iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member Intro

Started by FloridaMike, January 14, 2017, 06:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaMike

Hello from West Central Florida,

I started my saw-milling experience in 1980 right out of High School.  I went to work at a lumber yard, that soon decided to get into the sawmill business.  Which led to the purchase of a very tired Frick 00 52" circle mill. I ended up rebuilding the track frame and head saw frame (Pine 4" x 10"s & 4" x 12"s), forming and pouring the concrete bases and setting the whole thing up, with a 100 hp JD diesel (4" flat belt drive).

After doing some OJT at some local mills, I was sawyering at the ripe old age of 20.  Sawed a few 100K BF of mostly cypress and SYP, with a little red ceder, oak and hickory mixed in.  Ran the mill until they sold out a 3 years later.  The land had become worth a lot more than the sawmill.  Left with all 10 fingers!

Fast forward 33 years later, I recently retired from the Fire Department after 32 years (paid) plus 4 as a volunteer while I was sawing.  I feel the call of sawdust, so I'm building a bandsaw mill. 

I will do a build thread (with pics), but the stats are going to be: 21 hp Honda powered, all steel, 1.5" blade, 24" tire mill with a 42" throat span, 16 hp hydraulic feed, chain turner and dogs with 12v head height adjustment and 28' of track.  I just finished the cutting head sliding frame, getting ready to start the track frame and rolling head frame.   

Mike Nickerson
Floral City Florida
Mike

paul case

Welcome to the forum, Mike

I hope to see pictures of your progress.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mike!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

breederman

Welcome mike . My father and brother live in Floral  City !
Together we got this !

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum.  I look forward to the photos of the mill build.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

I have a 20hp honda on my mill. 28 feet of track? Are you moving the head or the log?
Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Welcome will be nice to follow the build
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

york

Welcome-sounds like you have plans for a good mill,but why use tires??
Albert

slider

Welcome Mike looking forward to your build.al
al glenn

FloridaMike

Thanks for the warm welcome!  Re: Questions - saw head will be moving and tires was just a personal choice.

Mike
Mike

Ox

Welcome to the FF and I look forward to your future posts as do many others!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ljohnsaw

Welcome!

popcorn_smiley smiley_thumbsup

Will this be your sawmill build thread or will you start another one?  Inquiring minds want to know (old saying?)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

TKehl

Welcome.

Where are the pictures?   :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

bucknwfl

If it was easy everybody would be doing it

dgdrls

Welcome FlaMike.

great folks and lots of help to be had,

D

FloridaMike

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 15, 2017, 12:14:04 PM
Will this be your sawmill build thread or will you start another one?  Inquiring minds want to know (old saying?)

No Sir, I will start a new thread.
Mike

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Raider Bill

Welcome to the FF. I ride up your way every so often. Used to stop in Sleepy Hollow for the $6.95 steak dinner on the weekends.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

FloridaMike

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 16, 2017, 09:02:25 AM
Welcome to the FF. I ride up your way every so often. Used to stop in Sleepy Hollow for the $6.95 steak dinner on the weekends.

They reopened, with new owners and higher prices.
Mike

Raider Bill

Quote from: FloridaMike on January 16, 2017, 09:54:17 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on January 16, 2017, 09:02:25 AM

They reopened, with new owners and higher prices.

And a loose gravel parking lot too I heard.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

bkaimwood

Welcome, Mike! 42" throat? Do you mean 42" between the guides, capable of cutting 42" wide boards?
bk

FloridaMike

Quote from: bkaimwood on January 16, 2017, 06:21:50 PM
Welcome, Mike! 42" throat? Do you mean 42" between the guides, capable of cutting 42" wide boards?

No, I thought about that after posting.  It's 42" between the uprights, which will make it approximately 36" between the guides.
Mike

bkaimwood

Thanks for clarifying...still going to be a feat though, on rubber tires. Widest I ever made on rubber tires was 32-33"...
bk

FloridaMike

Quote from: bkaimwood on January 16, 2017, 09:00:00 PM
Thanks for clarifying...still going to be a feat though, on rubber tires. Widest I ever made on rubber tires was 32-33"...

Agreed... I designed with the mind of upgrading wheels and engine hp later, without having to do major frame modifications.  I will be happy with a practical maximum 32" cut width (with tires and 20.8 hp).   

More to follow with the build thread & pics.  I will work on that tomorrow.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and info!
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!