Zebra Wood ?

Started by Autocar, January 19, 2017, 07:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Years ago  what I thought was zebra wood it was yellow with black like lighting streaks running though it. Ring a bell with anyone ? I looked on E-Bay but it sure dosen't look like what I remember of the colors. Iam looking for something 48 inches long , I want to build a full stock out to the tip of the barrel 375 Holland and Holland.
Bill

Don P

Yup, that's it, I'd call it cream and brown/black. My client has a stick in his shop, I'll try to get a pic.

Just Me

I have had a 2" thick plank of it around for about 20 years but have not figured out what to do with it. Funny wood to work, light parts are soft as heck, dark is hard. Light part is prone to stringing, and you have to use a hard base when sanding, preferably with Stick'it paper or you will get undulations that will show up when finished.

My dad made a couple of thumbhole stocks out of it, tough to work with but pretty when done.

I just looked on Ebay, that is Zebrawood. The darker ones have a coat of finish on them and that is representative of how it will look.

DFILER2

If you are looking for a little more yellow you might want to check tiger wood, the computer kept wanting to change it to "Tiger Woods" but if you make sure there is no "s" you'll see some examples. My dad used to have a rifle stock made from it that had some carvings in it, beautiful wood.

Larry

A took a picture to show the range of color that can be expected.  I tried to color match to make sure it was accurate on the screen but failed.  Both boards should have more yellow tint.  The one on the left is close.  They are quarter sawed.

I use it for inlay mostly as its far too expensive, at least for me, to actually build anything out of it.

I've not had good luck buying tropical wood on ebay.  It ends up not being the correct species or a poor grade. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Autocar

That is not the color I remember and I don't care for the color. The mill I sell logs to has a lumber outlet and zebra wood runs $18.00 a board foot. I will hold of till something jumps out at my. I thought about osage orange lamanated with walnut. I have use all of my good figured coffee bean and my spaled hard maple. Thanks for the feed back.
Bill

Don P

coffee bean... Kentucky coffee tree?
If so there's a state champion that fell that we'll be milling soon. I've never seen the wood that I recall.