iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roof Truss Design

Started by bigD, January 22, 2017, 10:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigD

Here is a drawing of the Dock ( I call it a "Davilion" Dock/Pavilion) my brother and I started building yesterday.  We are wanting to extend the left side to cover a boat (at least 7 feet or so). I am wanting to put beams on the post and some thick trusses on 4' centers. I can only cut 16' on my mill so I need to plate trusses.  If I use a 3/12 pitch I can make a 31 foot truss that will extend 7' I think.  Problem is I can't find a truss design program that will give me all the angles and dimensions I need.  Anyone have any ideas.
I should also mention we want it open with no post in the middle.

Here is the start. The post will be cut off after they set good.

danreed76

I believe several university Ag Extension Services have published truss designs for clear span buildings, but you'd still likely want a PE to give it a look over, as their loads and spacing are likely based on agricultural outbuilding design (much lower design values).  Truss design is very detailed as there's a lot more to consider than simple loads, and you want to build/assemble the trusses exactly per the design guidelines.

7' of overhang adds an additional level of complexity, as the forces have to be either supported from the end of the truss or cantilevered back to the main structure.  I think in residential construction we're allowed 3' of overhang without any outside support.  Anything further requires an engineered solution.

Just some thoughts, as we all want Sid to be safe hanging out at the dock! Look forward to seeing the finished project!

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

bigD

Thank you Dan, I am rethinking and think additional post will be needed. 

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!