TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Maple syrup 2017  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
Re: Maple syrup 2017
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:23 am »
Sap ran a little yesterday afternoon, and we expect to have enough to gather this afternoon, then boil after gathering again tomorrow!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline cbla

« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2017, 06:20:07 am »
Managed to do a boil on the 16th. things have been hit or miss here with the weather. We got around 6 inches of snow last night but the long range forecast looks promising.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:59 am »
Gathered yesterday morning, boiled, shut down and then they really started running so we gathered again, around 7:00PM.

Otherwise, we would have barrels running over NOW!

Still 36 here, so we'll be gathering again in a couple of hours!

We are at 150 gallons of syrup as of last night, last year we had 185 gallons!

We figure that we'll go over 200 this year, we'll see!
~Chuck~
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline millwright

« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2017, 07:57:09 am »
Having a tough time here. We get a good day then it gets cold and everything freezes up. Boiling a few hundred gallons of sap today.

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2017, 08:35:14 am »
This is our second year of making syrup. We made a little over 3.5 gallons on Saturday (our second boil of the year).

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2017, 11:01:27 am »
When I started this thread, I hinted at some big news, a new lease for us.

Might have some big news to share in the near future- we could be getting a new woods to lease  ;)

Well it's official. The boss signed the papers earlier this week. We will be leasing a chunk of land that is part of a 5700 acre property in Eden VT. Currently the landowner is only opening up a certain portion of the property for the maple lease. We will be constructing a new sugarhouse on site, strictly a production facility. Everything we can get to run to this sugarhouse we can tap.

We are expecting to get about 120,000 taps here. No, there isn't an extra zero there.

Eventually if the company that owns the land decides they like how the sugaring lease is going, they will open up the rest of the property, and a second sugarhouse would likely be built, to boil another 100-120,000 taps.

We started some of the layout today, marking out where the two main conductors will go to the sugarhouse. Two sets of big pipes. 4" air line, 3" liquid line, hung on 3\8" cable, fusion welded pipe. We marked out the first .9 miles to where they will branch off. One will end up nearly 2.5 miles from the sugarhouse.

The plan right now is to start in force as soon as we pull spouts from this season. We will be doing the construction of the sugarhouse, 75'x120', as well as installing the first 50,000+ taps. The year after we will install the remainder, likely with two pump up stations gathering 25,000 taps. It will be all 3\16'' tubing under high vacuum. I don't know the exact vacuum pumps that we will be using but one we spec'd out was 25hp, 6 feet long and weighed 1200lbs. We would need two.

I'm excited to be taking part in this project, I can't wait to see it running full steam. I have been on large acre properties before cruising timber, but to install mainlines and tubing over such an area, it gives me quite an appreciation for the immensity and scale of what we are doing. When it is all said and done, we will have installed over 1 million feet ( 190 miles) of mainline. We will have nearly 2.5 million feet of tubing (470 miles) in the woods.

It's gonna be a busy year!
Chris Elliott

Follow our progress on the Northern Forest Canoe trail summer 2014 here-
 http://chris-and-meghannfct2014.blogspot.com/

Offline Joe Hillmann

• I'm new!
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2017, 12:06:38 pm »
Wow,
How many taps did you guys have before this?

When I started this thread, I hinted at some big news, a new lease for us.

Might have some big news to share in the near future- we could be getting a new woods to lease  ;)

Well it's official. The boss signed the papers earlier this week. We will be leasing a chunk of land that is part of a 5700 acre property in Eden VT. Currently the landowner is only opening up a certain portion of the property for the maple lease. We will be constructing a new sugarhouse on site, strictly a production facility. Everything we can get to run to this sugarhouse we can tap.

We are expecting to get about 120,000 taps here. No, there isn't an extra zero there.

Eventually if the company that owns the land decides they like how the sugaring lease is going, they will open up the rest of the property, and a second sugarhouse would likely be built, to boil another 100-120,000 taps.

