iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs of gold?

Started by Ljohnsaw, January 13, 2017, 01:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

A guy posted on CL that he was taking out two BIG cedar trees and anyone could load up rounds for $40/truckload.  So I emailed him saying I was interested in getting full logs so I could make some wall boards for my cabin.  He like that idea, making better use of the wood.  I went out to look and it was indeed some big Deodar Cedar trees, about 24" DBH.  I figure I could get 3 good 10'6" sticks out of each tree before they got too branchy, and he would still have a lot of wood to sell.  He wanted to know what I pay for the logs.  I know, first guy to say looses... 

So I said I'd give him $50 for the 6 sticks since he wouldn't have to waste his time bucking them up for firewood.  He kind of him-hawed and said how about $100 for the two trees.  I said ok.  Then he emails me that he has had tons of emails interested in buying the firewood.  He said he would hold the logs if I'd pay $100/stick ($600).

I said I could buy siding for about that price and I'd pass on the wood.  He came back later at $50/log ($300).  I said thanks but no thanks.  I guess these log must be made of gold?  Part of my decision is I don't really have a place to store them - I'm snowed-out at my cabin until probably June!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

Well, he made a deal for $100 for the two trees.  Then he went back on his word.  So he's not a man of his word.  You did not and should not reward him for this behavior by paying anything other than what was agreed to.  I'm sure no one else was buying and he regretted not taking the original deal.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ToddsPoint

My motto:  "If you get ripped off, don't go back."  No exceptions.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

kelLOGg

Tons of e-mail saying they want firewood from conifers?? :o I seriously doubt that - seller's unethical side kicked in and he tried to stick it to you.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

I agree. Never let them shake you down. I was moving from SC and had excess/leftover firewood I was selling. Made a deal with a guy to deliver a load and when I got there he started telling me he liked it but was going to pay less than agreed. I told my young son to get back in the truck, raised the tail gate and drove off and have it away on the way home. I guess he figured I was already there and did not want to double handle the load (He was right) and would take less (He was wrong). Before I got out of his yard he had agreed to pay full price but I told him he did not have enough money to buy that load. Most valuable load of wood I ever sold.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I dont like it when someone else dont keep their word. It makes me want to be sure I keep mine so other folks dont think the same thing about me.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

YellowHammer

I wouldn't take them if he gave them to me.  They would always have a bad smell. Haggling and negotiating is normal business but once the price is set, its final, win, lose or draw for either party. Definite "Elvis has left the building" moment.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

That story gets all of hackles up!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 13, 2017, 03:29:54 PM
That story gets all of hackles up!
:D
Yep.  I was more expecting someone to say they'd be worth $100 a stick and I'm a fool for passing them up at the bargain price of $50!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

muggs

I once drove 80 mi.to pick up a cargo container on a price that we had agreed upon.
When I got there he upped the price thinking since I drove all that way, I would pay it.Wrong. When a persons shows themselves to be dishonorable, the dealing ends. Muggs >:(

scsmith42

Per the calculator that works out to be around 750 - 800 bd ft of lumber in those 6 logs.  Even at $300 total you would be paying around .40 per bd ft for the log.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawmilllawyer

I would have done what you did even if I really needed the logs. Agree with you and the others would not have rewarded his bad behavior. I don't like it when people do not keep their word.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Brad_bb

So I've been thinking about this a little more, especially considering this was through craigslist.  I've bought and sold quite a bit through CL.  One thing I've learned is that there are a lot of flakey people you meet through there.  What I mean is, there are a lot of people who tell you on the phone they'll definitely take it, make arrangements to come get it or look at it, and never show up, never call etc.  With Logs, you want to go see what the quality is before engaging equipment and burning fuel.  Hence ljohnsaw's initial visit and agreement to a price.  One problem though, he left with just his word.  If I were that seller, I'd wonder if ljohnsaw is really going to show up, and in a timely fashion and complete the deal.

One way to help cement the deal, is to pay a deposit upon inspection.  A deposit would have made it more difficult for the guy to back out.  Pay a deposit, and agree to a pick up time.  That would have helped the situation.  As the seller I would know he's very likely to show up, and if he doesn't, I keep the deposit and repost to sell to someone else.  If the guy tries to back out while holding your deposit, well then he's gonna have a problem.

Note:  You also have to be able to judge at that initial meeting that the guy is not an outright thief or scammer.  You don't want to give a deposit or make a deal with someone your gut tells you definitely can't trust.

redprospector

Quote from: paul case on January 13, 2017, 08:32:18 AM
I dont like it when someone else dont keep their word. It makes me want to be sure I keep mine so other folks dont think the same thing about me.

