The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Maple syrup 2017  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
Re: Maple syrup 2017
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2017, 06:33:01 pm »
We got half of our spouts pulled and the lines flushed today.

The other half is planned for Wednesday!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline CJennings

• Full Member x2
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2017, 02:49:59 pm »
My sap was mostly running off color and off tasting yesterday so I think it's safe to say it's over this year. I think I made 5 gallons or so. From 15 taps. Hard to say because I boiled the last few batches into sugar and made a lot of candy too. I'm hoping to get a sugar shack up this summer and a proper evaporator set up. If I do I'll get tubing set up next year. I think I may be able to hit 100 taps on my place. I never did finish the maple inventory.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2017, 09:04:38 am »
I finished 5 days ago. I pulled in 840 gal total that day from 2 locations, early that day. One was 550 gal at 1.1% and the rest was at 1.2%. Then it got way too hot, as it got to 81 degrees. I boiled that down and it was very dark syrup.
I ended up with just 174 gal from 750 taps because the sugar % in the sap was at my lowest ever, had it been at my previous 3 season average I'd have gotten .4 gal/tap in syrup. As it was I only got .232 gal/tap.
Now I'm planning for next year. Will change more laterals to 3/16 tied to my vacuum set up, and add 50-75 more taps, possibly even 100. I am also putting my bigger vacuum pump on my vacuum tank and setting it up with a releaser rather than using the tank as a vacuum tank, then I'll be able to add 5-7" more vacuum on the mains and all of the 3/16 will be at max. possible vacuum once they are just 4-6' above the mainline elevation. In 3 areas I'm also going to add a sap ladder or 2 to get better slope on those mains. I got my 7 current sap ladders to perform very well this year, keeping my vacuum loss under 2" from the pump out to the far end of each main, some of which are up to 2000' away from the pump. The longest one at about 2000' long and with 2 sap ladders held at 2" vacuum loss, I thought that was good.
logging small time for years but just learning how, with a Forest stewardship plan, 2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, sugar maple/maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time