iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow snow

Started by Treehack, January 14, 2017, 10:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehack

Trying to give new meaning to the term...

TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

newoodguy78

What were you milling up? The only thing I've seen with that color sawdust is locust? Either way you're doing a good job of turning things yellow  ;)

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

jmouton

just thinking the same thing percy,,,,,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Treehack

Quote from: newoodguy78 on January 14, 2017, 11:21:53 PM
What were you milling up? The only thing I've seen with that color sawdust is locust? Either way you're doing a good job of turning things yellow  ;)

Hedge

DPatton

That's a fairly new looking mill Treehack. How did it like cutting that hedge? I've been longing to run some thru my machine but just haven't taken the time yet.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Treehack

Just got the mill a couple of weeks ago.  I get about 2-3 logs before having to change blades, except the one I destroyed... Thought I was raised up enough on return pass, but clipped the end of the log and pulled the blade off.  Broke off 4 teeth.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Percy on January 14, 2017, 11:22:30 PM
Dont eat it....  >:(

No plagiarism allowed on the forum. That's a quote from Frank Zappa. ;D ;D
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DPatton

Oh I hate the loud bang when that happens....LOL. Sounds like the learning curve has started! That's a nice looking 1220 and congratulations on the new mill. I'm a TK owner as well.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

YellowHammer

Only one tree I know of spits out that color of sawdust.  Congratulations on the logs and the mill. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kbeitz

Smoke wood is also very yellow...   Cotinus coggygria

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

muggs

What is smokewood? That looks like Osage Orange to me.  Muggs

Kbeitz

Quote from: muggs on January 15, 2017, 09:29:19 AM
What is smokewood? That looks like Osage Orange to me.  Muggs

Cotinus coggygria
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brad_bb

Both Osage orange(aka Hedge, aka Bodark) and Mulberry will spit yellow sawdust.  What a way to start milling- with the hardest one out there.  Did you get any wavy cuts?  It can happen with Osage.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

opticsguy

Alder will turn yellow after exposure to the elements and the sawdust, left untouched will do the same.
Happy to see someone else with a TK 1220, was starting to think I was along out here.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Treehack

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 15, 2017, 11:19:47 AM
Both Osage orange(aka Hedge, aka Bodark) and Mulberry will spit yellow sawdust.  What a way to start milling- with the hardest one out there.  Did you get any wavy cuts?  It can happen with Osage.

All the cuts turned out good, but can certainly tell when the blade gets dull, especially with the hand crank.  I'm cutting 1/2 inch fence pickets so lots of cuts per log.

TKehl

Just be sure to leave room for a small stone or pebble for the top.  When the stone wears out, you will know it's time to replace the fence.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

ChugiakTinkerer

I like those loading ramps you have.  I wonder if TimberKing sells those separately.  Would be better than using my leg as a log rest while repositioning the cant hook.
Woodland Mills HM130

bill m

Yellowwood tree is also yellow. I did some pruning on one some years ago at the Norman Rockwell Museum. I thought it was Beech at first until I cut a few limbs off.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Treehack

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on January 15, 2017, 03:10:18 PM
I like those loading ramps you have.  I wonder if TimberKing sells those separately.  Would be better than using my leg as a log rest while repositioning the cant hook.

They do, but I bet freight to AK would be a killer.  I'm sure up there you have some logs big enough to need both legs.

Treehack

Been wet here for a week now, so not much sawing going on, so moved into construction mode a little.  Got a prototype fence panel for the garden built.

2 foot pickets on bottom for little critters, deer netting on top for big critters.  Only 39 more to go...

kelLOGg

Nice attractive panels!

We trapped more snakes in deer netting than we repelled deer, but then we put the netting close to the ground. Keeping it up higher would have avoided that. Nice design.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Treehack

Making progress.

got 10 panels built, hauled to property, and put up.  Found out that this many assembled panels were pretty awkward hauling on my little 4x8 utility trailer.  I decided that it would be best to finish cutting everything and then haul up the pieces to assemble on sight.

Have the remaining 60 uprights and 90 cross members cut, predrilled, and ready to assemble along with 305 pickets.  Only have 115 more pickets to cut and everything will be ready. 

Treehack

Finished stack ready to load up.

Had my little 4x8 just about maxed, but made the hour and a half trip.

One batch assembled and ready to install

All done except the gate.

Had a small walnut log I wanted to bring back with me, but ran out of time and it was too dark.

Brad_bb

Wow that's a lot of osage boards to cut!  Good job!  That is the same trailer my off bearer has.  We fill it with slab firewood while milling and when full he takes it home to unload.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Treehack

Thanks Brad, definitely feeling it in my back this morning.  Next big project up there is hopefully going to be a timber frame cabin.  Just starting to put together some ideas, but will start a thread when I'm ready to start milling.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 15, 2017, 06:15:06 AM
Quote from: Percy on January 14, 2017, 11:22:30 PM
Dont eat it....  >:(

No plagiarism allowed on the forum. That's a quote from Frank Zappa. ;D ;D
Bob

And don't let anyone named Nanook rub it in your eyes.....it will blind you.......temporarily.

Thank You Sponsors!