iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 385 opinions

Started by barbender, January 09, 2017, 06:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I'm looking for opinions on the 385xp, I have seen a lot of comments on the web to just go with the 390, same weight more power. One thing I'm wondering, I've had both a Jred 2165 and 2171, while on paper the 2171 has more HP, what that doesn't tell you is that the 2165 has a way different torque/power curve. It has more low end power, I think, and it was a smoother and easier saw to run, IMO. I'm wondering if there could be differences like the between the 385 and 390. I found a used 385 locally, in good shape, for $500. I've ran one 385 before, but it was woods ported and muffler modded, it obviously ran very well. I'm wondering how they run stock, beyond maybe a muffler mod I don't mess with my saws. I blow them up enough stock ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Spike60

The 385 and 390 are pratically identical, as the 390 replaced the 385 in the model lineup. The only change was a 1mm increase in the cylinder bore. The 390 also has a walbro carb while most 385's will have a tillotson. Those carbs are interchangable of course. They are too much alike to prefer one model over the other, so if that used saw is a good deal then grab it.

You are mostly correct regarding the 2165 and 2171. The 65 doesn't have more low end power, but it does have a broader power curve and you feel the power at lower RPM's. That being said, some guys who do porting say the 385 has better port timing than the 390. But there is no obvious visual difference between the cylinders as there is with the 2165/2171.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

barbender

Thank you, Spike, that is exactly the info I was looking for.

Gearbox

Barbender are you going to build a processer with that big saw . Is that 385 have the same bar stud spacing as the 272 ?
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ladylake

No love here for the power band on my 372. falls off fast.  My 385xp has a way better power band and cuts good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

Gearbox, that may have been in the back of my mind ;) Actually I would use it plenty just regular use, but I thought if I built a shameless copy of the BT6870 it would work great for that too.

Ladylake, the 385 I ran reminded me of my old 2165 as far as the power curve, just that it had more of it. I did put a "big bore" kit on my 2171, which seemed to give it more grunt- I don't think it's in my head ::)

barbender

Oh, Gearbox, I don't know if the stud spacing is the same. My bars from my 2171 Jred fit on the 385 I ran, that's as much as I know. Husky large mount.

SawTroll

Quote from: Spike60 on January 10, 2017, 06:42:33 AM
The 385 and 390 are pratically identical, as the 390 replaced the 385 in the model lineup. The only change was a 1mm increase in the cylinder bore. The 390 also has a walbro carb while most 385's will have a tillotson. Those carbs are interchangable of course. They are too much alike to prefer one model over the other, so if that used saw is a good deal then grab it.

You are mostly correct regarding the 2165 and 2171. The 65 doesn't have more low end power, but it does have a broader power curve and you feel the power at lower RPM's. That being said, some guys who do porting say the 385 has better port timing than the 390. But there is no obvious visual difference between the cylinders as there is with the 2165/2171.

According to my brother (that knows these things), the 385/2186 has the best original porting he has ever seen - the saw mainly needs to be opened up at both ends (carb and muffler), to get substantial gains.
I understand (from other sources) that the 390 top end isn't nearly as well ported stock, but with the same restricted carb and muffler it still makes a little more power stock. That is likely to be turned "upside down" if both are opened substantially at both ends though, unless the 390 porting is "corrected" (an assumption, I can't prove it).

It is somewhat similar to the 71cc vs. 75cc 372 cylinders, where the smaller one is much better ported, and the main limiters (again) are the carb and muffler.

The restricted carbs and mufflers simply aren't up to supporting the better ported cylinders, so the displacement rules - when everything is stock.
Information collector.

DR_Buck

I have a stock 385 and it is a fantastic saw.    I got it used with hardly 10 hours on it.  It was on a Logosol M8 mill.   I sold the mill without the saw for what the entire package cost me.   So the saw ended up being free.   8)   

I only use it with a 24" bar so for a longer one I can't comment.   I do know that I can lean into it in a hardwood log and it does not bog down.   It's all power!.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

barbender

I'm thinking I need to scrounge up my $500 ;)

SawTroll

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 13, 2017, 10:06:39 PM
I have a stock 385 and it is a fantastic saw.    I got it used with hardly 10 hours on it.  It was on a Logosol M8 mill.   I sold the mill without the saw for what the entire package cost me.   So the saw ended up being free.   8)   

I only use it with a 24" bar so for a longer one I can't comment.   I do know that I can lean into it in a hardwood log and it does not bog down.   It's all power!.

It certainl would do much better with a larger carb and a more open muffler though, preferably a larger muffler as well. The muffler really is too small on those saws.

Larger mufflers can be made, but it does of course take some skill.
Information collector.

barbender

Well, I took too long getting around to making the trip (about 100 miles, I just don't have time right now) to where the guy had the 385, and it sold. So, I called the local dealer for prices. 390 (they said they couldn't get the 385) is $1099, Jred 2188 is $999. Any reason not to go with the Jred for $100 less?

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on January 14, 2017, 01:51:39 AM
Quote from: DR_Buck on January 13, 2017, 10:06:39 PM

It certainl would do much better with a larger carb and a more open muffler though, preferably a larger muffler as well. The muffler really is too small on those saws.

Larger mufflers can be made, but it does of course take some skill.
Yes main reason Husqvarna designed the 562XP etc. with the laid back cylinder.
Allowing s larger muffler and retaining bar pad length at the same time.
Wasn't there a 572-592XP in the loop somewhere? :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

celliott

Quote from: barbender on January 24, 2017, 08:01:57 AM
Well, I took too long getting around to making the trip (about 100 miles, I just don't have time right now) to where the guy had the 385, and it sold. So, I called the local dealer for prices. 390 (they said they couldn't get the 385) is $1099, Jred 2188 is $999. Any reason not to go with the Jred for $100 less?

If $100 is worth a bigger air filter and an angled handlebar, then yeah. Wouldn't be to me, but it's really a personal preference. I'd get the 2188
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

joe_indi

The 385 has the better curve especially in big timber.
Co-incidentally, last evening a friend remarked about his surprise on seeing a YouTube video that had the 385 pitched against the Stihl MS661 in which the 385 came out the winner. I am yet to view that video.
Post Script on that YouTube Video:
I viewed that video a few minutes ago, sorry folks, my friend it would seem had his Huskys a bit mixed up!
The one in the video was a 390, and it was ported.
But the performance! Wow (that Husky)
https://youtu.be/-lFFho3WG4c

Spike60

Interesting about the 385 having better numbers than the 390. A well known saw builder told me that as well. I have a beat up 2186 that really rips. Muffler modded, but otherwise stock. With only a 3cc difference between the 385 and 390, the 385 seems like the better top end for a rebuild. And it's cheaper besides.  :)

Sawtroll is correct about the muffler being on the small side. It is essentially the same muffler that is on the 372; uses the same exhaust gasket. The only difference is that the 385 muffler has thicker reinforcement where it bolts to the cylinder. They are otherwise interchangeable.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

barbender

My local dealer says the 385 is no longer available to them, just the 390 is. They can also get me the 2188 Jred.

Thank You Sponsors!