iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood tumblers

Started by OH logger, January 19, 2017, 07:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

we make firewood with a processor with a kind of box style wedge. it does a great job and makes nice size wood one pass through but it makes a lot of splinters, slivers and chips. I pile the firewood on a cement pad and let season for 6 months before I deliver it. I built a homemade cleaner (not tumbler) this year to clean the wood as it goes on the delivery truck. it works ok but its not perfect. ive always felt that its better to clean the wood when its seasoned rather than dry because bark and what not loosens up as it drys.   now my question is : ....would a tumbler right behind the processor do a better job than what I'm doin now if I forgot using my homemade cleaner??  the reason I bring this up is we made about 50 cord of wood this week and I am loading it on semis (too high and time consuming to use my cleaner so its raw ) and there is a lot if "chips" and slivers of wood (that the wedge made because I know it didn't dry and then flake off) that a tumbler would have filtered out when we processed the wood. It all boils down to how much really loosens up as the wood drys?? and does a tumbler get EVERY BIT of the slivers and little stuff out?? I would love to tumble the wood as we process it in the spring and then in the fall when I'm busy as heck loggin just load the wood and go and not have to clean it then. does anyone tumble their wood when they split it AND when they sell it?? and if so how much do you get the second time you tumble when the wood is dry?? for those of you that tumble the wood as it comes off the processor and put in a pile to season are you happy with the product when it dries and you load it out??? I'm not tryin to reinvent the wheel but its too wet to log and my mind wonders  :D. I don't kiln dry anything and I'm in farm country so theres not great money in wood here like the big cities BUT people still want clean wood. thanks all for your help
john

shamusturbo

I'm in the same boat for a "cleaning mechanism". Ironically, my brother sent me a link yesterday to a tumbler for a skidsteer. It is made by Blockbuster and was listed on a used forestry equipment listings site. I have seen different variations on them before. It is a horizontal "basket" that is spun by the auxiliary hydraulics for $6500.

I agree 100% that tumbling is much more effective after the seasoning process because of the bark being dried out. CRD makes a very high dollar tumbler that is a stand alone unit and would be very effective even though I feel it runs a little too fast. I couldn't find a good picture of it. They have a good youtube video on their site.

OH Logger, are you splitting on the woodbine? Does it have a conveyor "split"? I think that is the best/first defense for the bark, kindling, rot, awkward pieces to fall out. IMO, that is one of the best features of the relatively basic design of the processors we both know well.

Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

NWP

I've looked at Blockbuster's tumblers. I like the one that cleans and sorts smaller pieces for bundles. We make bundles so it's almost a 2 for 1 deal. Clean firewood and bundle size sorted in one pass. I haven't bit the bullet on it yet. My plan was to put it behind the processor and run the wood back through it again prior to delivery in the fall.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

woodman87

I have a tumbler I just got custom made last year. Same as you, I had 60 cord of wood that was processed on the ground for 12 months. Thing works great. I can get you some pictures tomorrow if you want. I paid 11k for mine, 13hp honda, all mechanical(chain) no hydraulics.

lopet

Behind the processor you can get all the fines and the splinters out and after six months drying you will get more bark screened out.
Don't see why you wanna do it twice, when you can do it in one shut.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

OH logger

Quote from: shamusturbo on January 20, 2017, 08:41:30 AM
I'm in the same boat for a "cleaning mechanism". Ironically, my brother sent me a link yesterday to a tumbler for a skidsteer. It is made by Blockbuster and was listed on a used forestry equipment listings site. I have seen different variations on them before. It is a horizontal "basket" that is spun by the auxiliary hydraulics for $6500.

I agree 100% that tumbling is much more effective after the seasoning process because of the bark being dried out. CRD makes a very high dollar tumbler that is a stand alone unit and would be very effective even though I feel it runs a little too fast. I couldn't find a good picture of it. They have a good youtube video on their site.

OH Logger, are you splitting on the woodbine? Does it have a conveyor "split"? I think that is the best/first defense for the bark, kindling, rot, awkward pieces to fall out. IMO, that is one of the best features of the relatively basic design of the processors we both know well.

I looked at that blockbuster tumbler on the skid steer when I was at blockbuster. looked like digging a pond with a spoon to me :o. it would take forever to clean 20 cord. for another $4000 or so a guy could have a "real" one. I too think that the CRD one runs too fast. it don't give the wood a chance to tumble and get thrown around to let the chips get out. I think that a regular tumbler is slow to try to tumble into the delivery truck  but maybe that's necessary to get a good job though. (I deliver most of my wood in the fall and I'm busy as heck loggin then and I have to get it done fast). that's why I thought if I only tumble the wood when we process it and NOT when I deliver it that it would be "good enough". I would love to not clean the wood at all when I deliver it. and yes we split on the woodbine but the conveyor he has is short and only goes 8 feet high or so (worthless to me) so that's why I got the blockbuster elevator. but I did like the "split" belt CRD conveyor and it was pretty effective at getting the debris out.

Quote from: NWP on January 20, 2017, 11:34:10 AM
I've looked at Blockbuster's tumblers. I like the one that cleans and sorts smaller pieces for bundles. We make bundles so it's almost a 2 for 1 deal. Clean firewood and bundle size sorted in one pass. I haven't bit the bullet on it yet. My plan was to put it behind the processor and run the wood back through it again prior to delivery in the fall.
is that the size wood that most make their bundles out of? if so that would save me time and labor to as we split wood pretty small to make bundles out of too.  and the other question is is you think that you would have to clean the wood twice also?? I wonder the same thing.  :-\  I was wonderin if I would tumble the wood out of the processor and not again if the stuff that loosens up as it dries would be kindling for the customer. my customers like kindling just not the dirty debris  :(.

Quote from: woodman87 on January 20, 2017, 05:25:04 PM
I have a tumbler I just got custom made last year. Same as you, I had 60 cord of wood that was processed on the ground for 12 months. Thing works great. I can get you some pictures tomorrow if you want. I paid 11k for mine, 13hp honda, all mechanical(chain) no hydraulics.
I like pictures  ;D
john

Gearbox

I see around here there a people selling oil field sucker rod quite cheap . I think its 7/8 x 30 ft. . Seems like you could build one to dump right into the dump truck . 4 4.80 x 8 tires for rollers 2 or all 4 driving .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

GRANITEstateMP

OH Logger,

I process with a little Haikki Pilke 1x37 and mine has got a decent set of grates behind the wedge and before the discharge shoot.  I was wondering if you could add something like that onto your processor, it won't accomplish all of what your looking to do BUT it might help by making the green pile a little cleaner to start with?  Oh yeah and it should be super cheap! (like me)  If you were to put a big "pan" under the grates it would make clean up easy too.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

NWP

Quote from: OH logger on January 20, 2017, 07:37:17 PM

is that the size wood that most make their bundles out of? if so that would save me time and labor to as we split wood pretty small to make bundles out of too.  and the other question is is you think that you would have to clean the wood twice also?? I wonder the same thing.  :-\  I was wonderin if I would tumble the wood out of the processor and not again if the stuff that loosens up as it dries would be kindling for the customer. my customers like kindling just not the dirty debris  :(.

https://youtu.be/1VQGjiV1xpE

Here is a video of the tumbler I was talking about.  I talked to Blockbuster about it.  They said that the spacing is set up to allow the center pieces from their 12 way box wedge to pass through.  I think that would be a little big for what we wrap.  He said they can space the bars any spacing so I would probably move them closer together.  I talked to a guy that had one and was going to go look at it and watch it operate prior to ordering one.  Blockbuster also said they would extend the clean out portion of it another foot or two because it wasn't quite enough length to get all the slivers out before it got to the sorter. 

My plan was to tumble it coming out of the processor to sort the bundle pieces and clean the wood and then run it through again loading.  It really doesn't add much time to either process.  I would probably run the tumbler to sort when we process 4,6, and 8 way logs since the bar spacing wouldn't allow pieces from the 12 way through.  Our current method is to process the wood then when we bundle it to resplit it to size.  I don't think I could get 100% of my bundle wood from sorting with a tumbler but it would cut a significant portion of time out of our bundling process.  I'd definitely like to hear how others do it.  There may be a simple solution to getting bundle size pieces I haven't thought of.  We've tried running 6 way logs through the 8 way head but it really doesn't work that well as there is still a fair amount that slips through that needs resplit.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

woodman87

Here is my tumbler. 1.5" spacing, 13hp honda, runs great. I paid 11k for it

By the way, I don't know who runs this site, but trying to get a pictures on the posts is the stupidest way of doing it. Why can't I just add the picture from my computer? Making a gallery, then trying to get it to post, etc. Too complicated, I finally got it on my 3rd try....

Gearbox

I want my cut they copied my idea right down to the tire size . Just send the check to my Pay Pal acct.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

OH logger

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on January 21, 2017, 01:45:42 PM
OH Logger,

I process with a little Haikki Pilke 1x37 and mine has got a decent set of grates behind the wedge and before the discharge shoot.  I was wondering if you could add something like that onto your processor, it won't accomplish all of what your looking to do BUT it might help by making the green pile a little cleaner to start with?  Oh yeah and it should be super cheap! (like me)  If you were to put a big "pan" under the grates it would make clean up easy too.
the processor guy added grates under and behind the wedge that did help some but a LOT gets by.

Quote from: NWP on January 21, 2017, 08:08:19 PM
Quote from: OH logger on January 20, 2017, 07:37:17 PM

https://youtu.be/1VQGjiV1xpE

Here is a video of the tumbler I was talking about.  I talked to Blockbuster about it.  They said that the spacing is set up to allow the center pieces from their 12 way box wedge to pass through.  I think that would be a little big for what we wrap.  He said they can space the bars any spacing so I would probably move them closer together.  I talked to a guy that had one and was going to go look at it and watch it operate prior to ordering one.  Blockbuster also said they would extend the clean out portion of it another foot or two because it wasn't quite enough length to get all the slivers out before it got to the sorter. 

My plan was to tumble it coming out of the processor to sort the bundle pieces and clean the wood and then run it through again loading.  It really doesn't add much time to either process.  I would probably run the tumbler to sort when we process 4,6, and 8 way logs since the bar spacing wouldn't allow pieces from the 12 way through.  Our current method is to process the wood then when we bundle it to resplit it to size.  I don't think I could get 100% of my bundle wood from sorting with a tumbler but it would cut a significant portion of time out of our bundling process.  I'd definitely like to hear how others do it.  There may be a simple solution to getting bundle size pieces I haven't thought of.  We've tried running 6 way logs through the 8 way head but it really doesn't work that well as there is still a fair amount that slips through that needs resplit.

so you would tumble twice?? I don't know either but if you had a tumbler why not just do it as youre delivering it or on the processing end?  . I wish I could just tumble when we process for the reasons I said earlier. i pile my wood on a cement pad so dirt and rocks, etc are  no issue. if i wouldn't have to clean the wood when i deliver it i could just turn and dump with the skid loader and it goes fast.
by the way do you have a blockbuster 12 way wedge?? i saw it in person when i was there and i REALLY liked it. i like cord kings 8 way "box style" wedge but i like blockbusters 12 way wedge even better. if you do have it are you happy with the welds and longevity and the wood size?? I'm torn between cord king and blockbusters processors. i would like to talk to you about your 22-22. blockbuster is a nice family oriented company.
as far as the bundles go; I'm not tryin to be nosy but how many full cord do you sell a year versus how many bundles do you sell?? the reason i ask is that i sell 400 cord a year or so and only about 400 or so bundles a year. i was thinkin a might have bundle wood comin out of my ears :D. i wood sure think i wood get more than 1 bundle yield for 1 cord of wood tumbled  :). i wish i could sell more bundles but around here its a saturated market and I'm stretched thin enough already.

woodman 87 that is sure a nice tumbler!! who built it for you??
john

NWP

OH Logger, we do about 15,000 bundles per year. Haven't added the numbers for 2016 but probably 400 cords loose. Yes, I would tumble it on both ends of the process. I would tumble it to sort the bundle sized pieces off coming off the processor then again when loading loose wood to deliver since the bark would be coming off. I like the 12 way. We sort and make sure the logs are pretty straight and knot free otherwise it gets stuck in the wedge. I'll PM you my number if you want to call me. I'd be happy to discuss the blockbuster and our operation.

OH logger

that's a ton of bundles!! doin that many I would tumble twice too. that' sounds like and ideal set up for you!! I wondered too about sorting logs for the 12 way. I wouldn't be opposed to sorting logs BUT I have not much extra space at all to do that here. the guy that does my wood has a 10 way and it ALL goes through unless its real ruff. if it wasn't for the "box" wedge I don't know that I would need to tumble at all. it does make splinters but it makes good wood.  :)
john

thecfarm

woodman87,the picture posting part works and works well. Very few red X's on here. The pictures are downloaded to a gallery and will always be there.
Seem like one of those picture host place changed the rules a few years back. No broken links the way it is done here.
I see the tumbler came from Thomas.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

Quote from: woodman87 on January 22, 2017, 11:55:06 AM
Here is my tumbler. 1.5" spacing, 13hp honda, runs great. I paid 11k for it

By the way, I don't know who runs this site, but trying to get a pictures on the posts is the stupidest way of doing it. Why can't I just add the picture from my computer? Making a gallery, then trying to get it to post, etc. Too complicated, I finally got it on my 3rd try....

Pretty neat unit for reasonable money !   Only down side I see, that you need two conveyors or elevators. One with a chute or slide to feed it and one at the other end to make a pile.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

pineywoods

X2 what thecfarm said. What initially looks like stupid way of posting pics is actually a stroke of genius once you understand it. Pics never go away, but the real nicey is I can browse other member's picture gallery looking for ideas or just plain entertainment. See a pic you like, there's a link to corresponding posts. This place was designed as an educational tool, not just a place to swap lies and good natured ribbing.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodman87

I will look into the gallery thing some more. Yes, it is a Thomas I had him build it to my specifications.  I do need two conveyors, one to feed it and one to take product away. Ideally a third to take the third product out too, don't have that one yet.  I don't think a gravity chute would work very well to feed it, seems like it would get stuck in there. My infeed conveyor is level and only about 9' long, and zips right along so it throws it into the tumbler. We also put a corkscrew thing around the inside so it pushes the wood through it a little faster.

glassman_48

One of the companies I represent has a fine seperator, they are not cheap ($10,000) ABS is the company located in New York.  I own Northern Michigan Firewood Products (website) and I am a sponsor in here I also sell the brute force firewood processors.  Just another idea for you guys to consider.  Thanks, Ed

OH logger

Quote from: glassman_48 on January 26, 2017, 07:22:49 PM
One of the companies I represent has a fine seperator, they are not cheap ($10,000) ABS is the company located in New York.  I own Northern Michigan Firewood Products (website) and I am a sponsor in here I also sell the brute force firewood processors.  Just another idea for you guys to consider.  Thanks, Ed
those look ok but if you have 6 foot wide bucket they appear to be too small (narrow). I'm not sure how sturdy the rods are that the "oscillating flats" are on but it looks to me like if you accidentally dumped a big slug of wood on it it could bend those rods; or at least it wouldn't clean the wood at all either. has ABS sold many of these units and how wide can they make them?
john

glassman_48

Oh logger,
I checked with ABS, they have building these for a year now.  They can build a custom width and have had no problems with firewood dropping from a conveyor that would bend the fins.  If you want more info, just contact me and i will send you a brochure.  Thanks, Ed

OH logger

Quote from: glassman_48 on January 27, 2017, 02:06:31 PM
Oh logger,
I checked with ABS, they have building these for a year now.  They can build a custom width and have had no problems with firewood dropping from a conveyor that would bend the fins.  If you want more info, just contact me and i will send you a brochure.  Thanks, Ed

sounds good and thanks but I was thinking if its built 6 feet wide like my firewood bucket would the rods be too long and not strong enough to take getting dumped into/onto with a bucket? that's if I decide to clean the wood as I'm delivering it
john

OH logger

boy  how a week or 2 change things! the way it looks now I might be stacking (by hand  :( ) wood In racks for restaurant use. its better money and I might not need a tumbler anymore. instaed of tumbling and delivering I stack in the rack and they pick it up. if something changes I would be interested in a blockbuster with the chute to load directly with a skidloader. they appear to be great quality and would work well with the powerpack I have and the elevator I have. if the ABS is still around, proven, and wide enough they might need a second look too. I just don't think I will deliver enough in bulk in the foreseeable future (unless somethin falls through) to justify a tumbler. I can  make the homemade cleaner I have work. if it changes though I will be back on here pickin all your brains for ideas again  ;)! thanks again!
john

NWP

Can you make baskets that you could load with a skid steer so you don't have to handle each piece?  Other than that it sounds like a good deal.  Restaurants are interesting customers to deal with sometimes.

OH logger

Quote from: NWP on February 03, 2017, 04:46:24 PM
Can you make baskets that you could load with a skid steer so you don't have to handle each piece?  Other than that it sounds like a good deal.  Restaurants are interesting customers to deal with sometimes.

I could but the company I will be going through actually has the contract. they are providing racks that the guy they bought out used when he did it. I have been looking at the Posch Packfix system online. the dealer is in new York. the wood goes into the drum loose and when full you lift the drum up as you are wrappin the wood with netting. it looks to be the bees knees but like everything else its pricey. look at them on u tube. if this really takes off and looks to be steady it might be the way to take the hand labor out of it. this appears to be a good deal but I wont count my chickens until they hatch. much better money than bulk sales. two things about that wood wrapper is that the wood has to be clean AND the right size goin in. the dealer said that most people wrap the wood right off the processor. that way you only handle it once. but that kind of means a box style wedge and/or a cleaner of some sort if the customer is picky. we will hand stack in the racks for now but labor is never that easy to get as most know.
john

Thank You Sponsors!