iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pioneer Cabin tree

Started by Den Socling, January 09, 2017, 09:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I just read that the giant tree with a tunnel through it fell in Norther California yesterday. It was a Giant Sequoia. The article said it shattered when it hit the ground. I always wanted to see it. DanG!

petefrom bearswamp

Saw a pic on the news.
Looked largely intact but seemed to have a lot of bark missing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

We were in an RV and could not drive through it, but we did walk through it.  Yup, sad that it is now gone, but of course cutting and enlarging the hole through it probably contributed to it's falling.   :'(

I bought a nice Redwood burl from their store that now serves as my Elk Antler Plaque. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KirkD

From the picture on the news I saw I don't think it was the one you can drive through that went down.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Magicman

This was a different tree than the one we saw.  The news:

The Pioneer Cabin Tree was in Calaveras Big Trees State Park, 100 miles southeast of Sacramento. Its trunk was hollowed out in the 1880s to compete with similar trees in Yosemite National Park, perhaps 50 miles further to the southeast, as the crow flies.

At first, only hikers passed through the Pioneer Cabin Tree. Then cars, once they were invented, were allowed. But more recently, passage was again limited to pedestrians only.

This says SE of Sacramento.  The tree that we saw was a Redwood which was NW of Sacramento.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KirkD

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Den Socling

How about that? There is more than one drive-through tree. You wouldn't expect any tree to survive all of that chopping. BTW that's a cool picture with thee old Chevy in the tree.

clearcut

There are 3 privately owned coast redwoods along the Avenue of the Giants in NE California that you can still drive through.

All of the tunneled giant sequoias have fallen or are walking only. There is a fallen log in Sequoia- Kings Canyon that has a tunnel that can be driven through. And you can visit Tharp's Log, a cabin built into a fallen giant sequoia.

The redwoods and giant sequoias are worth a visit even if you can't drive through them.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

snowstorm

i have a large framed picture of one in the mariposa grove also says wawona. dated 1902 with a horse and wagon driving through it

clearcut

The Wawona Tunnel tree, fell in 1969 under heavy snow load.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Brucer

Heavy rainfall and a shallow root system brought this one down. The latest rainfall was 6" and the hiking trails around the tree were completely flooded. There was another major rainfall a week or two ago.

These trees are up to 3000 years old. I expect someone will count the rings on this one sooner or later.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

petefrom bearswamp

I remember the Wawona tree from a disney book I had as a kid.
Mickey and Minnie I think were traveling with a small trailer and got stuck in the tunnel.
As memory fades this may be a figment of my active imagination
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Don P

I remember seeing that one laying on its side in '72 I think. I remember reading somewhere years ago that a giant sequoia shatters when it lands leaving little useful.

Bill Gaiche

Brove thru both of these a couple of years ago. They are magnificent trees. bg

Kbeitz

That's one heck of a lot of wood....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ScottCC

23 years ago I camped under those trees and I think I can still smell them.  Wish I was not in such a rush back then, or now for that matter.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Thank You Sponsors!