iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 28000 transmission gurus

Started by Spartan, January 20, 2017, 11:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

So I've been trying to sort out problems in my transmission on my Skidder and have posted on it before.   I just recently installed a new charge pump and it has helped a lot.   Way better drive power.   The other day it was really hooking up almost no converter slip so I messed around with it to figure out why it would all of a sudden start doing so well.   If I shut it off it returned to average performance. But I found out if I put it in third gear and then shift down it would perform much better in the lower gears.      Why would that be?   What would cause that?       

furltech

Let me preface this by saying i have never even laid eyes on the transmission you are talking about but is it possible that the linkage is wore and when you put it in third and then back it is lining it up in gear right. if that makes any sense.if not just a stab in the dark on my part

Spartan

Never even thought of that
Worth a shot,  I'll check it out,
Thanks

Gearbox

When you put in the charge pump were there any flex hoses in the suction line . I have seen those leak air .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Spartan

No, but I have wondered if my suction hard line may have a leak.  I do have some bubbles in my fluid.
the charge pump is mounted directly to the converter housing.  all gaskets and o-rings were replaced.

xalexjx

Logging and Processed Firewood

Spartan

Gearbox

I had a air leak in the suction line on a 850 Case . The converter temp. ran hot on a hard push . When cold it took a long time befor it would move . Hard to diagnose because it won't leak oil .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Spartan

yeah that's one of my worries.
I had the engine separated this fall from it, but did not want to tear into the tranny (had to get running right away) to try to locate if it was doing that.  would hate to pull it apart again.

aussie380

how do you tell if the suction line is leaking. I have a 380 that sounds to have the same problems used to go good but seems to have gotten slower, only things we had done was change oil and filter.

Spartan

I know one indicator and that would be air in the fluid.
As I have not pinpointed my problem, I can't tell you for sure.
I am going to try one last thing here tomorrow.  Wondering if my fluid level is wrong somehow.

sometimes it disappears totally from the stick as if the oil is stuck in the top end of the transmission, others is its a bit higher than the high mark.  Same procedure each time for pulling the dipstick. Drives me crazy.

I am going to go by the manual now that I have read it and fill til low with the engine running, cold.  Than check at hot.
I had previously just measured the hot high mark.  Seems really full to me, but who knows, maybe my dipstick marks are wrong.  I put another gallon in when it was at high, runs much better.
The last couple times I have changed the oil in it, it only took about 7 gallons to refill.  The capacity in the TJ manual says over 12.
I don't think the converter and filter hold 5 gallons.
Right wrong or indifferent, I'm wondering if i have been low this whole time.  Boy would that be embarrassing.

Spartan

What year is your 380?
Does it have the same tranny?  Cummins or Detroit?

aussie380

I think it is and early model and i think that it is the 28000. how can i make sure of year and tranny model? it has the 453 Detroit. would more hp help drive as it has a 2 valve motor with n45 injectors. the dealer we bought it off got it with a dead motor, later let it slip that it used to over heat when we were having overheating problems that was the tranny oil cooler

Spartan

You sure thats a 2 valve motor?  I would think it would be a 4 valve unless they replaced it with an older motor than the machine.
Theres a tag on the tranny with info.  If the model # starts in the 28 thousands it would be the same tranny.
If you have the serial # and model of the machine you can look up in your parts manual what it has for sure too.

aussie380

yeah we had the head off when we had cam problems, think the motor came out of and old Michigan loader they never even changed it to suit machine. I don't have a manual though I have been trying to find one for years.

Spartan

John Deere online should have one.  Thats where I got mine.

aussie380

Spartan

Did you find a manual?

I think the fluid level fixed some major issues for me but I got to only drive it for half a day before I blew a planetary.   Lame.

I may still have a suction leak and the additional fluid may have covered it a bit.

I added another gallon and a half to where it was about halfway between h and L running cold.   It sucks all the fluid up at startup but then recovers after a minute or two.   One thing it does is foams at first but then clears up.   Standing cold and off,  there is a lot of fluid in the case.   Well above H.   I wonder if my converter drains back over time.   Not sure if it is supposed to do that.   Anyway,  that's an update.

aussie380

i haven't got back near it yet to get serial number off it. just checking the serial number is stamped on the front left hand side of where it articulates, in two rows with the first having 6 numbers then the bottom having 4. that's bad news good luck getting it going soon

Spartan

What year is yours?
My serial is on a plate behind your left foot while sitting.  Not sure about where else it would be, someone else might chime in.
If its an earlier model my guess is the serial will start with 380 for yours.

Gearbox

I know how I found my charge line air leak . I would not recommend it . I had a light car bridge to cross a creek . Well I ran it in the creek and got stuck with the back end down left it idle . Had to walk to get the backhoe . checked the oil over full and milky .

Spartan

Yeah, I don't think I want to test it that way.

Are you saying you got water in it?

It will pull logs still, and after it warms up the fluid clears out and it runs strong.
Ill probably just wait until I have the motor out of it again, then I can tear into the converter and check the suction tube.

Gearbox

Yes there is suction to get the oil to the charge pump . You might PM Bush Mechanic and see if he knows how to check an air leak .

Spartan

On mine I know its all an internal hardline from the case bottom through converter housing then into pump.  You must have had a different set up than me.

One suggestion that was given to me was to take the suction screen off, plug the suction line and use vacuum from the top and see if it bleeds off.  Might try that eventually.

aussie380

i think it is an early 80s, there is an aluminium plate where you say but it is unreadable but these numbers that are stamped in the frame do start with 380*** then in the next line 2525 if I remember right. I used the * because I couldn't remember them the stamped numbers are if your read that plate from the ground are just to your left in where it pivots basically right behind the hand brake lever

Thank You Sponsors!