iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found an Extra Part from my Saw

Started by YellowHammer, January 08, 2017, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I was milling some cherry today with my LT-40 and found this little piece of metal laying under the saw head in the sawdust.  I didn't have a chance to look to figure out where it came from, but I figure the rest of this is still attached to something important.  Does anybody recognize where this part came from?  It must be a spare, my saw was running fine.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

Oh that's part of the cherry bucket that grows in all cherry trees.  I've sawed out many of them.  It might have fell out when you flipped the cant.
Boy, back in my day..

scleigh

Looks like part of the brake on the drive wheel

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ljohnsaw

I bet Marty will have the answer!

Whatever it is, looks like the casting has been broken for quite some time and it came from an area where it rubs a lot - like near the belts?  Is there some sort of latch on the exhaust chute?  Maybe the sawdust blowing on it was keeping it so clean on the one side.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like a piece of an automotive type part like an alternator  or disc brake caliper bracket , not a sawmill  part, to me.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

slowmiller

Alternator belt tensioner casting maybe? I had a similar part "show up" while milling and that is where it came from.

WDH

Haven't sawn any cherry that have alternators, yet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dean herring

It looks like it is definitely broke off from something else. Could it be from the clutch?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  If you have a alternator belt tensioner on a 51 Cat or Yanmar? Not sure that is the only place I can think that is cast aluminum? like that.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

YellowHammer

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 10, 2017, 11:30:33 AM
Did you figure it out yet?  ???
Nope, I have taken off pretty much every cover I could, and can't see where it came from.  I have checked the alternator tensioner and it's fine, as well as the other aluminum components as much as possible.  There is packed sawdust in the part as shown in the picture, and eroded corners, so it's seeing material pass over it.  I'll keep investigating, but the mill is running fine, so it's time to get back to work.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Kbeitz

It's part of the landing gear from the 727 that flew over last week...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JIM GORMLEY

Its part of a delfleccio valve. Its obviosly missing the finnigan pin.
I live with fear and danger. On the weekends,I leave her and go wild boar hunting.

Kbeitz

Quote from: JIM GORMLEY on January 12, 2017, 10:59:45 AM
Its part of a delfleccio valve. Its obviosly missing the finnigan pin.
Yea I bet the self sealing stem bolt sheared off...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

I'll find it eventually......when the other half of hits the sawdust.

I think it may be my main throttle sponder. ;D..reminds me of this song by Alan Jackson

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn2IaQ7ECUY
YellowHammerisms:

redprospector

I like Allan Jackson. He's one of the last country singers to actually sing "country".
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!