iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 240A your opinions

Started by prezes232, January 17, 2017, 06:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prezes232

Hi I am just thinking to buy timberjack 240A with 6 cylinder deutz this one on the pictures
any good or bad information's about skidder welcome  ;)

David-L

Looks straight, Check the motor for any knocks, look the cylinder jugs on the motor over and see if there any oil around the base of them or up top. Mostly the rear jugs get the warmest and the gaskets get compromised. Make sure the owner blew out the fins on those jugs once and awhile. these tend to be good starters in the cold and they do smoke a bit till warmed up. The machine itself has cradle pins and center pins to check and run the winch. looks like alot of machine to work with and that six cylinder motor does pull well. It has big planetaries and just a thorough look at everything. If you were in the north east close enough I would help you as I had a 225A with a Duetz and liked it alot.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

David-L

The 18.4x34 rubber looks to be good also, get it rolling and it keeps rolling.

bushmechanic

If that is a Gearmatic winch on it then that's the only downfall I would say is with that machine.

David-L

Well, I think the gearmatics need not to sit and you will have better luck with them. If they sit long periods forget it. cover that puppy up with rubber roofing always.

prezes232

ok thanks for information's  I have no experience with timberjack skidders so I take proper look on engine and germatic
only what I can see from French brochure 240 have 4 speed transmission with 2 speed transfer case
So 8 speed forward 8 reverse .that's means to me good skidder for hill claiming please correct me if I am wrong  ;)

danbuendgen

That looks like a good machine. What's the price? Some guys hate the Gearmatic winch, but I have had good luck with mine. And they have a ton of power. I would buy that machine in a heart beat.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Wudman

I had a contractor with one back in the late 80's working the swamps of southeastern North Carolina.  He was running on 44 inch rubber.  He referred to it as his "Jesus Machine" because it would walk on water.  They were a very common tractor in that area.  They pulled well and were pretty durable.  Good machine.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Puffergas

I have a 225 and love it..! Your machine looks in better shape.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

coxy

Quote from: prezes232 on January 18, 2017, 01:04:10 AM
ok thanks for information's  I have no experience with timberjack skidders so I take proper look on engine and germatic
only what I can see from French brochure 240 have 4 speed transmission with 2 speed transfer case
So 8 speed forward 8 reverse .that's means to me good skidder for hill claiming please correct me if I am wrong  ;)

you only have 4 speeds forward and 4 speeds reverse  with hi range and lo range

prezes232

Thanks everyone for your replays
It's for for 20.000 euros if I get it I will do adler  dual winch conversion
I was also thinking about kockum 822D 6 cylinder Ford engine and 5 speed box but my heart is closer to timberjack . 8)

j

coxy

just for kicks and giggles how much does a double winch run in dollars  :)

snowstorm

euro is worth $.94. last spring when we went to italy it was $1.15

lopet

Coxy, you might be laughing, those dual drum winches come in real handy when you're gathering a lot of small stuff. You can winch in from two different directions without moving your skidder. With the remote control you can run each winch individual and  also rev up your engine.
As for a comparison you may also need to know that in Europe they hardly ever do clear cuts, other than for building hi ways or new sudivisions.
No idea how much money they are, mine came with the skidder and I am loving it.
Still have the Can car 20 on my C5, but it will go for free to a good home.  ;D  Any takers ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

prezes232

for example dual winches Adler and Igland are from 2x8 to 2x16 tons
new winches are expensive but you can get very good second hand from 2000$.
To run remote controlled winching system you can get kit for around 500$ and fit your self ;)
They works very well with lowering arch/butt plate :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OllUR3j3c

OntarioAl

prezes232
Are you in Europe or North America?
Location dictates parts and service availability.
That being said I do like the 240
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

prezes232

Yes I am from Poland  ;)
very popular skidders in my place are tree farmer c5d, kockums 822D, lkt 81 and 80, but thery is few guys having timberjack and they are loving them. They doing a lot of oak and beech logging and TJ never let them down ;)
I am just wondering what kind of axels and transmissions  in 240A? are they good strong?

coxy

it depends on the 240 but the 2 240s my buddy and his kid  have  has never broke an axle or put  planitarys in them   had trouble one time with a ring&pinion but that was 5years ago and they pull a lot of wood a year they are contract cutters so 40k+a week is normal for them and there not easy on them 

prezes232

timberjack 240A has Rockwell or eaton axels? I heard that etons axels are better option. how to see difference on them are they stamp some where? 

David-L

That Planetary set up on that machine you are looking at are Eatons and are a very strong axle-planetary set up. put the drain plugs in the 12 o'clock position and unscrew them and look for any metal debris. there should be no large chunks on the magnets. Grey micro fine on the magnet is most likely normal wear. I have the same planetartys on my 240B Timberjack and had them on one other 230A machine. You can drive the machine 2 tires on a 12" dia log and so at an angle and pull the covers once a year to check the sun and planetary gears to make sure there is no chipping of the chrome without loosing alot of oil. This machine looks very straight to me, just by looking at the blade if it was a good runner that machine would bring up to 30k to the right person here in the US. They are getting hard to find these days, especially with a six cylinder Duetz motor which is more common in Europe.

David-L

Just looked in my manual, I believe but am not positive that they might be a WR3 set up, as they advanced in years there were also WR5 and WR7 which I believe to be on my 240B. Good luck, you should by it, the ease of getting on and off is like no other and the stability in mountainous ares will be invaluable. there are some Timberjack mechanixs on here that will no better than I, good luck.

prezes232

thanks David-L for good explain about Timberjack axels . Your machines looks very good on the pictures   ;) I hope I get my TJ 240A soon 8) I am just wondering what kind of transmissions were fitted to 240A are they strong and good? ???

62oliver

Where do you look on your axles to see which ones you have? I have Eatons in my 240E, but I guess there are different types in these machines?
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

OntarioAl

Look at the hub casing mine are the first series and compared to Rockwells are darn near bullet proof
The casings changed with the newer series of axles.
You can see the style in the photo
Al Raman

62oliver

Mine are like the ones in the pic too, but what is this WR3, WR5 and WR7 thing?
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Thank You Sponsors!