iDRY Vacuum Kilns

I dislike updates

Started by kiko, January 05, 2017, 09:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

I try to avoid all updates of the electronic devices I use.   Recently one of my children updated my iPad.  Now the FF is discombobulated and it is only on this iPad.  Is there anyway to fix this. Does anybody know if I can uninstall this updated?  The sponsor list takes up half the screen and the thread and topic is all the way to the right and to small to see.  I hate when people monkey with my stuff!

kiko

I did a Google search on how to uninstall this update and found it is way beyond my computer expertise.   But now the FF is back to normal. I must have scared it back right. 

sawguy21

I get annoyed when I turn on the computer and get 'Firefox is installing updates. This may take a few minutes'. >:( It's been working just fine, leave the DanG thing alone. I ignore the pop ups requesting installation of updates.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Weekend_Sawyer

I feel your pain. My Android pad did an update and now I can't type an update in the FF without every word being capitalized. (I'm using my work computer here) Makes it very tedious to hit unshift before typing each word.

On the other hand, updates are there for a reason. A lot of times to fix security problems.

There, I just argued both sides of that one!  ;D

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

my cell phone did a update the other day. Now my home screen has moved over 1 place so I can no longer just hit the home button and see my most used apps and the clock.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

clearcut

Updates, especially for web software, should not be ignored for security reasons. The bad guys are always looking for ways to break in.

Most of the time when an update "breaks" something, it can be fixed with by power cycling the device. This clears out old data from memory. Uninstalling and reinstalling affected apps may also help.

If that doesn't help, look at the settings of the app causing trouble. Updates will often add new features and there usually is a setting that will restore your desired options.

Weekend_Sawyer I believe there is a settings button on the keyboard (which is an app on Android) that can be toggled off. If the settings button is not on the keyboard itself, it may be in Settings-> Language & Input -> Keyboard. You could also try a different keyboard app like SwiftKey.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ox

I wonder how long it'll be until hackers use a legitimate looking update package to get in to our computers?  Scary to think about that one, isn't it?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools