iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch length question

Started by Kwill, January 08, 2017, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

In the process of building a log arch. I was wondering what length those of you who have built one made the main beam front to back? Mostly i will be using the arch for cedar logs.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

Kwill,

How long a log do you want to haul? I'd think you'd need it nearly as long as half the maximum log length or at least enough to pivot and lock into place if you plan to lift and haul the entire log off the ground. Many people make their arch beams extendable for different log lengths.

My log arch is used with my ATV and only picks up one end of the log. I use it on steep terrain and sometimes want one end to drag for better control when coming down a steep slope. When I need both ends up I attach a small dolly on the rear end of the log cinched tight with a ratchet strap sort of like a rear pulp wood truck axle. Smaller 8-10 foot long logs I can pick up in the middle perpendicular to the arch and haul them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I made mine 8' so that I could theoretically haul a 16' log without dragging the end.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kwill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 08, 2017, 08:25:35 PM
Kwill,

How long a log do you want to haul? I'd think you'd need it nearly as long as half the maximum log length or at least enough to pivot and lock into place if you plan to lift and haul the entire log off the ground. Many people make their arch beams extendable for different log lengths.

My log arch is used with my ATV and only picks up one end of the log. I use it on steep terrain and sometimes want one end to drag for better control when coming down a steep slope. When I need both ends up I attach a small dolly on the rear end of the log cinched tight with a ratchet strap sort of like a rear pulp wood truck axle. Smaller 8-10 foot long logs I can pick up in the middle perpendicular to the arch and haul them.
12-15 ft would be max prolly mostly 8-12ft
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

Kwill,

If 15' is your longest log looks to me like you should be able to get by with about a 7' beam then if you load the butt end first you should still have the center of balance close to the end of your arch or at least close enough you can pivot the end next to the arch by hand. Especially with cedar which would not weigh nearly as much as heavy hardwoods or even fresh cut pine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

You can never make them long enough. The longest log I hauled
so far was 56 feet long. The log was dragging on the road.
I don't have a picture of that one but this picture is long enough.
The one that was 56 feet long lifted the back wheels of my jeep
off the road when I hit a bump on the road.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

TKehl

Aww...  One of those experimental front wheel drive Jeeps.   :D

I run into the same picking up a pallet of feed in a truck bed trailer behind a minivan.  The minivan gets a kind of hot rod type rake until I throw a few sacks of feed to the front.  Still pretty light in the back end because I'm lazy like to work smart.   :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Sixacresand

Since a FEL tractor is not in the budget, My next arch will be higher, longer and wider than what I have now which has a 3.5 x 4 ft throat and 8 ft long. I want to be able to straddle trailers, pickup trucks and mill to handle logs and  lumber.  More like a rolling gantry for yard use only.  I have the design, material, tools and parts.  All I lack is the motivation to start another project.  ;D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Kwill

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 09, 2017, 01:14:59 AM

did you pull that down the highway?
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kwill on January 13, 2017, 09:02:52 PM

did you pull that down the highway?

Yes I did.  Don't tell anyone.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Depends on how tight a area you will maneuver it in.  I made mine as short as possible to allow it to maneuver in a tight area. I think the adjustable idea mentioned is a good way to go.   :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WranglerSS

I made mine 10' long so I can carry 20 footers.

Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

WV Sawmiller

You can never make them long enough.

I disagree. You can easily make them too long and too heavy for some applications. I use mine with an ATV on steep terrain. Sometimes when negotiating a steep downhill slope I will get hung up on a tree, rock or stump and have to lower the log, disconnect the arch and move it by hand around the obstacle, reconnect to the ATV then the log downhill of the obstacle and lift again and resume my journey. I could not do this with a heavy rig.

If you are towing on flat land with a heavy prime mover a long arch is desirable. If on steep slopes and undersized towing equipment you will want to keep the weight down as much as possible for your application.
Howard Green

square1

I'm getting ready to put my contraption, er log arch to use. It's a high wheeler with the log being the beam like the olden days. Curious what drawbacks there will be over the more modern design.

Kbeitz

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 16, 2017, 09:54:18 AM
You can never make them long enough.

I disagree. You can easily make them too long and too heavy for some applications. I use mine with an ATV on steep terrain. Sometimes when negotiating a steep downhill slope I will get hung up on a tree, rock or stump and have to lower the log, disconnect the arch and move it by hand around the obstacle, reconnect to the ATV then the log downhill of the obstacle and lift again and resume my journey. I could not do this with a heavy rig.

If you are towing on flat land with a heavy prime mover a long arch is desirable. If on steep slopes and undersized towing equipment you will want to keep the weight down as much as possible for your application.

