The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Start of something big?  (Read 16268 times)

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
Re: Start of something big?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2001, 07:03:45 PM »
LW,
Don't know where you are in WV but we have seen them on I-77 near the Kanawha riverside just a few scattered.

Offline Ronald Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2001, 05:49:33 AM »
I have seen a few in woodlots in SE Pa.  Naturalization would be from planted stock, which is primarily ornamental.  These were all pretty small.

Your best chance of seeing them would then be on suburban and possibly rural woodlots.  When you get into areas that have substantial forested areas, the chances would be less, since you're farther removed from a seed source.

I imagine there shouldn't be too much of a problem along the Atlantic seaboard.  As you increase in elevation, your chances are reduced.  Another factor may be soil conditions.  Our soil is pretty good in this area, and in SE Pa, it gets even better.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Hugh Darty

• Hunting, Fishing, Camping,
    • darty contracting
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2001, 06:02:55 AM »
The place to find them is in areas where the soil has been disturbed in the past. Old surface mines, highway fills, and clayroots are prime place. One tree has a million seeds which are carried near and far by the wind, but they have to settle in just the right place to survive. Insects and nematoads love them, so an area with sterile soil conditions (burned brush piles from site prep are perfect) are the most likely places to find them. We see a lot of them in old barn drips also.
Hugh

Offline Hugh Darty

• darty contracting
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2001, 06:06:00 AM »
If anyone finds any of these trees, especially a large one, let me know. I still have contacts in Japan who might be interested.
Hugh

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2001, 07:03:35 AM »
Thanks, Don, for the info about paulownia by the Kanawha. I have my (fallow) farm in southern Ritchie county- not too far from the Little Kanawha, but closer to the Hughes river. It certainly has TREES- and my (non) management technique at present could easily include planting interesting species. This sounds like a worthwhile one.

BTW, as I approach 50 (born 9/5/51), I realize that some of what I start I will not see come to completion. So- why not plant trees? It's the same with kids- not likely you'll see the end of THAT story. My kids are grown, my animals as multiplying, but my trees are just getting started..

LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2001, 07:26:36 AM »
The wonder is not always in the finished product.

I can't wait to see the earth move as the seed sprouts, or see the first set of leaves open. We might not see the maturity of a tree we plant, but what a shame, the next generation didn't see the birth.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2001, 04:27:49 PM »
one source of potential concern- check out www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pato1.htm   .
  They seem to take the attitude that this is a very invasive species.
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2001, 05:13:01 PM »
I am not to concerned. I have read enough that the tree is already established in this country. I know of a couple specimens grown south of me as ornamentals. I would like to hear Hugh's take or some of the other southern guys what they think about the tree being an "alien pest".

Offline Hugh Darty

• darty contracting
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2001, 05:34:56 PM »
Well, I'm not surprised by the government opinion. The government contact who wrote the opinion is located in the Great Smoky Mts. Park, and there are several of these trees scattered around Gatlinburg. If you gathered every Paulownia tree in the park up and figured the acreage they have "taken over" in the last 100 years there probably would be less than 20 acres total. If you figure that the park has mayby 1 million acres you can see the threat is enormous. Give the trees another million years and they will have the park taken over!
Hugh

Offline Hugh Darty

• darty contracting
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2001, 06:10:42 PM »
Correct that million years, calculator says fifty thousand years.:o
Hugh

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2001, 09:52:48 AM »
Multiflora, The Blight, there are some that claim these aren't mountains at all, merely hapless trucks that pulled over for a nap when the Kudzu covered them over. All introduced, the rule of thinking 7 generations down the line makes sense.
Gordon got me out the other morning, Thanks. Up the ridge over the cliff...There's a couple of Chestnuts still trying.

Offline Ronald Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2001, 03:03:01 PM »
Don:  Add russian olive to that list.

Hugh:  The place where we take our pawlownia is C D Miller.  The last few we had were growing in with oak, so had nice, tight rings.  But, the buyer that stops in that area hasn't come around lately.  Japanese economy have anything to do with that?  Or is there too much supply coming from the South?

Offline Hugh Darty

• darty contracting
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2001, 07:58:40 PM »
Ron, I think the Japanese economy has something to do with it. I only know of one buyer working in the south right now. I have a few Japanese buyer friends that I haven't talked to in a year or two, I'll get the scoop and let yall know.
Hugh

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2001, 08:24:41 PM »
So do seeds develop to a zone or I guess acclimatize? Should Jeff be trying PA seeds also?

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2001, 05:07:12 PM »
I could not keep adequate track of the seed bed where it was in the skylight. So here is the new set up with a growlight.

Offline Gordon

• smoke free growing trees raising my 6 kids
    • JGforestry
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2001, 05:57:24 PM »
Jeff, the mirror on a ten foot stick got old quick.:D

Ron, I'll be looking for those flowers come spring. Now that I've got an idea what to look for. Quite an interesting tree. The down side to starting a large amout of them is an iffy market. But one never knows which way it will go.

How come this wood isn't used stateside for anything? Or are we looking at a major growth market in the future.
Gordon

Offline Ronald Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2001, 03:02:05 PM »
There just isn't any demand.  It is too soft for most furniture, but it might be decent for the carving crowd.

I doubt if there will be any demand generated in this country.  We go in cycles of ring porous and ring diffuse woods for our furniture, flooring, and trim.  We are now ending the oak phase and going back to the maple phase.  Pawlownia just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

European favorites have been mahogany for years.  Since they are rain forest trees, they have fallen out of favor.  They have switched over to cherry, and that is driving those markets.  

If the European crowd doesn't want pawlownia, I doubt we would either.  Just a gut feeling.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2001, 05:29:47 PM »
03/07/2001
No sprouts yet...

Offline Hugh Darty

• darty contracting
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2001, 05:38:14 PM »
Don, I really don't know if it would make any difference on where the seeds came from, but I doubt it. I'm sure our trees came here from the east coast, probably from seed from the same trees yours decended from.
Hugh

Offline RavioliKid

• If it's FREE, I'll take it; If it's CHEAP, I'll buy it; NEVER throw anything away!
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2001, 07:04:13 PM »
Jeff and Hugh, (and anyone else who is interested)

We planted our paulownia seeds today! The kids (my 17 third grade students) were absolutely amazed by the seeds. They couldn't believe how tiny they were. I put a few in small ziploc bags for them to pass around, and they were suitably impressed when I showed them pictures of the tree and the leaves on the internet. They were surprised about the small size of the seeds and the large size of the tree and leaves.

When I showed them the contents of the baggie Hugh had sent me, they just about flipped! I guess they didn't expect to see so many seeds - and that was just from a couple of pods. (I think - the pods got crushed in the mail, so it was hard to tell how many there were originally.)

I ended up going with a heated tray, which I got a Menards for less than $30. I put them in the sunniest spot I could. I might be getting a grow lamp next week.

I'll keep you posted.

Kim
RavioliKid