TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Video of WM manual toe board and turner??  (Read 1812 times)

Offline kensfarm

• Think!
Re: Video of WM manual toe board and turner??
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2017, 11:57:10 pm »
I used a scissor jack for a while..  but it bit the dust on the heavy logs.. bent out of shape.  It will be interesting to see what you design. 

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2017, 01:26:03 am »
Well then post what you come up with, don't need this dummies advice

The trade off is that I may not be fast.  Just ask the guys that waited for me to CSM that locust log.  All advice welcome.  You never know where the spark for the best idea will come from.  ;D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline 47sawdust

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 01:54:37 am »
 Given your background I'm sure you will come up with the right solution to fit your needs.Personally I like understated elegance in any design.It just means walking around the project many times until the "aha" moment comes.Sometimes it never comes and sometimes I'm guilty of overthinking the DanG thing and kicking myself in the keyster for being such a dope.
 The LT15 frame certainly lends itself to home brew mods. I'm not familiar with linear actuators,but a stand alone electric hyd.powerpack  seems like a good start.MSG sawmills were designed by an aircraft engineer for Boeing.You might find some inspiration there.He used a lot of the L/A technology.I believe I saw an article in a back issue of Sawmill & woodlot about the MSG mill.
 Best of luck
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 03:43:59 am »
I mentioned rotary actuator, but a linear actuator could be used as well.  My first job out of school was designing rotary actuators for aircraft(fly by wire), which eliminated the hydraulics.

Offline Darrel

• Gettin' it done!
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2017, 12:20:35 pm »
I understand elegance and functionality. There have been many ideas posted on this thread that are quite functional, some of them more elegant than others. So you take a bottle jack or a floor jack and attach it to the frame of the LT15 and voila, a hydraulic toe board. But what is it that keeps this very functional toe board from being elegant?

Actuation. The human actuator has to go actuate the toe board costing the operation both time and money. Wood-Mizer has done a good job when it comes to elegance of design. And as discussed earlier in this thread, the manual mills don't hit the mark quite as well as the hydraulic mills.

Aesthetics. There's a reason why Wood-Mizer doesn't put bottle jack toe boards on their mills. They would look like they were right out of Red Green's work shop.

Ease of use. Here in is the lack of elegance in the design of the manual mills.

So anyway, m2ów
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2017, 02:53:51 pm »
So you take a bottle jack or a floor jack and attach it to the frame of the LT15 and voila, a hydraulic toe board. But what is it that keeps this very functional toe board from being elegant?

1. If sitting on the floor or dunnage, it gets in the way of sweeping up the pile of dust and chips under the mill. 2. Bottle jacks in my experience are strong, but slow.  They only move a small amount with each pump.  The pump handle also need to be used from the operator's side.  There may or may not be enough room to get the handle in and use the full stroke.  If not, that would not be elegant. 

I'd rather have a toggle switch mounted on the mill near the front end so I can hold the tape measure with one hand and the toggle with the other to move the log end up and down til I'm satisfied. That would be elegant.

Don't worry, I can take the ribbing guys.  Where I'm from, busting on your friends is a sign of acceptance.

Offline btulloh

• Still a new member, but less new than I was
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2017, 03:28:18 pm »
I'm working on an elegant design too. while that is backed up in r&d and fabrication I'm using this plus a little scissor jack. total of forty bucks and 15 minutes invested. better than wedges, not quite as good as the elegant solution that's coming.  takes about 2 minutes to level a log.

Farmalls, HM126, 8N, woodworking, and lot's of other bad habits.

Offline Darrel

• Gettin' it done!
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2017, 03:33:04 pm »

1. If sitting on the floor or dunnage, it gets in the way of sweeping up the pile of dust and chips under the mill. 2. Bottle jacks in my experience are strong, but slow.  They only move a small amount with each pump.  The pump handle also need to be used from the operator's side.  There may or may not be enough room to get the handle in and use the full stroke.  If not, that would not be elegant. 

I'd rather have a toggle switch mounted on the mill near the front end so I can hold the tape measure with one hand and the toggle with the other to move the log end up and down til I'm satisfied. That would be elegant.

Yup!
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline plowboyswr

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2017, 04:46:19 pm »
You might want to take a closer look at Slingshot's set up on his lt30. 1 winch to run the turner and the toe board would work, you never use them at the same time. Just unhook off of one to use the other you wouldn't forget and leave the toe boards up when turning. Get a winch with a wireless remote then it could be operated from anywhere. Yellowhammer had a winch operated claw turner on his 15, has some pictures in his gallery of it. Pineywoods has some very good plans on the turner in his Homemade Hydraulics thread. Lots of good inspiration from all three of those. 
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2017, 05:18:40 pm »
FF member Larry built these years ago for his old Kasco mill.  They were winch-actuated but look like they could easily be adapted to another form of power.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2017, 05:28:38 pm »
Ga Mtn Man,
That is what a toe board should look like.  Gotta have bearings rated at the proper load. 

What do you think the load on a toe board should be figured at?  What I mean is, what weight of log on the roller should you account for in design? Plus margin of safety?  1500 lb?  so 750 per bearing?

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2017, 05:54:42 pm »
I'm just a picture poster, someone else will have to weigh in on that question.  Know any makanikul injunears?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline 47sawdust

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2017, 07:16:17 pm »
When I had my KascoIIB I made a set of toe rollers like that.They worked great.We turned bushings out of UHMW plastic,inserted into schedule 40 pipe with 3/4'' cold rolled rod through the center.Backwoods engineering did the calculations and we were in business.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • DanGit, Bobby
    • Shameless Commerce Page
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2017, 07:35:39 pm »
I think 3500lbs total capacity per toeboard at min, for my application.  Because my loader is rated fir 5k lbs, and I want at least half of that plus safety factor.  You have a different mill.
I have sawdust in my britches.

Doug, spelt D-U-G

Offline Darrel

• Gettin' it done!
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 08:05:14 pm »
I've had a 5,000 pound black oak log on my mill so I'm saying 4x4 is not too far off in his estimation.  3,500 lbs per end would give the safety factor needed.
1992 LT40HD