iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Menards recall over bug

Started by Furby, November 30, 2004, 09:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Anyone know anything about the bug found in an artificial christmas tree from Menards, that prompted the recall?
I can't find any info on the web about it. :-/

Ianab

Closest thing I could find?

Quote11/28/04- A Saginaw County woman is being credited with helping prevent a potentially destructive Chinese beetle from spreading. The live beetles were found in the wooden trunk pieces of her new artificial Christmas trees.

The trees were bought this month at Ace Hardware in Saginaw. Authorities were alerted and Ace is working with the US Department of Agriculture on a limited recall. Inspectors have examined the inventory of trees at Ace's distribution centers and found only 1 other beetle. Ace is asking its stores to send back any unsold trees.

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=2620161
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

Thanks!
That's why I couldn't find it, the newscast said Menards. They also said the bug was first found in the U.S. 10 years ago, but I still don't know what bug it was. :-/
The local news don't even have the story listed on their website.

Ianab

Seems a pretty 'secretive ' recall if you ask me  ::)

a bit more Googling finds...

QuoteOn November 3, 2004, APHIS inspectors detected a quarantine significant pest, Callidiellum villosulum (Cerambycidae), in artificial Christmas trees with wood trunks imported from China.  The infested wood product detected by a homeowner in Saginaw, Michigan, was referred to the Michigan Department of Agriculture and traced back to the store where it was purchased.  Further investigation by APHIS found that heat treatment certificates accompanying the two shipments indicate the treatment conducted did not meet U.S. entry requirements

http://www.pestalert.org/notifications.cfm?region=United%20States

I dont know what a Callidiellum villosulum is... but I guess you dont want it  ::)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

estiers

It is closely related to Asian Longhorned Beetle.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

estiers

:-X Retraction - Sorry I have ALB on the brain.  It is actually realted to the Japanese Cedar Longhorn Beetle.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

rebocardo

Maybe it is me, but, I find this line kind of funny

"found in the wooden trunk pieces of her new artificial Christmas trees".   :D

Furby

Ianab,
That's kinda what I had been thinking when I found out how hard it was to find info on it. ::)

Furby

This was in our Sunday paper this week. Just thought I'd post it.

Click here for link or just read it below. ;D

Artificial trees might harbor real dangers
Sunday, January 09, 2005
By Rebecca Finneran
The Grand Rapids Press

Before you pack away the artificial Christmas tree, take a good look at the trunk.

Believe it or not, your fake tree could be harboring a real threat to our native trees.

Several weeks ago, a Saginaw homeowner detected small brown beetles on her new tree with real wood trunk and artificial limbs. An investigation found the insect had hitched a ride to the United States from China.

Michigan Department of Agriculture Director Dan Wyant encourages anyone who purchased an artificial Christmas tree this year to carefully inspect it. More than 20 retailers nationwide received the decorative items from Polytree Hong Kong Co., a China-based manufacturer. Many of those trees were sold prior to a national recall issued by the USDA.

A little brown bug

Callidiellum villosulum, also known as the brown fir longhorned beetle, is a round-headed, wood-boring insect unknown in the United States.

USDA officials say the pests could cause significant economic and environmental damage. They are able to hitchhike on the trunks of artificial trees made of unprocessed wood.

"This infestation was discovered by a conscientious citizen who noticed bugs in her recently purchased artificial tree," Wyant said. "Consumers and retailers can continue to help assure the containment of this pest by checking their trees before they pack them away, to see if they are covered by the federal recall."

Consumers are urged to return infested Polytree-brand trees to the stores where they were purchased for a refund. They should contact a regional MDA office or local Michigan State University Extension to report any found insects or larvae. If possible, the insects or larvae should be placed in plastic bags and frozen until they can be collected by state or federal inspectors.

Rebecca Finneran is Michigan State University Extension horticulturist, gardening instructor and author. Contact the MSU Master Gardener Lawn and Garden Hotline at 336-3881.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm thinking it would have done a lot more good to have made this info available just a little bit sooner. :-/

SwampDonkey

All my books list NA species only.  :'(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

With their history of shipping us infested wood, wouldn't you think the U.S. would start requiring China to treat their wood with a pesticide? >:(
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Shotgun

Here's a link to a press release on this subject that was put out immediately upon finding this pest that went out state-wide. Sometimes we read only what we want to read. Not certain why MSUE was until Jan. 9 getting "their" info out.

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1572_3628-107098--M_2004_12,00.html

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

saccharum

It is required that they fumigate or kiln-dry wood products to kill hitchhikers, but the enforcement in China is abysmal, I'm afraid.  This sort of thing is disturbingly common.

Thank You Sponsors!