iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to find logs for a cabin?

Started by Calgirl13, January 18, 2017, 05:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calgirl13

I am planning on building a log cabin..40x30 and tall enough for a loft. I was wondering if there is somewhere in or around Oklahoma where one can get shipments of logs in order to do so? Also any feedback from someone that has built a log home like this in order to avoid a "kit" . Thank you

Old Forester

I work with a not for profit that helps County Conservation Boards (county parks systems) build log cabins.  You can build cabins, but you can't build log cabins without logs.  We supply 6" x 6" molded, white oak logs for log cabins in county parks.  We only produce and supply logs, you can buy the other materials for a log cabin locally.

We have supplied logs and help build log cabins from 24' x 24' to 26' x 37', the larger ones with lofts.  Would be glad to share thoughts, pictures, ideas and what we think we have learned.

Old Forester

Sorry, thought my profile said we are in Iowa, not smart enough to make an update work.  Too far away to be of much help, but can share experiences.

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum!

Craigslist has become the advertising platform of choice for a lot of markets, but it doesn't look like there is much available in Oklahoma.  The Search Tempest web site provides a very convenient way of searching for things in a large area.  A little googling did reveal the Oklahoma 2 Home lumber vendor.  It looks like they offer pine logs: http://www.lumber2.com/Pine-Logs-p/ti-log.htm

This also might be a great place to start: http://www.forestry.ok.gov/timber-market
Woodland Mills HM130

ScottCC

I want to do the best I can for you in terms of information so here I go, first is to consider what you mean by kit and how much you are capable of doing to end up with a log wall that looks like what you want.  If a D-log is what you want and you wish to buy it like a 2" X 4" there are mills all over but not everywhere so expect to ship unless your lucky and live close.  If you are looking to use a draw knife or adz or similar to create your look just start calling saw mills that work with your wood of choice and then drive to see them, that information usually takes a little talking or cup of coffee to get.  Now for what you might not like, I say it is very easy to build a good log home.  Why?  the errors that are often unacceptable in a sheetrock nightmare are often considered character or rustic or good enough for log homes.  Now building an excellent log home is extremely difficult in my opinion and that is where turning to, at a minimum, a kit consisting of logs only starts to make sense.  There is no wasted logs, a green thing.  The cuts and connections are precise and efficient, caulk is not your friend in logs necessarily.  The equipment to do the work of raising logs tends to consist of a big screw gun, $$$.  That is money going into your new home that you appreciate on a daily basis.  Time is always an issue,  the fastest walls I have put up one day were a small cabin.  The longest log wall work took 6 men 10 days, 10,000 square foot restaurant.  Think of what is important before you make any big commitments, I know because this is exactly what I do and love to do and its to late for me.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

tareece

I am very interested in this thread as we are planning on building 3 1bdrm hunting cabins on our land...
    Eloghomes.com.. southlandloghomes and originalloghomes are 3 very good companies we've researched
    In reference to DIY cabin logs, the idea has peaked my interest but in my mind you have to find so many that are the same and have very little taper that the hunt itself might become a massive part of capital layout, especially on a large cabin you are considering.
    My interests part from yours as i will build 3 small ones that are 'vacation' oriented and you will, I assume, reside in yours.
     But I am interested in saving every $$$$ I can and if this thread comes across a technique or tactic to secure cheaper logs then I will be all over it.
Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

ScottCC

In NY we are lucky to have endless red pine on state and county land that goes up for auction all the time.  Though the bd ft price ends up low you are also invested in a lot full of wood you must log, under given rules.  This ends up really cheap only if it works for you but try it out in your area, it may be different.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Don P

tareece, I'm 99% sure I know the person hiding under the first name in your post and if so, don't even think about it. That is one son of a gun that could go missing without being missed atall. I've built for all three you listed.

Check out Turman log homes in Hillsville VA for a milled log. Their profile was ground by someone who understands timbers pretty well.

Edit... 100% sure

ScottCC

I have to wonder if the DEC regulates logs like they do firewood for cabin logs.  Can not ship firewood more than 50 miles unless it is "heat treated" to 160 degrees.

ChrisGermany

Find a little local sawmill in your area and ask them if they can put you in touch with any of their log haulers. Might be able to get a good deal that way. Small-time loggers will work with you, if the money's right.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

ScottCC

Here is a new route for logs!  Just got some huge red oak for free from a pipe laying company.  They get paid to take them down and can no longer just burry them or take to dump.  So they need them gone fast.  Just let them know your around and give them your number.

bucksnort

I have built 2 log homes that were 8 inch milled on 2 sides. I am currently starting another build from trees I cut on my property that I will mill my self. My first house was a 30x 40 and I got the logs from a local mill. I did mine post and beam style, with log posts for corners. My second house was a cape cod style that I did the first floor in log and stick framed the 2nd story with log siding that I got from a mill. The logs for the second build came from property that I had cut and taken to a local saw mill.
The stacking went fairly quick with the post and beam method. I did a trussed roof and stick framed the gables with log siding from a mill. You cant tell the siding from the logs. Basically the guys at the mill just milled slabs 8 inches in width and they matched the heights of my logs. all my logs were from red pine, you just have to accommodate to prevent water getting on the logs, by either using deep eves or a high enough foundation.

bucksnort

Reply I am going to my property tonight and I will take pics of the 2 builds as well as what I am doing now with the 3rd build. Is this forum format easy to load pics from my phone?

bucksnort

Unfortunately I can't load pics from my phone

bucksnort

This is a pic of my last build. Logs came from my property sent to local sawmill, milled 8 inch 2 sided

bucksnort

Thank You Sponsors!