iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ecco mt8200 or husky 372

Started by Jerryok1971, January 07, 2017, 01:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerryok1971

Hello all I am consider buying a saw with 70 to 80cc  and came across the Efco8200 with 80cc's a 20". Bar for $630. The specs says it can take up to a 28"bar. Is this small for a 80cc saw? The best price I could find for a husky 372 xp was $830 and I think it is a71cc saw. Also does anyone have the efco8200 or a husky 372 that can give me some info on either? Thanks Gerard

celliott

372 is a great saw and could run a 28" bar. 372's have been around awhile, there is tons of information on them, proven saw and design, tons of aftermarket and used parts, a fine saw with a strong following.

The Efco is probably just about the opposite. All I can tell you is what I've read on the chainsawr's (sponsor) website, who used to be an efco dealer. Story here https://store.chainsawr.com/blogs/news/7283896-the-chainsawr-is-no-longer-an-efco-dealer-read-why
And a quote
"the MT7200/MT8200 were the worst performing, floppiest, heaviest chainsaws I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.  Of all the MT8200s we sold, there were only 2 that we did not buy back from the customer after repeated servicing under warranty etc."

I doubt you will get very good dealer support if you buy an efco. Not trying to badmouth the brand, just stating facts comparing the two saws. Husky has a large, reputable dealer network worldwide. You will be able to get any part for a 372 you will ever need. You will be able to get it worked on.

If you're looking for comparisons, there's lots of other good 70-80cc options out there. 372xp, Jonsered 2172, Stihl MS461, Dolmar 7910 to name a few.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Jerryok1971

Thanks Chris. I haven't herd a lot about the efco saws so thanks for the info. I 'm doing some more research on what to buy. I have a stihl ms291 and a echo 310 so I would like to get one more bigger saw to cover all sawing needs I have.

Jerryok1971

Wow Chris just read that thread. The chainsaw direct site where I saw the add had a caption under the saw stating it couldn't answer any repair questions one may have. No wonder why. Glad you saved me money and agro.

DelawhereJoe

Don't forget about the echo cs 800p,  80cc "rated" for up to a 36" bar, and looks like it runs $830-$850 ish. I think someone somewhere had it rated around 6hp...but I can't completely remember. Most ppl would take the 372xp over the echo cause its lighter and its a Husqvarna....and the whole clam shell motor thing.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

celliott

Quote from: Jerryok1971 on January 07, 2017, 04:15:37 PM
Thanks Chris. I haven't herd a lot about the efco saws so thanks for the info. I 'm doing some more research on what to buy. I have a stihl ms291 and a echo 310 so I would like to get one more bigger saw to cover all sawing needs I have.

A 70-80cc saw will do everything you want it to, cut larger wood, felling, bucking firewood, run a longer bar on occasion, and you'll still have your smaller lighter saws for everything else.
If you're looking for a  deal, consider the Husqvarna 365xt or Jonsered 2166, they are the same displacement as the 372, just "detuned" a little bit, at a cost savings.

If you want real information on saws, stay away from sites like chainsawdirect, etc. Get onto the forums, guys here run them everyday, work on them all the time, they really use them. Stop into your local dealers, ask questions.
If you give us your location, we can probably find somebody nearby to you to recommend a good dealer.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Jerryok1971

Thanks again Chris I'm located in Calveack NY it's in Columbia county.

celliott

Looks like you're about an hour from member Spike60. He's a Jonsered\Husqvarna dealer. I've dealt with him online ordering parts before, as well as many others, never heard a bad word about him. Pay him a visit and it'll be worth your time for sure.  His business name is ashokan turf and timber.

You likely have other husky dealers nearby, but I'd say this is a case of it being worth the extra drive.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Jerryok1971

Thanks Chris. What's your advice on a rebuilt jonesred cs2172? Saw one on eBay from drivers power equipment in west charleston vt. Not sure if it's by you up there. It 500 bucks free shipping. Either way I'm gonna take a ride to spike60's place later in the week. Hope I'm not bothern you with all the questions. Thanks again Gerard

celliott

Yup, drivers is sorta nearby to me. I've never dealt with them, but haven't heard anything bad either. I'd like to think if they rebuilt it, it was done properly, being a reputable shop and all.
$500 is a little steep for a used saw in my opinion, but that's just me.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ehp

Just drive to Spikes and buy a new saw , you will be far happier with that than buying a used saw that has been blew up

joe_indi

Nearly a decade ago, I had the opportunity to do some serious trials with the Oleomac GS720 and GS820. They were the Oleomac versions of the Effco MT7200 and MT8200.
This was a purely unofficial trial because I was a Stihl retailer and it was done on the request of a friend who worked at the time for the local importer of Oleomac.
The issue (main)was that these saws were not delivering the expected power that was expected.
My first impression of these saws ( newly introduced  models at that time) was  they were true Italian machines. Beautiful aesthetics of design, which reminded of the same   aesthetics in my Fiat Palio which was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro.
But, both saws were extremely sluggish.
I am no engineer and work by instinct or what is termed as Jugaad here (Redneck technology elsewhere)
Since everything (components) looked of top quality, I suspected an ignition timing issue.
The ignition coil in these saws had  electronic advance and retard, which I suspected to me the cause of the issue. So I swapped the coil with a 'straightforward' regular coil. The results were unbelievable.
The importer faced a stonewall when he contacted the company. So he carried the GS820 with the swapped coil all the way to Italy to convince them. That same saw was tried out there and the result was that they introduced modified coils, which replaced the coils on the already sold saws over here.
I still have the GS720 with me from those trials. A really sweet saw! The only part I dont like is the outboard clutch and the slightly flimsy fixing of the axle for the rope rotor. Otherwise everything else was top class, slightly over engineered with a very heavy crankshaft which results in a high torque at mid and upper mid rpms. Very much suited in big timber with its lugging power.
All I have from that GS820 is this (see picture)
I had the newer GS650 too for trials. Another beautifully over engineered saw, with plenty of torque, built like a tank with power to weight ratios at a low priority. And one of the first from Oleomac/Effco/EMak with an inboard clutch.
These saws are built to last a very long time.
Unfortunately with an extremely bad rep (built mostly by the competition I suspect) they dont sell too well in a lot of places.
I will post a picture of the GS720 later

Thank You Sponsors!