iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

burl woodworkers

Started by dustyhat, January 09, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

Been playing around with some red oak burl i sawed last winter ,have some i sawed 3x3 x various length blanks and ran them through my jointer to to smooth them up after they dried. Ok they have little fishers and void spots . what can i get to fill these ,i thought about wood glue but did not know if that would work or mess up the color pattern or would some two part epoxy work better or are there something better.

Den-Den

One way to do it is to use 2 part resin in a vacuum chamber.  I have not done it myself but believe a common brand resin is "Alumilite" spelling ??
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

low_48

To fill voids in my turning work, I mix used and dried coffee grounds into epoxy. Alumilite is a casting urethane and has an incredibly short pot life. You would have to build a form around each block and cast the wood inside the resin.

dustyhat

Thanks guys, been you tubing and seeing alot of this stuff know that im interested in it. looks amazing the stuff people can do with wood. wheres the cheapest place to get the resins ,fillers and color pigments.

Savannahdan

I like coffee grounds since they are cheap and readily available. If you use them be sure to dry thoroughly or they'll get moldy.  I usually use superglue (thin) to help fill larger voids.  I've also used toner powder from cartridges that were not on a recycle list.  Nasty getting the stuff out and I also use thing superglue on these.  The different colors can be interesting.  Also, have small containers filled with different wood dust for those jobs where I want same color or contrasting color wood fillers.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Burlkraft

Here in Santa Fe its turquoise or it just doesn't sell. People have bought my turned pieces to have me make something to put some turquoise in.this
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ToddsPoint

Brownell's gunsmith supply co. sells epoxy called AcraGlas gel.  It comes with packs of brown and black dye.  I use it to fill voids in gunstocks.  It's not cheap, but it works well.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Thank You Sponsors!