iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home Remedy

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 10, 2017, 07:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My Sciatic nerve in my leg is a whole lot better but still a little tender if I turn wrong but hopefully that will go away. I am careful now about what I pick up and how I pick it up. The worst pain is gone and I can sleep again.

But what I want to talk about is something I heard on the radio the other day.
This Home Remedy has been around for YEARS they say.

They said take a jar of White Raisins, fill it with Gin and set in the Fridge for 2 weeks.
After 2 weeks, every morning take a heaping spoon full of Gin soaked raisins and eat it.

In about 4 or so days, knee joints, back pain, elbows and whatever hurts you should start to go away.

There were some doctors on this show that swore up and down it works.
It has something to do with the berries the Gin is made from mixed with the Raisins.

Y'all ever heard of this? I might try it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

All I've heard is alcohol and joint pain don't mix, another one back years ago was this mushroom juice stuff, laughable,
I have to say, last evening Christy wrenched something lower back moving totes,  bout two in the morning I did it, I asked. Can you sneeze?? She said what? I told her your story bout sneezing and getting back in place somewhat, well nor much humor in that story then or when it happened to you, but I tried, chiropractor got her back in this morning, hope yours works out, last nights game had to help!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bucknwfl

Don't know about all that but I do know that real gin does get its flavor from juniper berries
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: drobertson on January 10, 2017, 08:05:50 PM
......... last nights game had to help!

Clemson cured it all.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pineywoods

Sounds something like my dad's cure for a bad cold/flu. Take a fith of Jack Daniels and go to bed. Might not cure it, but you won't care  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Gearbox

I had a back pain between my shoulder blades for a year or more . Deer season came an we had one down on the edge of a field . After dark we went to load up . I was walking to help when I tripped over a milk crate someone left Hit so hard I bounced . Fixed my back right up . Don't think I will recommend any one else try this .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Brucer

It has never been shown not to work. Maybe that's because none of the pharmaceutical treatments for arthritis are truly effective (but I'm being cynical here).

Medical professionals suggest that unless you're an alcoholic, there is no harm in trying the remedy.

Gin was originally an herbal treatment with a much lower alcohol content. Some of those old remedies actually do have a scientific basis.

White (or "Golden") raisins are treated with sulphur to keep them from turning brown with age. Sulphur is contained in other traditional arthritis remedies (e.g., garlic, Epsom salts, hot spring baths).

Arthritis is an inflammatory joint disease that has many causes and no cures (other than replacing the joint). Pharmaceuticals used to relieve symptoms have varying degrees of success for different people. This suggests that an alternative remedy such as drunken raisins may actually work for some people, while not helping others.

I'd say it's worth trying.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

square1

If one heaping spoonful starts to work in about 4 days, then eating the whole jar at once should have near immediate results! :)  Course the day after might you may suffer some significant side effects ;)

I have been using an inexpensive natural arthritis voodoo non FDA approved cure. I rate the result as pretty good. By no means am I arthritis free but I no longer leave my saw running continuously once started because the pain caused by pull starting.

Look up diatomaceous earth. Don't be scared off by it's claim of being an effective insect killer, although that's true too.

Raider Bill

I know gin, tonic and lime has kept me from getting malaria and scurvy. ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

My 1 1/2 daily gin martinis help for a while.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Farmerjw

My mom and dad have done this for probably 3 or 4 years.  Dad swears by it, mom takes a spoonful so dad will put them back in the fridge.  :D
Premier Bovine Scatologist

21incher

I make a elderberry wine and if you drink a bottle it will cure any aliment for 6 hours. Trouble is everything comes back when you wake up. ;D ;D Elderberries are supposed to boost the immune system also. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Peter Drouin

I say, Give it a try.  smiley_scholar
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doctorb

I, too, say,"give it a try."  It's not gonna cure anything, but if it makes you feel better, and you think your arthritis hurts a tad less, then go with it. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Everything gets better in a week......or worse.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

I used to tell my wife I got hangovers in my knees instead of in my head. Several decades on, she now understands. I've heard the peoples pharmacy folks praising gin and raisins before, can't hurt. Even if it is a placebo, hey fool the dog, that's one more day down. The PT said "maybe one day you'll wake up and realize the pain is gone". I've seen her buy lottery tickets, maybe one day she'll be a millionaire  :D.

There is an entertaining and informative book on the botanical roots of many spirits "The Drunken Botanist" by Amy Stewart

dnalley

Quote from: doctorb on January 13, 2017, 10:12:47 PM
I, too, say,"give it a try."  It's not gonna cure anything, but if it makes you feel better, and you think your arthritis hurts a tad less, then go with it.

Or as Satchel Paige , or somebody, said..."If you don't mind, it don't matter".

coxy

I have to say when I was drinking all the time I felt much better than I have in the last 5 years every thing hurts now :)

Ed_K

I'm with you Coxy, I never hurt and never got sick  ;D . Now I'm falling apart  :( .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!