iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimensions 127 "Restore to Glory"

Started by yukon cornelius, January 10, 2017, 09:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

Today I went with "Truman The Miller" to look at this mill he put me onto. it has been sitting for a number of years since the previous owner passed. I met with his wife who was a wonderful lady and headed out behind the shed. It seems a bit rough in places and I think the motor is stuck. Not knowing anymore I was willing to make an offer taking all the risk into account. she quickly said yes and said she would be 

happy to have it gone. I gave her the money and now am planning how get it home. 

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

Darrel

Looks exciting to me. This restoration will be fun to watch!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

hacknchop

If you need help let me know ,I have many yes experience and would love to help.
Often wrong never indoubt

47sawdust

"FearlessYukon"
Good to have a project.Take plenty of pictures before you take it apart.The camera has a better memory than my brain.Good luck to ya.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

goose63

Yukon it's to bad I'm so far away I have a 48 Ft flat bed you could use to get the mill home with ;)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

yukon cornelius

I believe it will fit on my trailer. lift up one end and back under it then use a winch to pull it on the rest of the way. it must wait until after our rain and ice storm we are getting Friday unless I can get my orders filled and my wife lets me out early for good behavior  ;D

bandmiller2

Very good find my friend. I would get a small angle grinder and some cup wire brushes and a lot of time. I'am not a fan of sand blasting as you always drive grit into every crevasse and joint. After brushing use that rust killing coating with phosphoric acid, prime and rustoleum. It will be interesting to compare it to your band mill, let us know. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sealark37

What a fine project!  Please keep us informed on your progress.  Regards, Clark

yukon cornelius

it is home. we took the sides off of my  trailer and winched it up the ramps. it only hangs over the end of the trailer 13 feet  :o 

I got a two manuals with it. It was number #79 built in 1974. more to come...

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Chop Shop

ozarkgem

Your trailer lights work as good as mine. I will have to buzz over and check out the progress.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: ozarkgem on January 29, 2017, 06:50:54 AM
Your trailer lights work as good as mine. I will have to buzz over and check out the progress.
I just noticed they don't seem to be working. I just put new led lights on it yesterday and they were on when I left with the mill.....typical  :D come on over and check it out.

It is 24 feet long. I don't even know where I am going to put this thing.

Today I will remove the spark plugs and get oil in the cylinders to get the motor unstuck. Oh yeah, I also need to get something more than just my hands on the pulley to see if it really is stuck or if I am just too weak to turn it by hand.

DanG

If the belts are on it you should be able to turn the engine easily with the blade.  ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

yukon cornelius

The first plug I pulled had wet rust on it....ouch. The other 3 look fine. I also noticed a cracked hole in the (what I believe to be) governor. It probably wont be running today but not a loss at all.

Kbeitz

You might want to pull the head. Turning the engine
over with a rusted cly. wont be good on the rings.
Some people say dumping water down the rusted hole
will loosen it up. I never wanted to try that one.
I like PB Blaster my self. I have used a grease gun to
move a rusted piston. Wish I was there to help.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

VW engine that can't be turned by hand is stuck.  On the bright side, they are very easy to o work on and back in the day when I was a Volkswagen driver, they were inexpensive too. Hope they still are.
1992 LT40HD

yukon cornelius

I have been looking up parts. 4 new cylinders with pistons,rings and a few other things $140 including shipping. 2 new heads $300 with shipping. If I went all the way through the motor I might have $600 or less. I have a $500 budget. Time to sell more firewood  :D

Darrel

Not a terrible price by today's standards, but quite a bit more than back in the 80's when I could pull an engine in the morning, rebuild it and drive tha car the same afternoon. 
1992 LT40HD

yukon cornelius

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: yukon cornelius on January 28, 2017, 07:42:20 PM
It only hangs over the end of the trailer 13 feet ...

Oh, so it is a portable mill ;) :D

Nice find and will be fun to watch.
Quote from: yukon cornelius on January 29, 2017, 11:42:41 AM
UNSTUCK!!! 8) 8) 8)

Whooot Whoot! 8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

yukon cornelius

I have no compression on 3 cylinders and 90 ish on 1. I popped the valve covers off expecting stuck valves but instead I am thinking maybe lifters??? I can open the valves with a small prybar and the close back. The rocker arms are not rocketing. Maybe the rockers are froze up. Either way it won't run today and needs parts to fix it. Maybe a complete overhaul is in order.

Darrel

My guess is that you can tear it down, clean it up and put it back together and it will run great. Same amount of work as a rebuild but costs way less.  Good luck!
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!