8 point turned 4 point

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 15, 2017, 02:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I took this 8 point buck saturday. Maryland bow season runs until the end of January.

Nice 25 yard shot, he went about 50 yards and went down. Very exciting hunt. Before I took him he was bullying around a 6 point. One of the great things about bow hunting is that you have to wait so long to get just the right shot that you are alot closer and with the deer longer than with a gun.

While I was dragging him up to the barn his horn popped off!!!

I never had that happen before but then Maryland has never had buck archery season run this long.
I like to make European mounts so I'll skin out the skull prepare it for the mount and try gluing the horn back on.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

pine

Nice animal to harvest.  Make some good roasts and steaks.

I always find it intriguing how the different parts of the country count differently as to how many points an animal has on a rack.
Never really understood the rational for the different system.

Weekend_Sawyer

We have always counted all the points that are 1" or more.

When you only count the points on one side and you have a 7 point, which side do you count?

Jon

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 16, 2017, 07:43:42 AM

When you only count the points on one side and you have a 7 point, which side do you count?

Jon

The old timers where I grew up always called it a point if you could hang a wedding ring on it. They taught us in college when I was studying to be a wildlife biologist the game departments required 1" to count.

I never heard an answer on the odd number of points when using the western/one side technique.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 16, 2017, 10:01:32 AM

The old timers where I grew up always called it a point if you could hang a wedding ring on it. They taught us in college when I was studying to be a wildlife biologist the game departments required 1" to count.

I never heard an answer on the odd number of points when using the western/one side technique.

That's exactly what the old guys in our hunting camp used to say, "If you can hang a ring on it you can count it".

coxy

same here but the state says 1in to be legal  ::)

Weekend_Sawyer

I started working on an European mount for this buck.

I boil the skull for hours with dawn dish washing liquid periodically pulling it out and scraping the skin, cartilage and stuff off of and out of it.

Good thing Diane is away for a few days, it doesn't smell to good.

thecfarm

Probably don't taste too good either.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

for a European mount I clean off the skull as much as possible, boil it, scrape some more, then put it in a bucket with water and the septic tank charger material. clean as a whistle.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

gspren

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 16, 2017, 07:43:42 AM

Jon

I believe they call it a 3X4. Last year I shot a eastern 4 point that was 3X1. Tasted fine!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

DelawhereJoe

Delaware bow season Sept 1 - Jan 31....
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Czech_Made

For Euro mount I use Hydrogen Peroxide as the last step to whiten the skull.

You are right, it smells, I am not allowed to boil heads in the kitchen :)

petefrom bearswamp

I do believe that he western guys would call a 7 pt a 3x4 or 2x5 or whatever each side counted.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sandhills

That's what we do here Pete.  My first and only attempt at a European mount went well enough, it was an old longhorn cow with an, uhm, unique shall we say, sort of rack, I used the ant hill method last summer.  They got her cleaned up good, but not real shiny though   :D :D.  I'm still looking for the right cookie to mount it too.

Magicman

Old school Western count it is a 4 point.  They count the side with the most points. 

Our Eastern influence has sorta changed it to a 4X3.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LittleJohn

I feel the Eastern influence is the easiest to understand, you know what was on each side and can interpret til you are BLUE in the FACE

...Also pictures are very helpful  ;)

Either way it still looks like GOOD EATING