PC
At the end of the day that's all we've got, ain't it?
We can't take nothing else with us when we leave this old world, but we'll all stand before our maker with our integrity in hand.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Darrel

A long time ago I Had an old ugly 1949 GMC 1 ton truck with a 10' bed on it.  It would hall 2 ½ cords of wood. One day I was delivering a full load of wood to surgeon and he came out of the house wanting me to reduce my price. I told him "No". He said that at the price I was charging I should be driving a new truck. To which I replied that I would buy a new truck if I didn't have to buy shoes and food for my kids. Then what really made me mad was when he told me that he'd cut his own firewood but his hands were too valuable and he didn't want to hurt them. I then told him that my hands were way to valuable to cut wood for him and I got in the old truck and drove off leaving about ¾ of a cord there that I didn't even bother asking him to risk hurting his valuable hands while taking cash from his wallet.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Hard12find

Cedar makes crap firewood except splits nice for kindling, and has been my experience that people don't pay cash for green wood they have to wait to burn, just my two cents, bummer you missed out on the siding.

Brucer

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 13, 2017, 06:25:41 AM
Tons of e-mail saying they want firewood from conifers?? :o I seriously doubt that ...

Why would you doubt it? Most of the firewood sold in my region is conifer.

Quote from: Hard12find on January 14, 2017, 12:41:23 AM
Cedar makes crap firewood except splits nice for kindling,

Well, it's light and doesn't contain much heat per cord. I like it in the early fall and late spring when I want a quick fire in the morning to take the chill out of the house. By the time the sun is up and the day's getting warm, the fire is out and cold.

... has been my experience that people don't pay cash for green wood they have to wait to burn, ...

There's a guy locally who's been selling firewood for years and tells everyone that 20% moisture content is considered dry ::). Sad thing is, some folks believe him. So I'd say that knowledgeable people don't pay cash for green wood, but lots of people aren't that knowledgeable.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

4x4American

Brad no way would I leave a deposit on a CL deal, the people are too flakey!  The fact that he went out and looked at the logs would be enough for me to show he's serious.  If he left a deposit and then the seller wanted to change his mind and they disagreed, who's to say that he would be able to get his deposit back.  I would at most put $2 for a deposit
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Quote from: Darrel on January 14, 2017, 12:22:40 AM
A long time ago I Had an old ugly 1949 GMC 1 ton truck with a 10' bed on it.  It would hall 2 ½ cords of wood. One day I was delivering a full load of wood to surgeon and he came out of the house wanting me to reduce my price. I told him "No". He said that at the price I was charging I should be driving a new truck. To which I replied that I would buy a new truck if I didn't have to buy shoes and food for my kids. Then what really made me mad was when he told me that he'd cut his own firewood but his hands were too valuable and he didn't want to hurt them. I then told him that my hands were way to valuable to cut wood for him and I got in the old truck and drove off leaving about ¾ of a cord there that I didn't even bother asking him to risk hurting his valuable hands while taking cash from his wallet.

It is sad that some people think they are so much more valuable than someone else. Judging by outward appearance is so many times just wrong.
I used to sell my slabs to an outfit that grinds and bags mulch. Only in the summer time. I could haul 6 bundles that often weighed 7 tons and got $10/ton delivered to them ten miles away. I took them over 150 ton each summer. Then after buying from me for a couple years they wanted me to sort off anything that wasnt Oak. They didnt want it. So we did. The first time I took to them after that they left me sitting waiting to get unloaded for over an hour. 3 or 4 times their loader drove back to where I was to see if I was still there. I just left and didnt even drive across the scale on the way out. It only took me an hour to haul 24 bundle to a brush pile and I think I made more money. They didnt need my slabs  that bad anyway.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brad_bb

Quote from: 4x4American on January 14, 2017, 07:17:20 AM
Brad no way would I leave a deposit on a CL deal, the people are too flakey!  The fact that he went out and looked at the logs would be enough for me to show he's serious.  If he left a deposit and then the seller wanted to change his mind and they disagreed, who's to say that he would be able to get his deposit back.  I would at most put $2 for a deposit

As I said, it's a judgement call.  Assuming this is where he lives, If he pulled something shady, he'd have a problem he wouldn't want.  Keeping the deposit wouldn't be worth it to him.

4x4American

True, I hadn't thought of that...and yes it is absolutely a judgement call. 
Boy, back in my day..

Cazzhrdwd

Craigslist is an interesting place, seems like I spend a lot of time weeding through the tire kickers, scammers, and out right dishonest people. Once I settle on one that looks promising, set up delivery and finally deliver, the people are usually great people. I'm not sure why it's such a PITA getting there.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Gearbox

Like Darrel I went to deliver 4 cord of firewood in 8 foot . The guy came out of his house and told me there wasn't 4 cord . So I got back in the truck and he said where are you going . I said I am 20 loads behind I am going to the next on the list . He said what about my wood . I said you are 21 on the list . He took it next time 6 weeks later .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 14, 2017, 10:22:50 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on January 14, 2017, 07:17:20 AM

As I said, it's a judgement call.  Assuming this is where he lives, If he pulled something shady, he'd have a problem he wouldn't want.  Keeping the deposit wouldn't be worth it to him.

Well, he actually didn't live there.  He was hired to grind out the stumps (that is his business).  But, he arranged to have the trees dropped.  So, no real recourse should he sell the wood out from under me after taking my deposit.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!