Maple syrup 2017

Started by celliott, January 20, 2017, 06:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

I figured we could start a new thread to talk about anything related to maple syrup and sap production for the 2017 season.

We started tapping this week, earliest we have ever started. Added 7200 new for us this year, been busy with installations all year long.

Might have some big news to share in the near future- we could be getting a new woods to lease  ;)

Got a new machine to test out too- a can am 6x6, with a track kit on it. See how it goes in the snow. The woods we are tapping now is a long ways from the tank to the first trees.

How's everybody coming along? Anyone tapping yet? Got a run of sap yet?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

thecfarm

I want to see a picture of that can am 6x6, with a track kit on it.  :D
Really small scale on my end. No sugar shack this year,I had a thread on it last year and the stove part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Joe Hillmann

We were just talking about getting ready for maple syrup season yesterday.  Our ice fishing shack is also our syrup shack.  When we were fishing yesterday we were talking about how we only have a month or so of comfortable fishing left before we will need to move the shack and set it up for syrup.

Chuck White

We added about 400 new taps this past Summer, so now we're up to right around 1,600 taps.

We made 185 gallons with 1,200 taps last season, so we should do pretty good this year!

We cleared everything but Maples out of a 4-5 acre woods for tapping next year (2018).

We set the pans on the evaporator this morning, so it's all set now!

Should be tapping in 3-4 weeks!

Good luck everyone!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

celliott

Quote from: thecfarm on January 20, 2017, 06:57:18 AM
I want to see a picture of that can am 6x6, with a track kit on it.  :D
Really small scale on my end. No sugar shack this year,I had a thread on it last year and the stove part.

It is a beast! We didn't test it out yet, the tracks just got installed today, but holy cow it's huge with the tracks, way bigger than I was expecting. It's wider, longer and has way more ground clearance than the polaris big boss 6x6's we have been using. We didn't have tracks for those though, just tire chains.

Got about 6000 tapped so far. Gotta repair some big pipes tomorrow, a tree hit a bulls-eye right on some T's on our conductor pipes. Busted them both, air and liquid line separated both directions....
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Corley5

Pulling the first line.  That's Jordan Hunt of Michigan Maple Systems our regional Leader Maple Equipment dealer.  We got a few runs pulled in yesterday.  Lots more to do before season.  We've got about 1,500 potential taps.  We're concentrating on this lot first which has 600-700.  If there's time we'll work on the other lot.  Still have work in the sugar shack to do.  The evaporator, R.O. and vacuum pump will be here the middle of next month.  Lots to do.  Spring isn't far away.

The pump house where the vacuum releaser and pump will be.  It's 900 feet from here to the sugar shack across the hayfield.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bucknwfl

I want to try some of this fresh maple syrup
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

celliott

Quote from: bucknwfl on January 21, 2017, 01:55:02 AM
I want to try some of this fresh maple syrup

There should be plenty of it very soon. Alot of people still have syrup to sell from last year as well.
We made a little over 17,000 gallons last season. Hope to get there or top it this year too!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

thecfarm

This guy might have some.
maple flats syrup

I am still using mine from last season. I doubt I could tell the diffance in taste of what I had bottled up last year and this year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

celliott

Syrup certainly doesn't go bad if it's stored and packaged properly. The only way to get truly "fresh" syrup is hot off the evaporator.
I think you can tell the flavors better after it's cooled down. Hot off the evaporator is nice though!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

GAB

Quote from: celliott on January 21, 2017, 06:27:33 PM
Syrup certainly doesn't go bad if it's stored and packaged properly. The only way to get truly "fresh" syrup is hot off the evaporator.
I think you can tell the flavors better after it's cooled down. Hot off the evaporator is nice though!

