iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pantry moth

Started by Den Socling, January 18, 2017, 10:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

This is a real warning and no joke. If you have birdseed in you house for a pet or for wild birds, you may end up with Pantry Moths. They are small only - about 1/2" wingtip to wingtip. Their maggots are about the size of a grain of rice. And they seem to be able to get into anything. I first found maggots in my cereal.  :o The bag was rolled up and the box was closed. After we started reading about them, Patti checked everything and ended up throwing away boxes and bags of food. For awhile, we would have as many as a half dozen flying around our kitchen. They lay invisible eggs on shelves and walls. They are nasty! Patti eventually starved them out. We see only one now and then. But today she cooked some pasta that was stored in Tupperware.  Would you believe they somehow got past that seal? Here is one website that addresses how to get rid of them. http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Pantry-Moths There are more sites available. But the real problem comes with the birdseed! Read about storing birdseed which is where I'm sure we got them. We had bags of seed for our parakeet and wild birds sitting around.

Den Socling

ReggieT

Yikes!
What creepy little pesk.
I'm catching pure D hell...dealing with fruit flies...in the WINTER!! :'(

Czech_Made

We had them once, I used sticky traps to get rid of them.

WV Sawmiller

Yep, back before my wife's cockatiel died a couple years ago we got them in birdseed and they got all over the house. Pest control guys were not very effective in getting rid of them. Haven't seen any in a long time and hope to never see another one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Yep, my daughter had birds when she lived here and we had moths.  We had a box of dog treats (that we forgot about) that was infested with them.  About 40! years ago, my soon-to-be wife and I went down to my mom's house (all the siblings went) when my grandpa was in the hospital.  We were all sitting around the kitchen and noticed little moths here and there.  Then we saw little cocoons in the corners where the popcorn ceiling met the walls - lots of them.  So we all started looking for where they were coming from.  An old, forgotten about box of cereal was one place.  Then we found a old box of dog treats.  They were the ones that looked like a pigs-in-blanket (little hot dog wrapped in dough).  The larva had eaten all the "hot dogs" and left the dough!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Chuck White

I've had them here a few years ago!

Took quite a while to figure out where they came from!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ljohnsaw

One thing I do regularly - I take a preemptive strike!  When I bring grain products like flour and oatmeal into the house, I put it in the freezer for a week.  I figure that should kill off any minuet eggs that may be present.  My daughter does that now with her bird seed and that has cut down on her moth problem considerably.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Den Socling

I turned on football and sat down with a beer. I found a moth in my glass. I'm really mad, now!  >:(

21incher

Quote from: Den Socling on January 22, 2017, 04:51:12 PM
I turned on football and sat down with a beer. I found a moth in my glass. I'm really mad, now!  >:(
Was that before or after the first sip?  :o

We had them years ago also. We think they came in a box of cereal from the store. They were tough to get rid of. Had to throw everything in all the cabinets out, seal off the kitchen, and set off several of those bug bombs from the vet.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Den Socling

I didn't even get the first sip.  :D  I might have mentioned that when I found the itty bitty maggots in my cereal, I shoveled them aside and kept eating.   ::)   Heck, people in some countries munch them down.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Den Socling

Roxie

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 23, 2017, 02:15:30 PM
What kind of beer?

Is this information needed to gauge the degree of the tragedy?   :D
Say when

Raider Bill

We've got to start at a base line. Natty light who cares. A good IPA we got problems. :D  smiley_beertoast

Den Socling

The man has a point, Roxie. Truth of the matter is, we just remove them and eat or drink. I was listening to Patti talking to herself at lunch today. She was making some instant chicken soup that came in a cardboard box. There was a package of flavoring in the box but the dry noodles were lose. As she was stirring, she would say "darn, there's another one". When she sat down to eat, it was "darn! Another. I thought I got them all."   :D

Den Socling

I just came across this in a news article.
"Around the world, about 2 billion people consume insects regularly."

Chuck White

I've heard that too, Den!

Seems a lot of insects are actually consumed while the people are sleeping!

I guess the safer way to avoid eating insects goes to the people who have to use a CPAP unit for sleep apnea!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den Socling

Patti has most everything moved out on a freezing porch but the danG things keep finding my beer glass.   >:(

Raider Bill

You jinxed me..
I went to get some parsley and when I tried to shake it out of the bottle nothing. Found it was all connected by tiny spider web looking crap inside the bottle. Looked a bit better and found we will be cleaning the pantry out this week.

Den Socling

I hope you don't start seeing little moths fluttering all of the place.

Den Socling

I drink tonic water with a twist of lemon during the week. Well I just found a moth floating in my glass.  >:(

WH_Conley

I would be happy to get rid of the blasted fruit flies. Seems everybody in the communtity has trouble with them this year.
Bill

Den Socling

We had fruit flies bad a couple months ago but they have died off.

Raider Bill

We always have fresh fruit on the counter so constantly fight fruit flies. Tried red wine and ACV under plastic wrap and several store bought traps but they come back.

Thank You Sponsors!