iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tortion box plainer sled

Started by Joey Grimes, January 08, 2017, 09:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I finally built a tortion box so I could true up twisted or bowed live edge slabs it works great .It is 2# 2 foot x 8 foot pieces of plywood with a 3/4 ×1 1/2 grid 12"x12"in the middle glued an screwed.It is a rigid true box that the slab is then wedged so the feed rollers don't push flat then run through plainer till you have a wide enough face to turn it over and run without the box .I'll post some pics when I build another as this one was a test to see if it would work.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

YellowHammer

I'm definitely interested in seeing pictures.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Larry

I've never used a torsion box, just a plywood sled.  Even the slab with wedges held tight with hot melt.

Eager to learn a new way.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Joey Grimes

I'll have some pics end of week I've recut on the sawmill in the past but this works better to maximize thickness.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Joey Grimes

WDH

That is almost more slab than planer.  How is the kiln running?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

Kiln is doing great It's cranking our the wood now that I'm learning how to operate it.

Thank You Sponsors!