iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Offshore fishing

Started by Briankinley2004, January 22, 2017, 11:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briankinley2004

Any offshore fishermen here. I quit fishing freshwater about 10 years ago when I got addicted to this sport. I have blown enough money to buy all of woodmizers equipment and then some but what a rush. Im afraid my family may do an intervention if I don't get help soon.

Magicman

Nice Dolphin fish, but I think restaurants now call it Mahi-Mahi or something like that so folks won't think that it is a Porpoise.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Briankinley2004

Yea we call them mahi but little ones chicken dolphin. They are also called dorado. LA state red snapper season opens Feb 1 so I hope to go down that weekend, weather permitting. I haven't been offshore fishing since before Thanksgiving

LeeB

I used to fish quite a bit when I was still working in the G.O.M. but haven't wet a hook in years. I never really fished with my pole much. Only used it to catch bait and then switched to a hand line of 1/4" poly. I liked going for the big ones. At one point I had so much fish I had a fish fry for the hospital where Lindy was working at the time. Fed over 200 and still have fish left over and more at home. They voted me employee of the month and I didn't even work there.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Briankinley2004

Funny you mention that. I have seen rig workers fishing with heavy hook and line a lot. Never saw them catch anything until one day we were nearing a rig and you could see a large, maybe 8' long object flopping around on the end or their crane. Got a little closer and they had a large shark winching up. Those things are a nuisance around platforms and pester us some when we spearfish.

gspren

Is that your boat or do you charter? I have been trying to do a bit more salt water fishing the past few years but inshore or bay. I also want to get into surf-fishing this year, lots to learn.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

LaneC

That was my passion too. if you think you have an addiction now, fishing with a rod and reel, then do not Spearfish or you will surely have a problem. Spearfishing is a truly great (and expensive) sport. I used to be in the Frogmen spearfishing club. We did real well at the tournaments with the Helldivers, Aqua Aces etc.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Briankinley2004

GS that is a friend of mines hatteras. I own a 30' cat with twins. He cruises at 10 knots but has direct tv, 3 baths and 3 bedrooms. I cruise at 30 knots and pee off the bow. We usually overnight on his and make those quick day trips on mine although I can do overnights.

Lane. Too late. I took my first hit of the spear fishing drug about 8 years ago and have been an addict since. Recovery isn't an option. I have dove with some of the hell divers but don't do the rodeos. I claim to have quit shooting the big ones since the AARP is sending me junk mail but I still love to go. Just not as hard core as I used to be

Here are some of our spearing trips

My wife with an a j she shot. Lucky for her she stoned him

LeeB

Nice amber jack. Great eating. That is the type of fish I would go after with my hand line. Biggest shark I ever caught was an 11'6" bull shark. If I actually wanted to catch sharks I would rig up a steel leader with two pieces of medal above it that would clank when jigged and the bait a foot or so below that. Worked amazingly well. Figured that out by accident. I would use just about any old scrap for sinkers rather than buy them. A short piece of chain and a small steel ring gasket worked best.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LaneC

Nice fish. I am glad she stoned that one too, she may have gone for a ride :D. Do yall use riding rigs so you can let them go in a hurry?

petefrom bearswamp

Looks like you have waaay to much fun.
I dont do this kind of fishing so dont know the terminology.
What is stoned?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LaneC

"Stoned" means that the fish dies as soon as you shoot it. With these big fish like this, if you do not stone it and instantly dispatch it, they will fight like crazy and sometimes with all of the debris, ropes, pipes etc. underwater it can become pretty dangerous. You try to hit the vertebrae to instantly take the fight out of them. (It is also better by not attracting as many sharks if they are stoned and you get them up pretty quick).

doctorb

Do NOT take this the wrong way....but why spear a tarpon?  They are a prized gamefish and are unbelievable to catch on a rod and reel.  I can see you spearing it for a trophy mount, I guess.  But, as far as I know, tarpon are released to fight again because their fight is a lot more impressive than their meat.  I have never eaten tarpon and I've never seen it on a menu.  Again, I have no problem with your obsession.  Looks like a blast.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

DelawhereJoe

600 yds off the beach.

NOTE FROM ADMIN. THE DOCUMENT LOADER IS USED ONLY FOR DOCUMENTS. IT IS NOT ALLOWED TO USE FOR PHOTOS AS IS USES TEN TIMES THE SERVER SPACE FOR ONE IMAGE

[attachment deleted by admin]
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

....not quite what I wanted....but it worked.....hopefully.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Briankinley2004

Quote from: LaneC on January 24, 2017, 11:28:30 AM
  Nice fish. I am glad she stoned that one too, she may have gone for a ride :D. Do yall use riding rigs so you can let them go in a hurry?

