iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

(slightly delayed) Intro from West Central Missouri

Started by TKehl, January 11, 2017, 05:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

Hi y'all.  I've been a long time reader, short time poster.  Very happy to have such a resource as the FF.  I've learned a lot from the people and conversations here.

I'm a part time sawyer wanna be, part time farmer, and have a more than FT day job, 4H robotics volunteer, husband, and father to four kids.  I've got 150 acres of woodland plus access to another 15 nearby basically for free.  5th generation on the land, 1st with a mill (lots of butcher, farmers, and carpenters up the line).  My mill is a small but mighty Lucas 6-13.  Support equipment is easier as we already had a few tractors, skid steer, and a backhoe (that needs some minor work).  7 chainsaws (almost enough).  Was hoping to build a solar kiln this spring, but the day job workload will probably be pushing it back.  My plan is to sell lumber retail and products made from lumber retail/wholesale/consignment.  I've got a decent woodshop (homemade CNC router, antique Epilog laser that is temperamental, Woodmaster 718, etc.).  Still need a few pieces and a better building (to get sawdust away from the farm shop).  If I could just get time away from the day job occasionally.   :)  The mill and woodshop definitely gets short shrift, unfortunately. 

We live pretty simply and are close to being debt free.  I'm proud of both and looking forward to more of the adventure.

Ted
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Huck

Woodlandmills Hm126

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Texas Ranger

Welcome from a former Missourian, now a Texan, 100%
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

killamplanes

Looks like ur doin pretty good for yourself. Welcome
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Larry

Welcome Ted.  I lived a little ways south of Sedalia on M highway for a few years in the early 80's.  Had a few acres of hills and forest.  Enjoyed living on the edge of the Ozarks.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TKehl

Larry, how far out?  We're 6 miles on M then a bit more than a mile on Lone Star (South from the old missile silo).  The 40 Chevy is still sitting in that field too, but the current owners did flip it right side up a couple years ago.  We know a lot of the people out here.  If we didn't know you, there's a good chance we knew your neighbors. 

Huck, if I'd known you were that close I'd have hollered out the back door instead of posting here.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

yukon cornelius

Welcome! You know I am not far from you also. South of Warsaw. Huck I can't be far from you at all. I am getting a get-together going in Warsaw March 11. There is a post about it in the general board.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Larry

Quote from: TKehl on January 11, 2017, 11:39:16 PM
Larry, how far out?  We're 6 miles on M then a bit more than a mile on Lone Star (South from the old missile silo).  The 40 Chevy is still sitting in that field too, but the current owners did flip it right side up a couple years ago.  We know a lot of the people out here.  If we didn't know you, there's a good chance we knew your neighbors. 

Huck, if I'd known you were that close I'd have hollered out the back door instead of posting here.   ;D

I owned the "A" frame home on McGee road.  Not far from you.  Didn't seem that long ago, but when I do my subtraction, may have been before your were born. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

TKehl

Yukon, thanks for the invite!  I haven't ventured out to the general board yet and probably would have missed it.

Larry, we drove McGee last night coming home from 4H!  Been a bit more built that way since.  Was it on the North side between Backbone and the jog in the road? 

Ga Mtn Man

I'm not sayin' Larry's old, but his first bandsaw was steam powered!  ;D  Thank you, I'm here all week.

Welcome to the forum TKehl
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

yukon cornelius

I re titled the get together thread this morning. It is a good time to meet a bunch of good friends and eat a bunch of food. I am glad to see some members close to me.

Larry

Quote from: TKehl on January 12, 2017, 10:18:23 AM
Larry, we drove McGee last night coming home from 4H!  Been a bit more built that way since.  Was it on the North side between Backbone and the jog in the road?

Sounds like it.  Sits back off the road maybe 100 yards and had a rail fence when I owned it.

TKehl

Yep.  I know the guy that owns now it pretty good.  Borrowed his hydraulic auger for a skid steer to put in piers to underpin our mobile home.

Dad (Roy) was renting land and a building from Mr. Evans a quarter or half east of there and on the South side of the road around that time you'd have been there.  Small world.

Wife and I met a couple at a bed and breakfast in St. Genevieve on our honeymoon.  Turns out one of their kids has a house right near us.  I told them I knew where it was and had put hay up on the same ground.

Huck

Yukon I'm on 83 Hwy,far enough out I have a wheatland phone#i will look for your post.
Woodlandmills Hm126

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Huck on January 12, 2017, 07:30:04 PM
Yukon I'm on 83 Hwy,far enough out I have a wheatland phone#i will look for your post.

We must be pretty close to each other. We are off K hwy a little ways from 83

Huck

Woodlandmills Hm126

TKehl

Treehack

TKehl,
I'm looking at building solar kiln this spring too, we should compare notes.  I also nave that pesky day job that keeps me from daily bliss in the woodlot,
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Darrel

Welcome to the forum Ted, and if you ever get out to Oregon, come and visit.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

TKehl

Treehack, I'd be happy to.  Basing my design around this:

http://timbergreenforestry.com/Solar%20Cycle%20Kilns.html

What part of IL are you in?  We visit my wifes relatives near Springfield once or twice a year.

Darrel,

I appreciate the invite.  Been a lot of places, but haven't made it to Oregon yet.  Someday...

Treehack

Quote from: TKehl on January 15, 2017, 03:05:11 PM
Treehack, I'd be happy to.  Basing my design around this:

http://timbergreenforestry.com/Solar%20Cycle%20Kilns.html

What part of IL are you in?  We visit my wifes relatives near Springfield once or twice a year.

Darrel,

I appreciate the invite.  Been a lot of places, but haven't made it to Oregon yet.  Someday...

I'm a little more than an hour up the road from Springfield in Bloomington
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

TKehl

Been through there a few times.  Will have to look you up next trip.

Thank You Sponsors!