TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

National Salvage & Service Corporation

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Log arch length question  (Read 1015 times)

Offline ScottCC

• New ideas welcome
Re: Log arch length question
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 08:35:19 pm »
Two things, mine has a spreader bar that I hook to the log.  The log probably can be longer because my pick point may effectively be off center but still between the ends of the spreader.  Along this line it probably travels loaded in a more stable fashion.  Second, how about a skid plate with "spikes" so that log end may be dragged down a steep hill to slow dangerous travel without mudding up a log.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  Woodmizer mp100, Woodmizer electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Offline Leggman

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 08:49:34 pm »
Mine is about 9 feet long

Offline Gundog

• I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 10:33:19 pm »
I worked as an electrical lineman for years we hauled poles with a dolly near the balance point of the pole with just a little tongue weight, we clamped a pintal hitch to the end of the pole. I am thinking of building something similar for hauling logs on my property.

Mike

Offline gasman1075

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 08:09:37 am »
I worked at Fitchburg Gas and Electric many years ago and if you can find a "pole dinkie" ( thats what we called them ) it would work very well. I was told by the current head lineman that OSHA had a problem with them and they are no longer in use. LP companies that used tank movers ( brindels ) are still around and I see far more of them available. Some are manual crank some are electric / hydraulic. Very heavy but work well
JD 770/Stihl MS310/Stihl MS261 / Timberwolf TW-P5/ Norwood Skid-Winch

Offline square1

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 04:51:31 pm »
I worked as an electrical lineman for years we hauled poles with a dolly near the balance point of the pole with just a little tongue weight, we clamped a pintal hitch to the end of the pole.
That's the theory behind my contraption. I have to work on the log lifting mechanism a bit, there isn't sufficient clearance to use a come-a-long as planned.  Working out how to configure a 2 speed 4 ton hand winch to lift the log, and chain with binder to hold it tight to the underside of the cross peice. Logging tongs on tbe 3 point hitch will serve as the connection to the tractor.  There is 36" of ground clearance and room to hang up to a 28" log between the tires.