Negative on the riding rig. I'm always prepared to let my gun go. I use the JBL so I'm not out as much as a riffe. When I shoot an aj I always make sure I have a pipe close to grab. I keep cable cutters in my b c and have the hog tail swivel on my gun too.

Briankinley2004

Quote from: doctorb on January 24, 2017, 06:25:37 PM
Do NOT take this the wrong way....but why spear a tarpon?  They are a prized gamefish and are unbelievable to catch on a rod and reel.  I can see you spearing it for a trophy mount, I guess.  But, as far as I know, tarpon are released to fight again because their fight is a lot more impressive than their meat.  I have never eaten tarpon and I've never seen it on a menu.  Again, I have no problem with your obsession.  Looks like a blast.

That was my first and last tarpon to shoot. They are considered trash fish around here as we don't have a big tarpon fishery. In Louisiana if we can't figure out a way to eat it it has to be bad 😂😂. That one didn't go to waste   We used it for crab bait and the Asians down here eat the heads

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks for the enlightenment on the meaning of stoned regarding spear fishing
I was worried there for a minute
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on January 24, 2017, 08:04:43 PM
Quote from: LaneC on January 24, 2017, 11:28:30 AM

Negative on the riding rig. I'm always prepared to let my gun go. I use the JBL so I'm not out as much as a riffe. When I shoot an aj I always make sure I have a pipe close to grab. I keep cable cutters in my b c and have the hog tail swivel on my gun too.

I like Sea Hornets for free shaft and have a JBL for line spearing.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Briankinley2004

We can't free shaft around the rigs. Usually in water 150' -400' deep. Even when it's shallow there is usually a murk layer over the bottom making it impossible to see.

Magicman

My present customer owns a tuna fishing service out of Venice, LA.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I'd have to run out 100 miles to get anywhere near that depth.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

LaneC

Yes Pete, a stoned fish is a good fish :D. Venice is a great place to leave out of for offshore trips. Fourchoun (foo-shon) is another popular spot we always went out of.

LeeB

Just beware of Golden Meadows and Port Sulphur, respectively.  smiley_policeman smiley_furious3

tule peak timber

Me in Baja a few years back. The gun is a Riffe, serial number 001. Fish are wahoo, pez fuertes, and groupers. All free-dive fish from offshore pinnacles in blue water. Now just pics on the shop wall....Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Raider Bill

Funny how different areas are. I've never seen a Riffe gun around these parts. Do you have Sea Hornets?

Ianab

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 26, 2017, 07:39:05 AM
I'd have to run out 100 miles to get anywhere near that depth.

That's another cool thing about the Pacific Islands. Deep water as soon as you leave the harbor. We did a game fishing charter in Rarotonga a few years back and where trolling for Wahoo in about 1,000 ft of water. Glanced at my phone, and I had wifi signal from our holiday house on the beach  :D

Couple of miles further out and it was more like 10,000 ft.

We did actually catch a fish (it was a slow day) about 500 yards off the end of the airport runway

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Magicman on January 26, 2017, 07:09:59 AM
My present customer owns a tuna fishing service out of Venice, LA.

Whats his company name? I know a couple guys over there. We go out of Port Fourchon near Grand Isle. I keep my camper down there all year and yes set cruise on 50 going through the meadow. Those wahoo are nice. I have caught a few but never shot one. They are some fine eating. We hit the Mississippi Canyon about 25 miles out. The middle of it is probably 3,000 feet

Magicman

Lee McLean.  Here is his fishing service: http://venicesportfishing.com/

I just sawed wall paneling for a new lodge that he is building.

Many years ago I fished with Charlie Hardison's (sp) outfit out of Port Fourchon.

Briankinley2004

Don't know him but have heard the name. Charlie Hardison died. He was actually from Monroe, my area. His son in law took the boat over but got busted by Feds   The fines and economic situations forced him to give the boat to the bank. I rent my r v spot from the current owner and the boat sits across the street from my camper. It's still named capt charlie. Renovations on it are almost complete including new engines. They are located north of the old place

Magicman

The last time that I fished there we were on the Sailfish, which was in Charlie's fleet.  At least we booked through Charlie's service.

Briankinley2004

That's been a while, just fishing with  Charlie has been a while. He's been dead along time

Magicman

Yup, 12 years or more.  Ouch!

Thank You Sponsors!