iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 35 - Diesel Upgrade

Started by brad918, January 19, 2017, 12:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad918

Hey Guys/Gals,

I was browsing around on Wood-Mizer's site and noticed the LT35 hydraulic has the 24HP Yanmar diesel as an upgrade. I don't remember seeing this as an option before but does anyone have this, or have thoughts on if its worth the $4k upgrade and if the standard 25HP gas is usually sufficient?  I would mainly be sawing wide, 3-4 foot long hardwood crotches and occasionally 20"+ hemlock. 

Thanks,
Brad
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

seaview

I too am asking that exact question... gas vs diesel on the LT35HD.
Have searched out and looked at what is available in used mills (both gas and diesel) and turns out that what is on offer in my area (and it isn't much) isn't worth the price or the hassle; seems everyone around here thinks their mill are worth as much as what they paid for it originally?!
So it's going to be a brand new WM sawmill; and this is my final item of indecision that needs to be satisfied before I put my money down!
Your thoughts please... gas vs diesel??

carykong

Diesel is best for long run times and higher production with less cost on fuel
If you anticipate less production and more custom milling, the upgrade might be difficult to justify.

Magicman

Diesel and then your sawmill will still be worth as much as you pay for it.   You may regret gas, but you will never regret Diesel.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I ran a 25 hp gas Kohler on my LT15.  It was a fuel hog.  Compared to that, my LT40HDD35, 35 hp diesel, just sips fuel. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tacks Y

Brad, Good luck with your choice. Good to see someone close to me ( Warren) on here. Tom

YellowHammer

Go diesel, you wont regret it.  The flat torque curve offers forgiveness with feed speeds without having big changes of RPM.  Also, very easy on fuel, and if nothing else it makes a cool sound...I have a diesel on my LT40 and am very happy with it.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

Diesel. 

I bought my mill as a hobby with all the extras available in '01, except the laser.  I never would have predicted that 16 yrs later I have been milling now with it in business for about 10 years.   Diesel for long life, highest power, low fuel, low fuel problems, low fire hazard, resale value.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pineywoods

There is some downside to going diesel besides price. Mostly if you tend to let the mill set unused for long periods. Water in the fuel and not run for a month is asking for rusted up injectors, big money to fix. I worked on one (lombardini) that had that problem, over $2k to get it going. Diesels need to be run hard and often. Another difference nobody mentions is cooling. Gas burners are air cooled, diesels liquid cooled. Run a gas burner up to temp, then shut it down, the cooling goes away and the engine cooks. Gas burners are usually set up to run rich for extra cooliing, hence more fuel. I have another option, liquid cooled gas burner. Sips fuel like a diesel, very quiet and smooth. I know of only 3 woodmizers in the entire country with that engine..25 hp kawasaki industrial ..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

scully

There is little argument that diesel is the way to go , but the bigger question here is weather or not it is a good thing on an LT35 platform .  That mill is lighter in reguards to the mast head assembly , now you add more weight and power to it and what ? I would be cautious !  I would take the 4 grand and the mill to WM and come back with a 40 super . Just my 2cents.
I bleed orange  .

seaview

Scully- Agreed; is the diesel right for the WM LT35HD? In both USA and Canada, the two options for the LT35 are gas 25hp or diesel 24hp... $$$ upgrade for diesel. That is a whole bunch more power for a mill that was never meant to be anything more than a hobby mill with hydraulics. LT40 I can see adding extra power with all it's increase speed of production features and options. But on the LT35 you can't even get the auto clutch, auto blade guide or auto blade lubrication. That mill was made farmers, small contractors/post and beam boys' and older folks that mill their own lumber for fun on weekends. My thinking is that we can use Biodiesel and breath easier. But what of the added diesel noise? Some say yes and some say is quieter? Yo- whats up? And what of ongoing maintenance? Diesel mechanics are specialized fellows and I can imagine that we will end up paying more for their services? Or not? Sure are a lot of people that know about small gas engines...
All that being said---I think I'll get the diesel. Why not? If Wood Mizer thinks its the way to go, and I trust their judgment, then the benefits must be grand! or rather many grand!!

MartyParsons

Hello,
  I agree with Seaview. Until the last sentence. These small mills work great with the gas engines. I think you said we want diesel options and WM listened. The 10 hp Yanmar on the LT15 is a nice engine and works fine. The Kohler 25 hp will our perform it hands down.  When you go any larger with the diesel you add lots of extra weight to the saw head. I don't think it was ever designed for the extra 50#.
I am seeing some pretty high hours ( 5000+) with no real issues on the LT35HD with the 25 hp Gas engine. I do have some water cooled diesels out there on the LT35 and owners like them.

My opinion would be purchase the Kohler 25 hp. The 19 hp even works well. The 19 hp out performs the 15 hp single cylinder that was used on early models of the LT15.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

brad918

Thank you everyone for the responses!

Scully, I agree if you're going to upgrade to the 24hp diesel might as well just jump up to the LT40, bigger platform that can handle the added weight.

Seaview, I'd really like to hear what direction you decide to go on your mill! And good luck with the purchase!

Marty, thank you for your opinion and I'm looking forward to coming down to see you this spring.

Tacks, yes good to see someone close by. Do you have a mill? I'm actually heading to Warren tonight (girlfriend lives there). A buddy of mine has a mill in Sheffield so I visit him often until I get my own.

Thanks again!
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

seaview

Marty- you must keep us FF readers up to speed on the LT35HD 24hp diesel news, recalls or WHY. Is a big commitment and wouldn't want that water cooled diesel motor to break off my soon to be shinny new Wood Mizer sawmill anytime soon. My son-in-law is very enamoured with Bio-diesel and since we all work together on the family farm, I must make it a priority to research the diesel option throughly. Am sure the extra power and torque would be fantastic. And everything else here is Bio-diesel to boot; including excavator, trucks, skid-steer, tractor --- to mention just a few of the must have farm machinery. Funny; never thought I'd every get excited about an excavator, let along a sawmill... but there you go!

seaview

Well I guess it doesn't matter anymore about the diesel... just got the quote from Wood Mizer Canada today and the diesel has gone up from a 3K CDN option to darn close to 6K CDN extra for this desirable option!! No big deal. Probably best to keep it simple and stick with the 25 HP Kohler Twin Cyl. Gas Engine given my tremendous lack of experience. When you think about it, that's the beauty of the LT35HD---full hydraulics with basic features on a rugged platform.

Darrel

I'm a big diesel fan but my old mill has a gas engine, 24 horse and it does fine. Besides that I can work on it. I like diesel because it has more torque and uses less fuel. But gas will do fine too.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!