iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Army wants biodegradable ammo that contains a seed?

Started by fishpharmer, January 10, 2017, 11:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

At least thats how I read this....

http://www.pcmag.com/news/350917/us-army-asks-for-biodegradable-ammo

Seems like a good idea for training ammo if it doesn't cost too much, I would think the private sector would develop such a thing.   

What do ya'll think?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WV Sawmiller

At the risk of pithing a bunch of people off I honestly think this is a hair-brained idea because I seriously doubt anyone can replicate a biodegradable (I'm thinking mostly organic) round that would approximate the density and weight of an actual combat round. I spent a lot of time on active duty and many years since in some pretty hairy regions of the world and I would never want to train with something that is not as close to, preferably exactly, what I will be using in combat. Maybe I am being short sighted but my experience is combat round = heavy, metallic rounds that cut or puncture to kill or incapacitate the enemy. I don't want to be practicing with nerf rounds.

If they mean using steel that will rust away I am not opposed. If somebody can actually develop a compressed paper round that simulates the weight and ballistics of a 40 mm grenade or arty round then degrade and plant a tree or other wildlife food more power to them.

If it was your money would you spend it on such a project? Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

Sometimes this green feel good stuff gets out of hand.

I have to wonder what kind of plants this cat wants growing all over the range.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!