iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of Oak is this?

Started by GaTrapper, January 13, 2017, 11:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

Hey Y'all,

Cut this oak down the other day. It's leaves look similar to white oak during the summer, but the bark and color of the wood is much different. What type of oak do I have here?

bluthum

Disclaimer: You are out of my familiar range and identifying wood species from pics is risky science, but here goes.....
if that were in my area I'd guess it as either black jack or a slow growing southern red oak. Twig inspection will easily differentiate between those. There are other possibilities also.

I'd say the leaves did not closely resemble any white oak in that they had tiny points on the end of the lobes rather than  rounded lobes. Both white oak and red oak are large specie groups but the ends of the leaves separate the two groups easily. Pointy = red, rounded =white.

DelawhereJoe

You said the leaves look kinda like white oak, so I'm going to say something in the post oak side of the white oak family....
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It does look like black jack oak.  Quercus marylandica.  A low grade red oak. 

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/DENDROLOGY/SYLLABUS/factsheet.cfm?ID=168
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodcutter_Mo

That looks like what we call Black Jack oak around here. If you have a few large unsplit rounds, let it sit a month or so and you'll probably notice it checks in rings around the heart wood core. If you hit it just right with a splitting maul, the outer wood splits right off the core on fairly strait grained main trunk pieces. We use it for firewood alot, its dense and heavy and burns very hot, even when it's still somewhat green. It's about my favorite firewood.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

bluthum

I find it makes very good firewood as well. Only drawback is the bark and dead limbs are a little hard on sharp chains.

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: bluthum on March 05, 2017, 10:58:21 AM
I find it makes very good firewood as well. Only drawback is the bark and dead limbs are a little hard on sharp chains.

Yea they will dull a good chain quickly, although my favorite wood to burn it's probably among my least favorite firewoods to cut for they reason. I use the little hard dead limbs for kindling, once they're lit they really take off  :o
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Thank You Sponsors!