We started some of the layout today, marking out where the two main conductors will go to the sugarhouse. Two sets of big pipes. 4" air line, 3" liquid line, hung on 3\8" cable, fusion welded pipe. We marked out the first .9 miles to where they will branch off. One will end up nearly 2.5 miles from the sugarhouse.

The plan right now is to start in force as soon as we pull spouts from this season. We will be doing the construction of the sugarhouse, 75'x120', as well as installing the first 50,000+ taps. The year after we will install the remainder, likely with two pump up stations gathering 25,000 taps. It will be all 3\16'' tubing under high vacuum. I don't know the exact vacuum pumps that we will be using but one we spec'd out was 25hp, 6 feet long and weighed 1200lbs. We would need two.

I'm excited to be taking part in this project, I can't wait to see it running full steam. I have been on large acre properties before cruising timber, but to install mainlines and tubing over such an area, it gives me quite an appreciation for the immensity and scale of what we are doing. When it is all said and done, we will have installed over 1 million feet ( 190 miles) of mainline. We will have nearly 2.5 million feet of tubing (470 miles) in the woods.

It's gonna be a busy year!

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2017, 01:14:58 pm »
Joe, we are boiling from 42,000 this year. And that is with only 2000 running to the sugarhouse, all the rest is scattered between 5 other sugarbushes, all in different towns and directions. We have to truck all of it in. One woods is hauled from with a 1700 gallon tank on a dump trailer with a farm tractor because it is nearby and the road gets very bad. We have an older kenworth triaxle with a 5000 gallon tank and a newer international triaxle with a 5500 gallon tank. The boss figures our cost of trucking sap at about $1.50 per tap. Take that totally out of the equation for this woods.

One reason we are all so excited about this is because everything will be right there in one spot. No running around, splitting the crew 3-4 ways, everyone is an hour away in different directions. No more worrying about muddy roads sap hauling. Not worrying about whether the vacuum is on and sap running in one woods, and not the other, or how full tanks are, the list goes on and on and on.

It is going to be an incredible convenience having everything in one spot, even though the tubing system will be vast.
Chris Elliott

Follow our progress on the Northern Forest Canoe trail summer 2014 here-
 http://chris-and-meghannfct2014.blogspot.com/

Offline Joe Hillmann

• I'm new!
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2017, 10:38:26 am »
Last night we were boiling and decided to make some wine.  We pulled 5 gallons of 25% sap and let it cool before pitching in some yeast and putting it in a carboy with an air lock.

I have made quite a few 1 gallon batches in the past it comes out tasting kind of like brandy.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2017, 11:30:09 am »
That sounds good Joe!    8)
~Chuck~
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Ricker

« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2017, 08:35:24 pm »
The day certainly won't be measured gallons but a quality day. I'm no expert at making syrup, make a 3 or 4 gallons a year on an old wood stove converted to a small evaporator.  I got a call a little after noon time from a guy I know about helping his 12 year old son make a batch.  I said sure and grabbed my thermometer and went over.

I know the boy some, he tries to buy boards for whatever he is up to and I point him to the mistake pile and tell him to take what he needs, well he built a deer blind/ sugar shack with a bunch of the stuff he dragged home last fall.  He bought his own buckets and taps with birthday money, tapped & collected sap himself and took dads turkey cooker out to the shack.  He has a book on syruping and he put the questions to me all afternoon while we boiled, that's after he told his father I was there to help him and he could go back to he house anytime he was ready.  We got a quart and a half of syrup and the boy offered me half, told him no I have enough for us already. 

I was glad to get to know him a little better.  I got two boys in college and didn't realize I missed those pre teen days. Was a good day.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2017, 07:01:48 am »
Good on ya, Ricker!   8)
~Chuck~
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline brewdog

• I'm new!
« Reply #152 on: Yesterday at 05:37:16 pm »
Has bin running for six week and not that good,this week don't look good /little snow and rain /GOTA COME PRETTY SOON?