iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maintanance on a D62 cat

Started by slider, February 24, 2017, 07:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

I have been servicing my cat at 250 hours but lately i have noticed carbon on the inside of the filler cap.Also i noticed the oil getting dirtier sooner than before.This time i pulled the cap and cranked it up.Thats when i heard the thumping
I remembered MartyPearson's thread on head gasket failure.Thanks Marty .The strange part is that this engine did not skip or smoke.

al glenn

MartyParsons

Hello,
    Yes the head gasket failure is a silent killer. No external leaks, no coolant leaks. It will use some engine oil and be hard to start.
Just Bang and you have a paper weight. So if you also have a Cat Perkins engine and have not checked the head gasket  or installed the crank support kit. It will not be if it fails it will be when.  :o

Glad you found it before it was crank damage.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

tacks Y

Marty, Is this the 3 or 4 cly? Or both? Should these heads be checked often or just once?

MartyParsons

Hello ,
51 hp and a 62 hp these are both 4 cylinders and the 62 has the turbo. I have not seen any issues with heads warping or cracking. It would be possible. There are two gaskets. Early original gaskets were paper and the later version or one that has been service would have a brass rivet on the front and rear of the head and it can been seen with out any removal of parts. If you cant find the rivet then it has the old gasket which fails.

There was a 3 cylinder Cat perkins engine  I think they were 34 hp. There is also a 36 hp Cat diesel and I am pretty sure it is a Cat it had internal balance weights and I think there were only a few sold.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

tacks Y

Thanks Marty. I have the 3 cly 34hp. Should I be re torque the head to be safe or are not a problem? Thanks Tom 

Waterford Woodworks

Hey Marty, how do you check your head gasket to know of its bad?
2006 Lt40 Super Cat 51, Allis Chalmers 185
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

slider

Waterford Woodworks I will chime in on this,maybe Marty will add to this later.I found my problem by noticing the carbon buildup inside the rocker cover.I knew something was going on I just could not put my finger on it until I pulled the head and found the problem.If a gasket fails at a water jacket it will show sooner.I am glad I pulled the head when I did otherwise this going to cost me this motor.
al glenn

Waterford Woodworks

I will be checking mine after church tomorrow. Thanks for the info and I will keep checking to see if Marty chimes in also.
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

Waterford Woodworks

Also, While I have the valve cover off should I check the valves for adjustment? What are they supposed to be on a 51 hp Cat? how do I find top dead center and what is pistons are #1, 2, 3, and 4?

4x4American

Good thing you found it Al, coulda been bad.

Waterford, there is a different procedure for each engine.  You have to make sure you're on TDC of the compression stroke.  You can watch the valves to figure it out and if its direct injection stick a screwstick inside the injector hole to rest of top of the piston to watch it.  Have to be careful doing that because the piston can pinch the screwstick and snap it off.  Also have to make sure you are turning the engine the right direction.  Some engines like Cummins will have a TDC-C mark on them on the flywheel by the injection pump.  Idk about your engine.  There may
be a special procedure for yours.  My cummins 6bt you would put it to tdc-c and adjust some of the valves, then turn the engine over 180 degrees and adjust the valve.  I think intake was like .010" and exhaust .020".  And then other people would put it to tdc-c and adjust all the valves to all different specs depending on the cylinders.   Best thing to do is get a manual and follow the instructions.
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

Marty, you have posted some pictures in the past showing failed head gaskets, do you remember what post that was? Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

slider

I think the valve specs on the 3024c engine are 2mm or .oo8 thousandths intake and exhaust.Marty's post gave the procedure for adjusting the valves.Like 4x4 said be careful about putting anything in the injector hole while turning the motor over.I may have to pull the radiator to get to the crank bolt on mine although i may can bump the starter and do the same.
al glenn

slider

Waterford I just looked again and the crank bolt can be reached by pulling the bottom cover.
al glenn

MartyParsons

4x4American

Idk about Cat but for Cummins I have a barring tool and there's a spot by the timing cover that you can open and use the barring tool to turn over the engine.  Snapon sells the tool.  Wouldn't hurt to see if there's anything for cat
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

4x4, I checked my '99 @150,000. Still exactly in spec. That's the first scheduled maintenance other than oil changes, by the way. "Check valve adjustment". Not adjust valves, just check them. :D I borrowed the tool from the dealer, used a 1/2" ratchet, IIRC.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Can't beat Cummins power.   8)

150k miles to the first scheduled maintainence, yup, I believe it.
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

Not really maintenance, just a check. :D

gmmills

Hey Al, did you have the head resurfaced also?  For those of you that experience a head gasket failure on your D62 Cat, I can from experience tell you you need to have the head at least check by a qualified machine shop. On my old previous LT70 mill the head gasket failed and was replaced by Cat under warranty. I was told the head was checked and there was no need to surface it. That gasket lasted 2000 Hrs before it blew again. At that time the cost of the repairs were on me. I did all the work myself. Took the head to a very well respected engine machine shop. The head was surfaced and installed. Had no further issues and I sold the mill at 7200 Hrs. The new owner calls me every so often and to date no issues. That was over 4 yrs ago.

If you are just updating to the new style gasket prior to an actual failure then you may be able to exchange the gasket without any machining of the head and have no issues later on.

Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

slider

Thanks Gmmills the head is going to the machine shop today.I will also check the top of the block.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!