iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A couple of trees to ID

Started by elitts, January 19, 2017, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elitts

Both of these trees are growing in SW Michigan, in some well drained, but flood prone areas. (ie, it floods once every few years for a few days)

The trees are each in the realm of 14" - 16" in diameter, straight and 50'-60' tall.

DelawhereJoe

Looks to me like red maple (soft maple). Any chance of a picture or two of the ends of the twigs ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

elitts

Yeah, when I started trying to figure it out by myself via pictures, I realized I need pictures of twigs.  Unfortunately (for this purpose anyway)  these are all clear up to 20' or higher, so I'm pretty much stuck looking at fallen stuff and it's really hard to be sure what it fell from.  I'll have to go back out this weekend and see if there are any similar looking trees with bark that have branches close enough to cut one off for examination.

Last summer I wasn't really considering turning any of them into lumber.  My only consideration was their suitability for holding up a couple thousand pounds of treehouse, or a zip line or I'd have attempted to figure this out while they had leaves.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nativewolf

Could the first picture be buckeye? 
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!