iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Can someone explain why they used to put right handed threads on one side and left on the other?  Not important just always wondered why. Nice little winch though!

gww

sandhill
If your wheel is turning and you are going forward the turn force on the nut will be to tighten instead of losen.
Cheers
gww

sandhills

Thanks, never thought of that.  I've only seen them on bigger trucks and always wondered about it but wouldn't the side with the right handed threads be opposite of that then?

Ox

Right handed threads for the driver side, left handed threads for the passenger side keeps the twisting force always tightening on either side.

I don't think it really matters cause most things aren't that way today.  If it really made a difference it would be different threads on everything made - cars, trucks, trailers, etc.  Everything is standard right threads today I think.  There's always an exception to every rule and people love to bring it up to prove people wrong, so look for that here soon...  ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

Ox
I like righty tighty and lefty losey.  I have spent too much time once or twice figuring out the hard way that the bolt I was working on was a left handed thread. 
Cheers
gww

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Ox on July 21, 2017, 02:25:45 PM
Right handed threads for the driver side, left handed threads for the passenger side keeps the twisting force always tightening on either side.

I don't think it really matters cause most things aren't that way today.  If it really made a difference it would be different threads on everything made - cars, trucks, trailers, etc.  Everything is standard right threads today I think.  There's always an exception to every rule and people love to bring it up to prove people wrong, so look for that here soon...  ;)

If you really think about it, there isn't a twisting force applied to the lug nuts/studs.  If the nut was just on the axle, then yes.  But even on trailer axles, there is a castle nut to keep it from tightening or loosening.  Perhaps this is a relic from long ago (wagon wheels?) or some engineer wrote a really good thesis on it :D  Y'all know that engineers don't live in the real world, I should know, I've got an engineering degree ;D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JJ

JJ

weed wacker hub nuts
also left hand thread.  at least on mine

Kbeitz

But with weed wacker's and flywheels if the shaft stops fast the heavy parts can spin and
take the nut off if not left handed.. This can't happen with a wheel. It does not matter how
fast the wheel stops it can not spin on the hub.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Debarker blade bolt on my LT40 is lefty!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

Well I probably ruined my chance for an engineering degree because I changed all the studs to right handed on my grain trailer once, the passenger side wheels never fell off  :D.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have had a couple of old cars/jeeps with left hand lugs.
The first one was a 46 or 8 CJ2A. I was around 14 and trying to pull the wheels off. I had chiseled off one lug and was starting on another one when my father pointed out that they were left handed.
Hard lessons learned are hard to forget.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Kbeitz

I did good today...

550 to 1 gear box

140 to 1 gear box

1000's of 1/2" lock washers.

Gas tank filter insert.

2kw 220/120v to 24/12v transformer.

Ammo box.

weight leveler.

And a wood stove bottom to fit one of my antique boilers.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loggah

That weight leveler ,is actually for pulling engines, you can adjust it so they come out perfectly level.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Kbeitz

Quote from: loggah on July 31, 2017, 07:25:39 PM
That weight leveler ,is actually for pulling engines, you can adjust it so they come out perfectly level.

Thanks... I was thinking it was for pouring a barrow.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Kbeitz

Stopping at the yard today... Hoping I have something to post...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandhills

Me too, I always enjoy your pictures  :).

grouch

While you're there and if you don't mind, slice off a chunk of that junkyard and mail it to me. We don't have any such resource around here. There are several auto salvage yards, but nothing general.

Thanks.
Find something to do that interests you.

Kbeitz

Jackpot today... First... I helped the boss fix his zeroturn mower so everything shown here today was free.
Whatever comes into this junkyard means nothing to the owner. He only see $$$ as weigh in junk.
He saves out very little for his self. Back of my Jeep was full. This is what happens when you don't go for a while.
It took me around two hours to get it all separated and put away.

I got today...

Nails.
Screws.
Much electrical stuff.
Gear motors.
rotating air connections.
Nits, bolts.
Washers.
Bushings steel.
Bushings brass.
two tractor headlights.
16" ridgid pipe wrench.
3/4" heavy duty eye bolts.
all thread couplers.
Two new steering boxes.
lots of pulleys.

What the thing on the top. It looks like it would fit in a drill and it has bearings in it. It has a square 1/8" hole
in the other end. I checked to see if it was a clutch. It's not. The bottom two things screwed together is
rotating air connections.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Nice finds Kevin, but I just couldn't help myself with the Junkyard Song.   :-X   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grouch

I wonder if that pipe wrench got tossed by accident, mixed in with some miscellaneous.

Those look like bronze bushings, to me. Ever done any metal casting? I've always wanted to but never got the roundtuit to build a furnace.

Wouldn't give 2 cents for the electrical switches and receptacles, but everything else looks handy. What were those heavy eye bolts for?

That ain't a junkyard; it's a salvage depot!
Find something to do that interests you.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on August 15, 2017, 05:23:04 PM
Nice finds Kevin, but I just couldn't help myself with the Junkyard Song.   :-X   :D

Had to laugh... But hey... I got the best hardware stuff around....
Thanks for looking...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!