Sponsors:

Pantry moth

Started by Den Socling, January 18, 2017, 10:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Try lots of frogs for the fruit flies
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chop Shop

Just kiln dry the food first!

Den Socling

Our dog has taken to chasing moths. He isn't very effective but it's highly amusing!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Den Socling on February 08, 2017, 05:38:52 PM
Our dog has taken to chasing moths. He isn't very effective but it's highly amusing!
My two dogs (Border Collies) like to chase flies.  One is really quite good at it and can catch them.  The second one just started and, even though she is much more intelligent than the other, she doesn't quite get it.  The fly will go out of the lit area and she will follow.  She misses that it turns right around and comes back.  She continues to the other end of the house wondering where it went.  Over, and over and over again... :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DelawhereJoe

Someone please...order the man a bug-a-salt gun and 50 lbs of salt.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Den Socling

I'd need a double barrel bug-a-salt. They are small!

Ox

Buy two, tape them together with a dowel across both triggers!  Double barrel!
We've had pantry moths for about a year now.  Started with them in a bag of whole corn we bought to grind up for cornmeal.  Very hard to get rid of.  We'll need to get to the cabinets here soon.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Den Socling

A whole year! That is bad news. We have everything outside while we are away for two weeks. Hope we can starve them out. If not, I may buy about a hundred frogs as suggested.

DelawhereJoe

Why frogs, I remember MagicMan posting last summer about the geckos that he has at his house. They should work much better then frogs, just kindly ask him to mail you up a few.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Farmerjw

Talked about this with my wife last night, she said the ACE store she used to work at actually had pantry moth traps.  Didn't know if you knew this or had tried them. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

sandhills

Heck just watch Andrew Zimmerman enough, I'm sure they're a delicacy somewhere? ::)

thecfarm

I sell them in the hardware store that I work at too.
google Safer pantry moth traps.
They also make a caterpillar spray that works great on those tomato hornworms.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Den Socling

Thanks thecfarm. Google will find anything and Amazon always has it for sale. Yesterday we went to Big Lots, Walmart and CVS looking for a simple wall-mount coat rack for dad's apartment and a new cane. Unbelievably, we found zero coat racks and unsuitable canes. We get back here and I go to Amazon and the mission is accomplished in about a minute. Like I told Patti, it's no wonder that one-line shopping is putting brick & mortar out of business. 

Ox

It seems a shame in some ways, but makes sense in other ways.  I'm a big fan of Amazon Prime.  This year at the end of the year after we joined they sent us something saying we saved around $800 in shipping this last year getting stuff.  I don't believe that because I don't think we ordered that much at ALL, but we definitely saved the $100 sign up fee.  How do they make enough money to stay in business?  I've noticed that at least some times the price that has prime shipping is a bit higher than the same thing on ebay, but still not high enough to cover all the charges.  Beats me, but I'm happy to have found it.  I've bought tools, hardware, birthday and Christmas gifts, etc. on there.  Better than going to real stores and suffering having to walk all over and dealing with the public! 
Just ordered two pantry moth traps and we'll see how that works.  So far we only see a few a day.  It's amazing how we can never see where they come from.  Like I said before, someday we'll get to the cabinets when we're not so lazy.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Den Socling

Patti got a pack of Dr. Killigan's moth traps  and set them out tonight. They are sucking up moths like all get out. I looked in one it it had 13 moths trapped. I guess they are all males but they will stop the dynasty.

Den Socling

There is not a single live moth in sight this morning. The trap in the pantry has so many moths stuck in it that they are impossible to count. Good work, Dr. Killigan.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ox

Got us 2 traps a few weeks ago and cleaned out a bunch of stuff in the pantry.  It's amazing where those little critters can crawl into.  Down to only seeing a few flying around ever since.  I think there's an end in sight.  Our trap's brand name is Pro-Pest Pantry Moth and Beetle Trap.

21incher

Quote from: Den Socling on March 02, 2017, 08:34:13 AM
There is not a single live moth in sight this morning. The trap in the pantry has so many moths stuck in it that they are impossible to count. Good work, Dr. Killigan.
I guess it is time for you to celebrate with a mothless  Molson ( say that 3 times fast ). You better start taking vitamins to replace all the moth protein your diet will be lacking.  ;D ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ox

I tried doing what you sssssssssaid sssssssssaying it 3 timessssssssss and now my keyboard isssss ssssssticky.

Den Socling

That's pretty funny. I have had a couple Molson's tonight and I sure can't say it three times fast!  :D

Den Socling

The way I understand it, these traps are supposed to attract male moths. Either we had a major shortage of lady moths or our lady moths were "do-funnies" (my father's term).  :D

Den Socling

Checked a trap tonight and there is a stink bug stuck in there. Do they eat insects or something?

Roxie

Not that I know of, but they're stupid enough to blunder into a trap of water.  They do a lot of damage to fruit and vegetables, so I've assumed that's their food of choice. 
Say when

pappy19

Put bay leaves all over and in boxes of grains, cereal,  flour, whatever. No gremlins 
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Thank You Sponsors!