iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Win 10/Edge Question

Started by Magicman, January 22, 2017, 10:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Anybody using it?

It's stingy with memory and this laptop likes it, but I have a question regarding my favorites setup.  Anybody?

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Are you using the tiles where you can pin a Tile to the start up or opening the Edge tab?
I use the tiles instead of the Edge homepage.

This probably isn't your question but You can save a favorite website by clicking on the 5 point star top right while on that website.

Magicman

I imported my favorites from Firefox, and when I click the star they are listed along the right margin.  I can pin them there but that sorta rearranges everything to make room.  I would like to have them across the top.  (I am presently using the ATT Yahoo home page.)

I may not be following you regarding the tiles?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Here is what Windows 10 tiles look like.  Each one is a Bookmark. (favorite)

Magicman

OK, I may add them there and see how it works.  It's just not as convenient as having them across the top of the home page like I was used to with Firefox.

Brian_Rhoad

When you save a favorite you need to save it to the "Favorites Bar". Then it will show up at the top of the page. You can also drag items from the Favorites Folder to the Favorites Bar Folder. They will then show up on the Favorites Bar.

clearcut

Magicman, is this what you are looking for:

Open Edge. Click on the ... 3-dot menu at the upper right Settings / Favorites / Show the Favorites Bar.

You can import your Favorites / Bookmarks from another browser that is installed on your machine.

If you want to import bookmarks from an HTML file, you can do so by first importing them into a compatible installed browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox). Then, open up Edge and import the newly imported bookmarks directly from that browser.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Magicman

CC, I have imported my favorites to the Favorites Bar, no problem there.

Brian, The Favorites Bar is along the right margin, not the top.

If I leave the Favorites Bar dragging a favorite a circle with a line appears telling me "no".  I can not drop the favorite anywhere but back on the Favorites Bar.  I have been all over the page with them, even down to the task bar below.

So far Google has not given me an answer either.

clearcut

MM,

The Favorites BAR displays across the top of my window in edge. Favorites not in the Favorites Bar, display in the right hand panel. The Show Favorites Bar setting must be turned on. It is off by default.

Magicman

That is exactly what I am looking for.  I clocked More, Settings, Favorites, and turned on my Favorites Bar, but it's not on top.

clearcut

Are the Favorites that you want displayed, IN the Favorite Bar FOLDER? In the image note there are 2 groups - Favorites in the Favorites bar folder that appear on the top line, and Favorites that appear only in the HUB (Imported from Internet Explorer) and not in the Favorites bar. The HUB is the 3 line menu item in the upper right.

Couple of suggestions, restart - always an option when things are not working correctly.

Toggle the favorites bar off then on again.

Re-bookmark your sites, clicking on the Favorites Star / Save In / Favorites / Favorites Bar.

Magicman

OK, I think that you gave the magic word "folder".  I'll work on it when I get some faster internet.  Thanks.

Magicman

Thank You clearcut.  You nailed my problem and now I do not have a problem. 

The Favorites were in the HUB, but not in the FOLDER.  I moved them up to the Folder and now they all appear across the top.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

clearcut

You're most welcome. I dislike  when my device doesn't work the way that I want it to. Windows, especially 10, can be such a mystery.

Magicman

I was content with Firefox, but Edge runs so much faster on this low memory laptop.  Task Manager was always at the top with Firefox, but runs about 25% with Edge.

There are some keystroke kirks the my fingers are not used to.