iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milwaukee 6470-21 10-1/4" Circular Saw question

Started by opticsguy, December 31, 2016, 12:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Just arrived at my doorstep a few hours ago:  Milwaukee 6470-21 10-1/4" Circular Saw

Unwrapped and checked it all out. Am surprised to see the aluminum shoe has a gradual curvature and not flat like all other circular saws.  The curved plate is about 1/8- 1/4" "higher" (Convex) in the center than towards the front and back edges.  Sent an email to Milwaukee for follow-up but it is late Friday and the weekend so do not expect any answer for many days.
So, wandered down to the Home Depot store where I had ordered the saw online.  The Milwaukee is not stocked at the store but they do stock the Skill 10-1/4" Circular Saw. The skill has the same shaped aluminum shoe, curved front to back, exactly the same as the Milwaukee. So, now my guess is the curvature is factory designed but I do not see any advantage in a curved shoe.

So.............any users here of the 10-1/4" Circular Saws and are your shoes as curved as mine?   Thank you!!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Roger Nair

I view an out of flat base as a potential trouble spot with the increased risk of binding and kick back especially when the saw is set at a bevel.  Years ago there were a few shops that made aftermarket bases out of jig plate for 10, 13 and 16 inch Makitas.  Such improvement made the saws safer and far more accurate.  I would insist an a flat base + or - a 1/32.  Seriously, this is risky.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

sumday

I know this reply is a bit late, but I just saw this and checked my Milwaukee. Nice and straight, no curve whatsoever.

Thank You Sponsors!