The area I get most of my log from is very steep.
This is why i put brakes on my log arch...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

I have seen your rig and you constantly amaze and impress me with your ability to create the equipment you do out of the scrap heaps others have abandoned. We just have different equipment and procedures to accomplish our goals.

I just pulled down a 22' Ash upper that ranged from about 12" on the big end to about 8" SED. We have had a lot of rain lately and we are eaten up with slick mud down a 10+ degree slope between a patch of overaged Christmas trees (Norway spruces). I had my dolly on the small end and the log pushed me down the hill and jack-knifed until I slid up against a tree. I had to lower the log, unhook the arch and move it by hand as described above till it was below the tree. Just moved the ATV, hooked up and picked up the log again. Continued and towed the log to the bottom of the hill and bucked it into shorter lengths.

Under these condition brakes on the arch would not have helped as the trail was too steep and too slick and would have held. The extra weight would have made it worse. At least I was able to disconnect and maneuver everything by hand. Also I am using a light weight ATV not a heavier tractor or UTV. The best idea would just have been to wait till better conditions.
Howard Green

KirkD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 16, 2017, 03:41:24 PM
Kbeitz,

I have seen your rig and you constantly amaze and impress me with your ability to create the equipment you do out of the scrap heaps others have abandoned. We just have different equipment and procedures to accomplish our goals.

I just pulled down a 22' Ash upper that ranged from about 12" on the big end to about 8" SED. We have had a lot of rain lately and we are eaten up with slick mud down a 10+ degree slope between a patch of overaged Christmas trees (Norway spruces). I had my dolly on the small end and the log pushed me down the hill and jack-knifed until I slid up against a tree. I had to lower the log, unhook the arch and move it by hand as described above till it was below the tree. Just moved the ATV, hooked up and picked up the log again. Continued and towed the log to the bottom of the hill and bucked it into shorter lengths.

Under these condition brakes on the arch would not have helped as the trail was too steep and too slick and would have held. The extra weight would have made it worse. At least I was able to disconnect and maneuver everything by hand. Also I am using a light weight ATV not a heavier tractor or UTV. The best idea would just have been to wait till better conditions.

Maybe an oversized boat anchor rather than brakes? :D
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: KirkD on January 16, 2017, 04:01:28 PM
Maybe an oversized boat anchor rather than brakes? :D

Maybe what i need is a chute like they use on formula 1 race cars or such?
Howard Green

Kbeitz

Maybe a non skid tractor...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ScottCC

Two things, mine has a spreader bar that I hook to the log.  The log probably can be longer because my pick point may effectively be off center but still between the ends of the spreader.  Along this line it probably travels loaded in a more stable fashion.  Second, how about a skid plate with "spikes" so that log end may be dragged down a steep hill to slow dangerous travel without mudding up a log.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Leggman

Gundog

I worked as an electrical lineman for years we hauled poles with a dolly near the balance point of the pole with just a little tongue weight, we clamped a pintal hitch to the end of the pole. I am thinking of building something similar for hauling logs on my property.

Mike

gasman1075

I worked at Fitchburg Gas and Electric many years ago and if you can find a "pole dinkie" ( thats what we called them ) it would work very well. I was told by the current head lineman that OSHA had a problem with them and they are no longer in use. LP companies that used tank movers ( brindels ) are still around and I see far more of them available. Some are manual crank some are electric / hydraulic. Very heavy but work well
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

square1

Quote from: Gundog on January 17, 2017, 10:33:19 PM
I worked as an electrical lineman for years we hauled poles with a dolly near the balance point of the pole with just a little tongue weight, we clamped a pintal hitch to the end of the pole.
That's the theory behind my contraption. I have to work on the log lifting mechanism a bit, there isn't sufficient clearance to use a come-a-long as planned.  Working out how to configure a 2 speed 4 ton hand winch to lift the log, and chain with binder to hold it tight to the underside of the cross peice. Logging tongs on tbe 3 point hitch will serve as the connection to the tractor.  There is 36" of ground clearance and room to hang up to a 28" log between the tires.

square1

Was able to take the log carrier for a spin this weekend. Moved ~10,500 pounds of logs pretty well.  On the log after the one pictured I placed the arch on backwards. It worked better backwards then than the way I intended it to be used.
Set winch set up

Short hitched for moving around the woodlot

~2100 pounds of walnut

Nearing the top of the hill

thecfarm

square1,I've seen alot of log carriers on here,but I like yours the best. Must be the tires.  :)   Sure does make that tractor look small.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

square1

The tires have an unintended benefit. Being the same width as the tractor and that wide, they float. With a couple thousand pounds hanging between them they smooth out ruts real nice.

Kbeitz

I would always be looking behind me wondering when that big thing
was going to run me over...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!