iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

capstan style skid winch line

Started by gasman1075, January 17, 2017, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman1075

I recently purchased a hydraulic skid winch from Norwood for my JD tractor and I am not thrilled with the fraying / wear on the line after only 3-4 cords pulled. Any suggestions ? I have reached out to Norwood and am waiting to hear back for a replacement line. I believe there was another thread regarding skidding with rope vs steel cable burt I will be danged if I can find it. I thank you in advance for any guidance.

Jack
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

Neilo

Don P

On the upper left corner of the page under your name is "home" "help" "search". I hit that search and typed in amsteel and got several hits on old threads. Synthetic line is sure nice feeling but I think too tender for my world.

gasman1075

Thanks much I ordered another line from Westech yesterday with a scuff guard. It is a very nice winch and safer for me than my cable winch but it takes some getting used to for sure.

Jack

Subururban600

Hey Jack, I'm thinking about getting one of these for small acreage.  Do you recommend?  Did the new line perform better? Thanks,
Jim
Jim

gasman1075

I was very happy with it but I skid small scale. As long as you have the hydraulics ( open center ) it worked well. The ropes are a wear item for sure but I look at them also as a safety unlike when I used a metal cable winch on my 790. If you are anywhere near 12168 I am looking to sell the whole tractor / thumb / winch etc due to an auto accident I wont be in the woods for a while. 

Runningalucas

Pulling wire in the electrical construction field, we only ever used poly rope; which I believe is what Norwood is using.  When we pulled wire, and used a larger polypropylene rope, it was always say 4" EMT, and pulling large, say 500kcmil copper. 

The rope from new, even using soap in the conduit, would fray fast; most of the rope we used looked almost like those little fuzzy pipe cleaners. 

If poly rope will fray in an super controlled, and slick environment, well I guess you're the experience of what it does when not in a controlled environment. 

It's good stuff, don't get me wrong.  I've also been eyeing the Norwood set up, but am weighing out the rope situation. 

The capstan does give absolute control, which for safety is smart.  The poly we used could stretch, and break violently though.  Then again, the weight saving for bad backs carrying a rope out to a long, rather than a cable, or chain is priceless. 
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

mike_belben

You dont want "winch rope" like amsteel and such.. Yeah theyre crazy strong for their size and splice super easy but they pluck apart too fast. Sticks and bits will get embedded in them and so forth. 

What you want is a double braid bull rope.  Theyre made for rigging tree tops through bark covered crotches and around portawrap friction rigs.  Thick, nearly indestructible jacket braid around the core is key to surviving as a ground winch line.  I think thicker than 5/8 is just throwing money away.  Personally id buy the cheapest 50 to 75 foot hank of closeout or discount double braid and see if a capstan winch is even any good for logging.  Remember, you havent got a spool to take up the slack so if you buy a 200 foot rope youre just dragging around a huge tail and untying free end knots.  Its pretty rare that i cant get within 50ft of the log.  

Weld a peg to your canopy or whatever to hold a bucket near the capstan.  This is where you toss the free end.  Use a cheap spring clamp to chomp it to the bucket rim so it doesnt snag and feed out as youre skidding.  

Tree Rigging Bull Ropes (Double Braid) | Arborist Rope | Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's
Praise The Lord

gasman1075

My first line came from Norwood but after that Westech ( I hope they are sponsors) for me the 6-12 cord per year the Norwood works well. Its not well known here but I am happy with it. 

Thank You Sponsors!