iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back to work on the frame... finally!

Started by danreed76, January 23, 2017, 10:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

After a long and adventurous (somewhat dramatic, but not overly entertaining) year or so, I'm finally back to work on our timber frame!  The foundation is already in (y'all may remember that thread), and we're as educated as Jim could get us in a week's time (another thread from days gone by) and finally putting the excellent information Jim gave us to use.

Anyhow, it's time to dust off the drawings and get back on track, so here we go!

Posts were the first thing to come off the pile

Cutting some mortises for floor joist tusk-tenons:

Starting to stack finished timbers outside (and beginning to organize them):

I'll post some more pictures as we continue.  Hopefully (but not likely) getting more and more interesting as we go.  right now we're pulling unfinished timbers off the pile and working on them in the order they come off.  As things get more organized we'll (try to) focus more and more on specific bents, walls, components, etc.

Anyhow, after a year of watching the rest of y'all make progress, it's good to be back in the game!

-Dan

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

jimdad07

Very nice work, good luck with your project!
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

fishfighter

Looks like Jim did well and teaching you. Will be waiting on updates. ;D

newoodguy78

Looking good I'm sure the progress feels good too. Looks like you got the right tools to keep progress rolling. What kind of wood are you using?

danreed76

Quote from: jimdad07 on January 29, 2017, 12:36:32 PM
Very nice work, good luck with your project!

Thank you, Sir.  Been enjoying following along with your progress as well.

Quote from: fishfighter on January 30, 2017, 05:04:28 AM
Looks like Jim did well and teaching you. Will be waiting on updates. ;D
We enjoyed Jim's teaching very much and did learn a LOT.

Quote from: newoodguy78 on January 31, 2017, 09:24:43 PM
Looking good I'm sure the progress feels good too. Looks like you got the right tools to keep progress rolling. What kind of wood are you using?

Thanks, I've been collecting tools as I can find them (bought a few new chisels but everything else has been second or third hand).  We're using Southern Yellow Pine.  Some of the pieces have some blue stain from beetles, and some are weathered a bit.
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Thank You Sponsors!