Hot off the evaporator is the only way to offer newbies a sample as for many it is like a laxative.
Of course most sugar houses, for tax purposes, do not have bathrooms.
Smile as you serve it you sly devil,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Quote from: GAB on January 21, 2017, 07:24:35 PM
Quote from: celliott on January 21, 2017, 06:27:33 PM

Hot off the evaporator is the only way to offer newbies a sample as for many it is like a laxative.
Of course most sugar houses, for tax purposes, do not have bathrooms.
Smile as you serve it you sly devil,
Gerald 

We have an outhouse, so emergencies can be dealt with!   ;)   ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ozarkgem

Been tapping a Bud lite keg. No snow shoes required.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

celliott

Quote from: ozarkgem on January 22, 2017, 06:28:56 PM
Been tapping a Bud lite keg. No snow shoes required.

And I'm on snowshoes all day every day poking holes in trees, wishing I was tapping a keg. I must be doing something wrong.

Nah, I still love it  8) It just makes the beer taste that much better at the end of the day!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Chuck White

Chris;  Might I ask, how many taps does your outfit have?

Gotta be a lot to make 17,000 gallons last year!

The biggest outfit around here claims 60 barrels in one day last season!

cbla

celliott

Last year we boiled from approx. 35,000. We had one producer with about 8,000 taps that sold us sap the whole year, so we didn't have to tap it or take care of it, just boil. Our own trees that we have to tap, vacuum check and maintain, is approximately 36,000 this year. I think we are still getting sap from the one producer again, so our boiled from # will be higher.

60 barrels a day is quite alot! Assuming 40 gallon drums that's 2400 gallons. We had a few 1200 gallon days.

Off to tap more trees. Hopeful to get our coldest, steepest woods done today. We do it first before the snow gets unreasonably deep. approx. 8000 taps, we should be in good shape to finish it today.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

loggah

I probably wont tap until the end of Feb, depending on the weather. We use mostly buckets ,so our window for sap is a lot shorter then tubing. Do you get most of your supplys from Goodriches?  I usually get up there for my filters and buckets. I was up to Ed Farrs a few weeks ago and picked up an old "NEW" Marlin. I see the Langmaid brothers every once in a while . They usually cost me money !!! ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

celliott

Quote from: loggah on January 24, 2017, 01:15:23 PM
I probably wont tap until the end of Feb, depending on the weather. We use mostly buckets ,so our window for sap is a lot shorter then tubing. Do you get most of your supplys from Goodriches?  I usually get up there for my filters and buckets. I was up to Ed Farrs a few weeks ago and picked up an old "NEW" Marlin. I see the Langmaid brothers every once in a while . They usually cost me money !!! ;D ;D

Loggah, I work for Glenn Goodrich.

Sounds like you know my area fairly well!

Do you know Steve Davis? He drives sap truck for us in the spring.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

loggah

I might know him by sight,i usually go up to Goodriches a few times during sugaring season.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Bruno of NH

Loggah
Good to hear from ya :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

loggah

You to, I know you been going thru a rough time !!!!! :o

RPowers

There isn't the density of maple that you NE guys have, here in AR, but my acreage has enough to run a good number of taps for me.  My evaporator tray is being tweaked by some sheet metal guys now, should be done tomorrow. I plan on running 100 taps this season to get my feet wet, and go up from there. Based on wandering my property I think we could run 250-300 max. Just a hobby.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Chuck White

With 100 taps, you'll have enough syrup for your family and still have a little left over to sell! 

Have fun, it is interesting!

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: RPowers on January 24, 2017, 08:59:24 PM
There isn't the density of maple that you NE guys have, here in AR, but my acreage has enough to run a good number of taps for me.  My evaporator tray is being tweaked by some sheet metal guys now, should be done tomorrow. I plan on running 100 taps this season to get my feet wet, and go up from there. Based on wandering my property I think we could run 250-300 max. Just a hobby.

With 100 taps if you have a good year you could expect as much as 15-20 gallons of finished syrup.  The last couple years I have been averaging 5-7 taps per gallon of syrup.