iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Southern Blizzard

Started by Magicman, January 06, 2017, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The thermometer is dropping like a rock here.  It's already down to 30° and is forecast to reach a low of 29° tonight !!!  As I said, you Northern folks just don't understand.  This is some serious cold that we are dealing with.  :o

There is talk that we may just cancel tomorrow because it's supposed to be warmer Tuesday.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Those Northerner's senses are froze.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

You know Magicman, It can get cold riding it the chair with tail men working.
Good to get off the chair from time to time to warm up.

Sometimes the logs are frozen in.

Some will have to wait till spring.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 09, 2017, 07:54:38 AMSome will have to wait till spring.
Yup, that is exactly what I am doing.  No sawing until warmer weather next week.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

+ 3 this am, no wind 4" fresh snow added to the foot or so here. cleared my 700 ft long driveway, started a fire in my shop, just finished a bowl of oatmeal with dried cranberries and maple syrup. just another winter day in the swamp. Shop will be toasty when I get back down there in about another 45 minutes.
just another winter day in the swamp.
supposed to get to 55 on Thursday.
Would ordinarily be in FL by now but my wife has been suffering from double vision for the past month and we are waiting for a firm diagnosis.
Raider Bills cheese has been in my beer fridge vacuum packed for 2 weeks now but should be OK.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

here goes nothin    you guys from the south complain more about a little dusting of snow and cold than we do about your GRITS   just had to say it  :D :D 8) 8)

sawguy21

DanG it coxy, I almost spit coffee all over the keyboard. :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Oh no, no complaint.  This brutal weather is temporary.  Grits are forever.

Anyway, we have a Southerly breeze and the temperature is 50° and rising.  Our highs for the rest of the week will be the low 70°'s and our lows will be the low 60°'s.

Y'all come back now....ya hear.   smiley_wavy

gspren

Here in my part of PA we got/have about 2" of white with lows around 10F, 150 miles south at our "Beach" house in DE we have 10-12" snow :o. I don't think I'll go to the beach this week anyway.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

snowstorm

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 08, 2017, 08:02:14 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on January 08, 2017, 07:02:46 PM
well i guess ya all from the south would make fun of us when we complain about it being 75 to 80 degrees here in the summer

When I go to Maine and my brothers there tell me it's humid today I laugh out loud. :D

Take out any Mail boxes this year while plowing? ;D
mail boxes? i might have tagged one or two. with just the right snow conditions and speed i can open the doors on them and leave them standing. we went o a 75 mile snowmobile ride today. temp was 0 when we started all the way up to a steamy 8 when we got home. and yes i hate mail boxes everybody that plows hates them

Roxie

Our Roadmaster tells a funny story.  He was plowing a new development that had only about three occupied houses, and he was cruising pretty good with no traffic around.  He was turning a corner, and sent the port-a-john flying.  He did stop to check that it was empty before he went back to the Township building. 

Say when

thecfarm

Any of you that are not use to the cold need any cold sawing tips.  :D
I see WM has some blades for ya.  ;D
blades for the ones that eat grits
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Quote from: coxy on January 09, 2017, 11:36:51 AM
you guys from the south complain more about a little dusting of snow and cold than we do about your GRITS   :D :D 8) 8)

No way.  Not even close  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kensfarm

In an emergency like this.. you can use dry grits instead of sand.  ;D

Magicman

We are well into the 70°s now so the Grits would cook if you put them on the road.  :o

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: kensfarm on January 12, 2017, 12:26:03 AM
In an emergency like this.. you can use dry grits instead of sand.  ;D

You can even use dry grits to mix with tiny seeds like turnips and such so you can see where you have planted. Dad went to our local store one time and told Miz Elsie, the owner, he needed 5 lbs of grits and they could be old buggy ones as he was going to plant them, not eat them. Miz Elsie said she had never heard of anyone planting grits and dad told her "Oh yeah, it works great. The grits sprout first and shade the baby turnips keeping them from getting sunburned and stunted." Miz Elsie did not appreciate the humor in his reply.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

timberlinetree

We hit it in Tennessee, then Virginia, then out of it in Pennsylvania, then back in it crossing the hutson  in NY, then all the way to Mass. The car and SUV got quite salty!

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Jeff

It's 42 up here on the northern border of the United States. " I can see Canada from here"
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

rjwoelk

Yesterday morning 7am 35 f. last night after a snowy blustery day 0 f for cast of 35 to 40 by thursday. Yup climate change is here like it always has been . :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

starmac

I remember back ion the 70's when a guy in Texas got back from working on the pipeline in Alaska and he was interviewed by a news reporter.
They talked quite a bit about the conditions he worked in, at the end of it he was asked if that was the coldest he had ever been. He told them, heavens no, the coldest I heve ever been was sitting in a deer stand in Llano Texas. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Venison Fajitas.  :) I'd post pictures nut not enough signal.

47sawdust

My neighbor,Butch, was a pipe line welder in Wyoming in the early '80's.

He was workin' with a fella from Texas one gnarly November day and the geese were heading south.The fella started packing up his gear.Butch says,"What are you doing?"Fella says,"I'm going south,them geese aren't smarter than me."
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!