iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with woodcraft 30-20a part

Started by Biggesawmill, January 10, 2017, 06:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggesawmill

1st off I would like to say thank you for letting me be a part of the forum. My father has a woodcraft 30-20a sawmill and I am trying to find a worm gear (speed reducer) for the hydraulic motor the lift's the bandsaw up and down. This is what happened the short chain got loose and stretched out and it jumped a tooth a couple of times and busted both sides of the gear box I took the gear box completely apart and I can get the bearing's and oil seal's locally (I have been a diesel locomotive mechanic and hay baler mechanic most of my life so rebuilding this gearbox was going to nothing... I thought) it busted both sides of the gear box housing and there is no information on the box. And we have no manuals or parts breakdown either my father bought it used about 10 years ago and there was no information that the owner had. I have looked all over the Internet with no luck. The Shaft on the hydraulic motor is 1in. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated thank you for your time.

Brian_Rhoad

Biggesawmill

Kbeitz

I think the first thing you need to do is try to put it together just
good enough so you and turn it by hand to find the ratio.
Then I don't think it would be to hard to find a box.
We have a good source for that kind of stuff about 30 miles
from here It's called Trates Surplus. 570-742-2101 ask
for Gary. Tell him Kevin sent you. Also get your shaft sizes.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

If its broken you can also count the teeth and get your ratio that way. I would guess its something off the shelf. I doubt  they had a special gear box made.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Biggesawmill

I know that the gear has 42 teeth on it. I will give the them a call tomorrow and the inside of the the bearing  housing has a BH60CL and inside of the plate where the hydraulic motor connects is a 6A056C060 any idea's

Kbeitz

Quote from: ozarkgem on January 10, 2017, 08:20:28 PM
If its broken you can also count the teeth and get your ratio that way. I would guess its something off the shelf. I doubt  they had a special gear box made.

I would not know how to count the teeth on a worm gear...
Could you explain that part for us ? You would need to
know how many teeth moved across per one turn i'm
guessing... ?  So this would be 12 to 1 ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum!  Hope your dad's sawmill is up and running shortly.
Woodland Mills HM130

Biggesawmill

That's good information on how to get your gear ratio thank you

ozarkgem

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 11, 2017, 08:40:50 AM
Quote from: ozarkgem on January 10, 2017, 08:20:28 PM

I would not know how to count the teeth on a worm gear...
Could you explain that part for us ? You would need to
know how many teeth moved across per one turn i'm
guessing... ?  So this would be 12 to 1 ?

[/quote
since its broken you can take the worm gear and manually turn it on the spur gear or figure the threads per inch on the worm and one revolution will travel x distance and the spur gear is x diameter . I don't know if the nomenclature is gone or not that would be easiest. Most likely 30 or 40 to one. If its not set up with presets may not make that much difference which one you choose. 
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Biggesawmill

Update on my dad's sawmill. I was able to go by and get the gear ratio. It took a couple of times to get it right we got it. It is a 40 to 1 got everything measured and I think I will got one located I will find out on Tuesday. Thanks for all the help

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Biggesawmill

OK thank you Kbeitz I got a call into Gary but I haven't gotten a reply yep. Again thanks for the all your help as well as everyone else.

Biggesawmill

I spoke to Gary today and sent him some pictures of the gear box and he told me that it would be thur possibly before he can check to see if he has one. Thanks again for the help

Kbeitz

Quote from: Biggesawmill on January 18, 2017, 01:28:20 AM
I spoke to Gary today and sent him some pictures of the gear box and he told me that it would be thur possibly before he can check to see if he has one. Thanks again for the help

Thur and Fri is the only days that they are open.
If anyone gets a chance to see this place it takes days to look at it all.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Biggesawmill

Spoke with Gary again and he has nothing that will work so I went to surplus warehouse and found a match will update as soon as I get more information thank you

Biggesawmill

Update on the speed reducer gearbox project...... I got one ordered from surplus Center and they showed to have one in Stock but when I went to order it had already sold and is on back ordered but it as is good it should be here in 2 weeks. 

Biggesawmill

I do apologize for not updating sooner we got to the gear box (40:1 speed reducer) mounted. between my full time HVAC/COM. KITCHEN repair , install job and my Dad's 5 day a week oilfield pumper job and ever thing else we have going on. Anyway back to the sawmill he has found a couple of hydraulic leaks here and there and we are trying to get the leaking hose's replaced with new higher pressure one. Just to be safe. As soon as we get it running I will update. Thanks again from my Dad and me

Thank You Sponsors!