iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need A Roubo Heavy Bench!!

Started by Andy White, January 07, 2017, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Well here we go again!  I am now planning several new projects using a combination of hand and power tools. My current bench was pushed to the limit during Nancy's display cabinet project, because of need of more work holding ability. So today was material round up day. Had all this heavy SYP left from the drying shed frame job that should be heavy enough for this. Cut the left front leg first, because of all the mortice work for the leg vise screw and the St. Peters cross used to keep the chop and leg parallel. Next was to build the chop using some really nice 6/4 Cherry stock . I laminated a 4/4 on it and milled it to 2-1/4" thick. Really heavy! Drilled and mortised this one too, then assembled chop and leg to check operation. Works really smooth . I could not get the leg stock in the Delta mortice machine without installing the riser block, so out with the 1/2" pig sticker and mallet/ A few hours and a cup of hot chocolate and had all 16 of them done. Tomorrow will be laminating the stretchers for upper and lower bands. Will assemble the base with glue and oak dowels drawbored to the legs. Now a picture or two.

Today Nancy and myself and the shop fourman had a great day in the shop.    More later.           Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

Looks like you're off to a great start  :)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

rasman57

Love watching a guy that clearly knows what he is doing to turn lumber into a workshop gem!  Good stuff.   Keep us posted.

WDH

Andy,

This will be a nice one.  BTW, keep the Foreman warm  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

It warms my heart to see you stirring Andy, even if it is a cup of hot chocolate.   ;D

Your project looks exciting and will be fun to follow.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Looking good Andy. Has the shop foreman had any suggestions on the build? Say a lower shelf with a big ole dog blanket for it. bg

yukon cornelius

All of your work is awesome! I will be following along with this build.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Andy White

For today, I will be cutting tennons and laminating stretchers for the lower level where the shelf for the dog bed will be. These are laminated to stop racking of the legs both ways after drawboring and pegging. Every thing worked out well, and they are all tight and square. After drying I will mark and drill for the dowels in the leg mortices. after this is done, the tennons will be installed, marked with a bradpoint bit, and removed. Then I will move the marks toward the shoulder of the tennon 1/16" to allow the pin to draw the stretcher really tight to the leg. Apply glue, drive peg in, and square up and let dry. Soon, it will be top time! That will be a lot of work and be really heavy.  More later.     Andy

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

21incher

Great build, thanks for sharing. I will be following this one. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Andy White

Started today laying out holes for pegging all the tennons . Drilled all legs, then assembled frame and marked all the tennons for the offset holes for drawing joints tight. Got that done, then shaped the peg ends for installation. I have a very rare and exotic tool for this step, all hand work!! Started the gluing and pegging, keeping everything square as I went. Soon it was too heavy to move, so I squared the diagonals at the top of the legs. This will make for a great fitting top, using a 6/4x4" apron of Cherry for the front band and end cap for the tail vise mount. Will go to an old small lumber yard up the road for some 2x12 SYP for the top laminations. They have 2x12x16' that has been on the rack for several years and should make stable material for the top. I will start this phase next week, after I get this base moved to an out of the way location.  Now pictures.

This thing is over 100 pounds now, and hard to handle, but I'll get it!!!!!       Andy 8) 8) smiley_smash smiley_smash

Darrel

Those "rare and exotic tools" were not so rare and exotic when I was a kid.
Time marches on!  Old saying.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
1992 LT40HD

WDH

Those pegged tenons will last longer than you, Andy.  A lot longer.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

Beautiful work Andy.
The Benchcrafted hardware for the leg vise looks good in the catalogue - and even better on your bench.
Your pooch is going to enjoy his new digs.
Built like a bomb shelter.  8)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Martha White Nelson

Andrew, If your rare and exotic tool breaks or malfunctions, I have one here at the house you can have!!  Hundred year old house has some awesome hundred year old stuff in it!  I think mine came from BOSTON long years ago, that's what it says on it!!!!  LOL
Martha

Andy White

Well now, after my road trip to the small lumber yard, this place is great!! Small, and know their business. The owner told me that if he can't get #1 materials, he don't get anything! Says he aint going to compete with L.... or H... D....  They handle all kinds of lumber and really good looking stuff. I got 6 - 2x12x8 footers for 72.00. Ripped stock to 3-1/2" and started the laminations for the back half of the top. Glued and clamped really well, and this one is really flat! Next was to build the dog hole boards. These are Cherry, one being 1-3/8" thick, and one at 3/8". Will install the 1" bit in the router, and build a jig to cut all the 1" square dog slots in the thick one, then glue the thin one to it to make square dog holes at 4" centers with a 2° forward tilt toward the tail vise. Clamped the front top together and will check it for flat and square tomorrow. Now pictures.

This is the cut out for the tail vise and traveling dog block.

This is the good stuff!!          Andy

Darrel

I'm impressed. I bet the shop boss will be too!
1992 LT40HD

woodworker9

You're gonna love the workbench when you're finished.  I built one about 2 years ago that's 8' long, 24" wide, and has a 5" thick maple top.  I also used Benchcrafted hardware for the leg and wagon vise.  Great stuff (Jameel is a friend of mine).

Nice and heavy is the best way to go for a workbench. Mine weighs over 500 lbs. with the base.  I do a lot of handwork, and it doesn't budge.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Andy White

Spent this morning machining the front apron for the vise track, the sliding deadman, and the vise screw and tusk tennon for the front top section. Cut the dovetail for the end cap and mortice for the tusk. These will be pegged to allow for seasonal moisture changes.  Laid out the 2° sloped dog holes in the dog board. These will be on 4" centers from the rear of the right front leg to the end of the table. Built a guide to clamp on and run the router along the guide to cut these 1" slots. Installed the lower guide for the sliding deadman. The front top section should be all glued up tomorrow, and I can start on the rear top. This thing is really getting heavy now!!                 Andy

Darrel

I definitely see a good DIY work bench in my future! 

Thanks Andy for the inspiration!
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

You have been busy my friend, very very busy.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Getting close now. Cut both tops to length and placed them in position for the loose tennons that will be installed in the tops of the legs. When these are set, the tops will be morticed and dropped down into place. The front apron and rear top will be attached to the legs and stringers with spax screws. The center sections will be left to float until I can tell how much movement it will have. Got the leg vise chop and cross assembly installed. This one works really smooth, and while planing a board, there is no movement in the table!! The tail vise mechanlsm works smooth all the way in and out. I need to build and attach the dog block, and build the center stop/ tool rack . After that, I will get the router sled and final cut the top to absolute flat, and spill some BLO on it and call it done!!!! This was a good project, and will be a great tool      Andy 8) 8) 8)

Darrel

That is looking really good!  Some nice contrast you've got going there Andy. It will look really good with the BLO on it.
1992 LT40HD

MrMoo

Andy,
Very nice bench you will love it.

I am finishing my workshop this winter after that I plan to build a Roubo too. I have lots of hemlock so I will go with that.

Thanks for sharing your journey.
Moo

Andries

Terrific build Andy!
Thanks for the photos and play-by-play descriptions.
Question:
Quote from: woodworker9 on January 16, 2017, 11:36:39 PM
. . . . I also used Benchcrafted hardware for the leg and wagon vise. . .
Is a tail vice the same as a wagon vice? Haven't heard of that before . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!