iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1984 230A brakes

Started by shawn55, January 16, 2017, 06:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn55

Has anybody replaced the brakes in the transfer and I have never had one apart so have no idea what needs to be taken off to get to them. Does anybody have the brake down pic from the service manual. Or if someone has some good advise that would be great to.

bushmechanic

Does it have the Eaton transfer case or the New Process? I have done a lot of the Eaton ones on 230D forwarders and the 230A forwarders. I have a parts book somewhere I'll see if I can get you something. If you ever had International farm tractor brakes apart they are just like those two brake discs and in the middle there is a center section that expands on balls and ramps when applied.

ehp

my 230A is newer so may not be the same but I'm thinking it should be , on mine I pulled the transfer case out of the machine when I did my brakes . You have brakes on each end of the transfer case but there pretty easy to do, some guys donot pull the transfer case and just remove the yoke and outter case and do the brakes in the machine , I never seen them do it but they say they do, on my machine it would be real tight getting the brakes out and back in the transfer case as not much room

shawn55

I had a guy ask me if its a single or dual. Not sure what he really meant. Im thinking foot brake and hand brake. as they both go th the same spot on transfer case. so would that make it a dual brake?

ehp

mine has brakes in the front and back of the transfer case

62oliver

send me your email in a pm, it won't let me copy the page from my parts manual on here. hh
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

OntarioAl

It is a drum brake on the back side of the transfer case. The parking brake is a band  that is applied to the outside of the drum. They used to use micro locks but too many people forgot to release and had serious heat related issues.
Post if you do not get a parts manual picture and I will scan one for you
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

62oliver

Al, I was going to send him a pic out of the parts manual for my (early 80's?) 240E, it is the disc/ball bearing affair, just on the front end of the transfer case, that doesn't sound like it would help him by what you say.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

OntarioAl

62oliver
Your  right it will just confuse him.
I will scan it and save as a jpeg and put it in my gallery
later today
Cheers
Al 
Al Raman

OntarioAl

Ok here you go
taken with cell Drat upside down
Cheers
Al

Al Raman

Neilo

I'm with BM and ehp. It should be an Eaton case, not the new process in the scans above.

David-L

I have done three sets of these in A series Timberjacks. Do yourself a favor and take the transfer out and do it on a bench. Always replace those inner bottom seals even if they aren't leaking cause they will eventually. Also the rubber actuator boots cause water and crud to fowl the discs and they will freeze the machine solid in winter. Parts are available.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

bushmechanic

Here's the front brake as it has the hand brake lever.

OntarioAl

Me bad when he said the brake and the emergency went to the same place I assumed it was a new process like mine.
I since looked closely at his avatar and if that his machine my pictures are not for him
Sorry
Al
Al Raman

Thank You Sponsors!