iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First charge loaded in the portable solar kiln.

Started by Delawhere Jack, January 21, 2017, 05:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

The portable kiln is finally getting a trial run. I offered complimentary use of the kiln to a client I've milled for several times. I figured a test run was in order to see if I'd overlooked anything major. We loaded 620 bf of 5/4 walnut that has been air drying for about two years. The stack had not been covered, so the MC was a bit higher than I expected. MC varied from 19% on some of the lower boards on the outside of the stack to 30% in the top boards. If it was my material, I certainly would have shelled out $50 for some corrugated tin to cover several thousand dollars worth of walnut.... but what do I know?  ::)

The only problem we encounter was that I had cut the tarp too short. It was 12' x 16', but I cut it to 8' x 16'. I had planned to use the 4' cutoff piece to lay lengthwise over the stack to create a better guide around the wood, and then drape the rest from the plenum to close it off. Turns out the 8' dimension was too short to reach the floor. The client chipped in $40 for me to buy a new tarp.

BTW, the client recently built a woodworking shop at the back of his property that would make anyone here on the FF drool! Among other gems, he's got an old 24" American joiner that he's restored to like new!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

With air dried, the spacing from the edge of the pile to the back and front walls is not critical, but for green, you need at least 12".
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Delawhere Jack

tmbrcruiser

From the southern end of the State congratulations on the build and first run.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on January 22, 2017, 09:25:29 AM
From the southern end of the State congratulations on the build and first run.

Thanks Cruiser. I need to swing by some time and check out you operation. Looks real good from the photos.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

Day 12. Average MC for the three samples is now 24%, down from 30.3% on day one. It's been mostly cool and overcast the whole time with a few good hours of mid-day sun here and there. Temp and humidity inside the kiln is pretty good considering the weather. Today -- 45deg and 40%hum outside, 70deg and 51%hum inside.

Since the wood is below FSP I've closed the vents from 1/4 down to 1/8 open. Hoping to build more heat.

At what point do you other guys close the vents completely?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

With vents closed fairly far, you will keep the hot air in the kiln so it will get hotter.  At the same time, however, the humidity will increase as the wood dried. This high humidity slows drying more than the heat increases the speed- - roughly above 12% MC, but it depends on thickness and species.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

I never close the vents completly, the moist air must be vented from the kiln.  However, I like to close them as much as possible to reach max temps.  It's kind of hard to describe, but if I open the doors in the heat of the day, and the kiln air is hot and moist, them I open the vents some more.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Delawhere Jack

Unloaded the kiln today. Average mc just below 10%. Yellow Hammer, I understand what you meant now. After the first week or so I closed the vents to were you could just stick a pencil in the gap. Enough to allow air to exchange, but tight enough to build heat. It took 7 weeks to go from about 30% to 10%. No drying defects found. There were some existing checks that opened some more, but the client was aware that would happen. He will Anchorseal any would we mill in the future.

We had to trim one of the smaller boards down just a bit to fit through his 12" planer since his 18" planer was not hooked up. ;D

YellowHammer

That's some nice looking wood and a great run.  You should be proud of yourself.  Congratulations.  8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Glenn1

I agree with Yellowhammer.  To have minimal defects is quite an achievement on your first run!  Way to go.    8)
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Delawhere Jack

I couldn't have done it without all the guidance you guys have offered here on the FF. Thank you.

WDH

Now you are up and running.  If you pre-air dry your wood, drying is pretty simple.  I try to only put air dried wood below 20% moisture content in my kiln, that way, I can run it wide open and maximize the amount of wood in the kiln while minimizing the drying time.  Your walnut looks great.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2017, 07:47:08 AM
Now you are and and running.  If you pre-air dry your wood, drying is pretty simple.  I try to only put air dried wood below 20% moisture content in my kiln, that way, I can run it wide open and maximize the amount of wood in the kiln while minimizing the drying time.  Your walnut looks great.

Thanks Danny. I thought that this wood would be in the 15-20% range already. It's been about 2 years since we milled it. I didn't know that the client had left his stacks uncovered.

I wish it was my walnut....

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!