me in the gut. I'm sick all over when I look at it.   Time will probably help, but I am really bitter right now. More later

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JJ

Rats!  >:(

Hard to see a good side of this, but at least the tree is down.

Tomorrow is another day.

Hope it get all fixed up, including the lawn.

JJ

Bruno of NH

That's a bummer
Does he have insurance ?
If so they should pay for the repairs
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Den Socling

I'm glad I'm not the contractor doing the repair but it should end up good as new.

21incher

That stinks.  Sorry to hear this. Some times it helps to get your insurance company involved to be sure everything is fixed properly when there is that much damage. I cannot believe they left it open like that.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

My oh my! Some days it is best to just stay in bed. But on the other hand you might have been wearing a tree if you had. Sorry to hear it!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

r.man

Were you in the house when it hit? Some days are like that.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Andy White

I was in the shop trying to finish my workbench project when I heard the crash!! Then the mad started to show! Nancy made me go away in the Mustang until I cooled off. I really gutted that new engine! It really goes.    If my adjustor don't show tomorrow, I'll be firing him too!!!       Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

florida

What a mess! I hope he really does have insurance. It's not a terrible repair, probably take a couple guys  a day to make new again.

In the future make sure you get a Certificate of Insurance with your name on it before allowing anyone to work on your property. It should come directly from the agent, not the business.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

WV Sawmiller

Andy,

Sorry for your current woes. Just glad it was only property and not somebody getting hurt. I am still not sure why the guy would have tried to cut the tree without trimming the limbs off first. I recently did a job for a guy who had had a guy cut a row of pines. Looked like the "arborist" hit the chain link fence with every limb. Had totally destroyed it. Not sure if this is a miscommunication between the man and his crew or what. Will be interesting to see how he does with the repairs. Anybody can make a mistake but what they do to correct it is the measure of the man IMO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Wow.  ::) Glad it wasn't a direct hit.  Even worse, they cut up all your saw logs!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

drobertson

That looks like one of those days! Man o man, you know they feel bad, don't make it any better though. It will get fixed, least you only heard it and not feel it! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Andy White

Today started dark and rainy looking. Just what I need with the roof gone. Soon the two guys show up and start setting up for work. I asked if they needed anything, and they said they had everything needed.  What a novel  idea!! All these contractors should try this!  These boys are good. Tore off and reframed hip and facias in no time. Next to rework the soffits and sheet stock cladding for facias. Done, and had their lunch that they had with them. No leaving for a two hour lunch. I like that!! Re decked and shingled and installed ridge and cleaned up and was ready to go. One of them called the tree man that hired them, and told him they were thru. Tree man asked me if I was satisfied, and I said very much so. A really trying time for Nancy and me, but "what don't kill us makes us stronger!" (old saying).   My rant is over and the BP is back to normal.       Andy

Hopefully the end!!

Roxie

Say when

Sixacresand

Sorry for your misfortune and unnecessary aggravation, Andy.  Glad you everything fixed.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

WV Sawmiller

Andy,

Good looking repairs. Glad to see them finished this quick.

The sad question is how and why did they have so much experience? Looks like they may have done this a few times. ???
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

All is well that ends well.  (Old saying).  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Would be interesting to know what when wrong? I'm assuming they planned to take it down in pieces with the bucket truck, but it got stuck? So then they tried dropping it, but misjudged the lean?

But mistakes happen. At least they put it right without messing you around.

Often I judge a person or company by how they react when things go wrong. Someone that claims they never make a mistake, has no idea what to do when they inevitably do.

Someone that realizes that accidents happen, and has a plan to deal with them (like a reliable contractor on speed-dial) is much better to deal with.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

Andy,
That repair job looks great.I'm a carpenter for life and always bring my lunch,never leave the job until the end of the day.Drives me nuts see guys run to town for lunch or materials that should have been on the job with better planning.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

OntarioAl

Andy
It looks like the contractor was a man of his word and sent a couple of Professionals to fix the damage.
If they showed up with all supplies he probably took pictures and gave them a sample of the shingles.
The Oops moment occurred during felling a picture of the stump would answer as to the type and direction of the notch and amount of and placement of the holding wood and use of wedges. Whether or not the stump as rotten.
Looking at the picture you supplied it looks like the tree completely left the stump and rolled towards your house.
Cheers
Al 
Al Raman

Sixacresand

I have a huge dead pine near a high voltage line.  The power company trimmed the limbs off the line side of the tree.  I will ask the power co to de-energize the line for a few minutes while I get it down. Better safe than for family to be sorry. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!