Started by Magicman, January 19, 2017, 04:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

It is a Cherrybark Oak getting a hug from and Elm.   ;D

But what is this:

The trunk of an 8" tree.

The foliage that stays year round.

The fruit (berries).

An individual leaf showing little saw teeth on the edge. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den-Den

I believe that is called a Cherry Laurel here.  They are fairly common in my area but an 8" trunk is a good one.  The wood is pretty but very unstable.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

caveman

Prunus caroliniana (Cherry Laurel or Carolina Laurel Cherry).  Most of the ones here have spiral grain and smoother bark.  The leaves and twigs smell a lot like cherry cola.

Do any of you cook on it?  I burn a lot of black cherry when smoking meat but have never tried Cherry Laurel.
Caveman

Magicman

Yes Dennis, that trunk is the largest that I have ever seen.  Even one 4" is unusual to see.

I have always known these plants to be in this particular area, but never thought to ask what they were.  Now I can look in the book without reading the entire book.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Yup, my pictures and the book's illustrations look identical. Carolina Laurelcherry.  The only caution that I see is that injured or wilted leaves contain "hydrocyanic acid" which can be fatal when ingested by humans and most mammals; young leaves are browsed by deer with no problems.

I was surprised to not see any mention of the fact that it retains it's leaves year round.

Thanks for the identification.   :)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I've got one in my back yard that's roughly 12" dbh...

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!